Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul Sommerville on Vincent Browne tonight....

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

onekeano wrote: »
    WOW that's interesting.... sounded to me that people like Constantine Gurdgive, Brian Lucey and David McWilliams to name but a few did not think that Paul was out of his depth.......so much so that they gave up their time to support his campaign presenting at publin meetings and dropping leaflets at weekend but maybe they are out of their depth too?

Roy

Another argument from authority. No wonder you love him so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I saw him on VB, he looked out of his depth on economic issues. I should know a thing or two about this, it is my profession, after all.
    It's also Sommerville's profession. He worked for Delta Index (head of private clients) and also spent years advising investment banks in Japan. He most definitely knows how the market works.

Blowfish wrote: »
    It's also Sommerville's profession. He worked for Delta Index (head of private clients) and also spent years advising investment banks in Japan. He most definitely knows how the market works.

Really? Didn't seem like that. I guess he is crap as getting his ideas across, then.

WOW that's interesting.... sounded to me that people like Constantine Gurdgive, Brian Lucey and David McWilliams to name but a few did not think that Paul was out of his depth.......so much so that they gave up their time to support his campaign presenting at publin meetings and dropping leaflets at weekend but maybe they are out of their depth too?

Roy

By the way, McWilliams endorsed Dylan Haskins.

ROFL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭vallo

I saw him on VB, he looked out of his depth on economic issues. I should know a thing or two about this, it is my profession, after all.
    Pots and kettles anyone??:D:D:D
    Unless I didn't understand the 'nuances' in his argument. All he had to offer were other peoples arguments, which he seems to have misunderstood. When Antoin Murphy disagreed, Sommervilles response was like: 'Well, Joseph Stiglitz said it, so who would you believe, a nobel prize winner or you (antoin)?' That is an argument from authority, which is the tactic of those who don't have an argument of their own. Glad to clear that 'nuance' up for you, it was an easy mistake to make, in fairness...
    So his quoting an authority one time out of all his appearances on VB and on radio and in his town hall meeting means that he can be discounted??
    Ridiculous.

vallo wrote: »
    Pots and kettles anyone??:D:D:D

So his quoting an authority one time out of all his appearances on VB and on radio and in his town hall meeting means that he can be discounted??
    Ridiculous.

I knew someone would fall into that trap eventually, thanks for that. Mine wasn't an argument from authority, but we both know that you wouldn't listen to my explanation for why it isn't, don't we? So I can spare myself that wasted effort.

Anyway, the people have spoken, and Sommerville is not in the Dail. He was deemed unfit for a seat. Get used to that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭onekeano

I knew someone would fall into that trap eventually, thanks for that. Mine wasn't an argument from authority, but we both know that you wouldn't listen to my explanation for why it isn't, don't we? So I can spare myself that wasted effort.

Anyway, the people have spoken, and Sommerville is not in the Dail. He was deemed unfit for a seat. Get used to that fact.

Well Duke, have to say, whatever you are on.... it's great stuff!

Roy

Well Duke, have to say, whatever you are on.... it's great stuff!

Roy

I applaud your enthusiasm, Roy. You work hard. At least you have that.

P.S: Sommerville was deemed inadequate. Accept it.

So if he had (like you just did) simply said "I am economist so you should implicitly trust me" then that would have been okay?
    I should know a thing or two about this, it is my profession, after all. ."
    By saying that "you should know", you are claiming authority ... otherwise why bring it up? Am I supposed to think "oooh a guy on the internet is in the profession so Somerville must be wrong?" Get a grip.
    You've also conveniently ignored the point that you are dismissing him based on one sentence of one contribution.
    Yes I know that he didn't win a seat. Why state the obvious? Surely lots of good people didn't get elected and lots of crap people did. Like in all elections. What have you got against people discussing the whys and wherefores the outcome of the election? This is a discussion board.
    And the whole "get used to it" line is just so .... juvenile.

• Advertisement

So if he had (like you just did) simply said "I am economist so you should implicitly trust me" then that would have been okay?

By saying that "you should know", you are claiming authority ... otherwise why bring it up? Am I supposed to think "oooh a guy on the internet is in the profession so Somerville must be wrong?" Get a grip.
    You've also conveniently ignored the point that you are dismissing him based on one sentence of one contribution.

Yes I know that he didn't win a seat. Why state the obvious? Surely lots of good people didn't get elected and lots of crap people did. Like in all elections. What have you got against people discussing the whys and wherefores the outcome of the election? This is a discussion board.
    And the whole "get used to it" line is just so .... juvenile.

The only reason I mentioned it was to say why I thought he was so weak on economic issues. How else would I know if I didn't have my educational and work experience? I realise a load of toss is spouted about the field on this forum by people with no education in economics, so I wished to state that I wasn't one of them. But it wasn't the thrust of my argument because with or without my credentials it doesn't change the fact that Sommerville was useless, when I saw him. My credentials make no difference to that outcome but they did help me see through his babble.

I guess I just wanted to sidestep the inevitable 'what would you know about economics' line. Silly me to introduce such confusion to an already complex argument... :rollys:

So, no argument from authority was made, you are clearly confused on this matter. If you want an example of arguments from authority, look no further than your failed hero Sommerville.

All the best.

Duke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

cock robin wrote: »
    I dont think Paul Sommerville is an idiot. Was his father not Dr.Michael Sommerville of NTMA fame. The man who refused to invest in Anglo Irish cos he knew it was bollixed. He is more pationate than any politician and I have seen him almost moved to tears as he witnessed the erosion of our once healthy economy. Who are the "people with expertise" to whom you refer, I was under the impression that P.Sommerville and his ilk are those "people" and that they have continually been ignored. A celebrity he most certainly is not and the single biggest issue we must deal with is the countries finances.

Given the history of Eoghan Murphy's grandfather Russell, it might not be best to ascribe ancestral abilities. In any event Michael Somers is not related to Paul Summerville.

... because with or without my credentials it doesn't change the fact that Sommerville was useless ...
    Okay, so now we are getting somewhere. Sommerville was useless and you are "in the profession" so that is that. The discussion ends there?
    Let me ask you, does real life work for you like that?
    So, no argument from authority was made, you are clearly confused on this matter. If you want an example of arguments from authority, look no further than your failed hero Sommerville.
    Geeze - I really do seem to be getting more confused on this issue! But luckily you have more examples of this kind of thing from Sommerville. Let's hear them.

Okay, so now we are getting somewhere. Sommerville was useless and you are "in the profession" so that is that. The discussion ends there?
    Let me ask you, does real life work for you like that?

Geeze - I really do seem to be getting more confused on this issue! But luckily you have more examples of this kind of thing from Sommerville. Let's hear them.

I win.

I win.

Yes you do.
    In your bizarre parallel universe:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Duke, so what were the problems with Somervilles economic analyses, in your professional opinion. And please spell it out for us non-economist mortals, no throwaway statements like 'he was wrong'.

If I was asked to choose between someone who has decent verifiable credentials, who puts forth his ideas with passion, who puts himself forward to try and make a difference... and someone who posts anonymously on a niche politics website under a ridiculous moniker, well the decision is obvious, unless of course you can articulate a rational rebuttal of his points.

• Advertisement
Advertisement