Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Close vote count?

• 26-02-2011 6:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭

I just saw the preliminary numbers for Galway East and it looks like with around 10 candidates there's only about a thousand votes separating the top eight, with the lowest two candidates with only around 500 each.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Its gonna be a long night in New Inn.

I cant beleive Kitt is toping the poll, so much for the Boards.ie poll which had him near the bottom!

I see that Tom McHugh missed out by 2 votes.
    Has he requested a recount ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

11:30

I just heard they've gone home for the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

McHugh is looking for a recount. Will labour actually get a seat? I voted for them and didnt think they would manage it but its close

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Probably the most exciting count of the whole day and RTE devotes a whole 2 sentences to it?

It is actually a constitency that FG are struggling in (2 seats in '07 & looking like 2 again) which should also make it more interesting.

There are 2 votes between McHugh & Broderick for christs sake; Keaveney is only slightly ahead as well. It is amazing the way this has played out, nobody gave Keaveney a hope this morning. I'd say Keaveney is praying McHugh is knocked out in the recount. He could get some nice transfers there.

I never really gave much credence to the view that RTE only cared about Dublin but today, they have put way too much focus on Dublin (And to a lesser extent, Cork).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

friends with a relation of tim brodericks, and a mix up with the register meant i wasn't allowed vote, I would have voted for mchugh. I was joking with my friend saying if he loses out by one that's the reason, crazy how it's so close. how likely would it be that mchugh will get in after the re count?

mink_man wrote: »
    how likely would it be that mchugh will get in after the re count?

Quite possible by the sound ot things.
    They still seem to be finding uncounted ballot papers under the flower pots out at the count centre. :mad:

McHughs out.

It looks like they're on the final count now.

McHughs out.

It looks like they're on the final count now.

Where is your source?

The "Tuam Whats on" facebook groups has reported this just 7 minutes ago:
    Tom McHugh has unofficially gained 6 and lost 4...nearly 60,000 ballot papers scrutinised. Now forecasting a result in the next hour. I wonder what the delay is - it was supposed to be 2pm, then just before 3, then "imminent" - you'd think they'd be able to gauge progress a bit tighter.

• Advertisement

I could be wrong but there's a big red "X" next to his name:

http://www.rte.ie/news/election2011/results/galway-east.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I could be wrong but there's a big red "X" next to his name:

http://www.rte.ie/news/election2011/results/galway-east.html
    yes but it also says
    recount in progress

McHugh was eliminated on 7th count last night. A recount has been going on since this morning which is what RTE is currently showing. It seems to be bizarrely close.

What actually happens if 2 candidates end up with the same amount?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

McHugh was eliminated on 7th count last night. A recount has been going on since this morning which is what RTE is currently showing. It seems to be bizarrely close.

What actually happens if 2 candidates end up with the same amount?

I was wondering the same. It's been suggested by mates that it'll go down to who of the two originally had the most 1st preferences, but I doubt it:confused:

Tom McHugh suggesting he will not be eliminated now. This works very much against Keaveney & Labour.

"Tuam Guide" on facebook states:

INSIDE TRACK.... no result in sight. Possible full recount. Labour may mount legal challenge. Could be days.

McHugh was allowed to call for a recount when he lost out by 2 votes. If he wins this time, lets say by 10 votes, does Broderick have the right to call for another recount then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Galway East election over;
    Kitt (FF), Connaughton (FG), Cannon (FG) and Keaveny (Lab) are now elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 SimpleOrder

thats gonna be a long night

Advertisement