Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't handle the Stress!!

Options
  • 28-02-2011 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

The job i'm in at the moment is really starting to get to me and I don't think I can handle the stress of it anymore.

I know a lot of it is my own doing and I'm trying to manage the stress levels better but the more I'm in work the more stressed I get and now it's starting to affect my health.

Has anyone else been like this in a job and what have you done to overcome it? I'm now thinking of just handing in my notice but the fear factor is there with the current jobs market.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,726 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If it's affecting your health, you need to consult your GP.

We cannot give medical/health advice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭X1R

Is it the job, the people, the workload?
    I am in a job at the moment and just over 18 months ago it all got to much for me (the people involved made my life hell). I thought about leaving, quitting and even suicide, it had got that bad. In the end I made a pretty good attempt at shooting a colleague and my boss. I just snapped and had the shotgun in my hands, fortunatly I had used the last of the cartridges earlier in the week. I took a month out with stress, seen a psychologist & took anger management classes and came through it.
    From this time off and with the different meetings I learned a few things that made it alot easier:
    1: You are not on your own. There are loads of people in your situation.
    2: There is a way out, the way you go is up to you. Look at your options.
    3: If it is the people around you thats the cause, You cannot change them
    you can only change the way you deal with them.

I hope all works out for you, and it gets better.
    Oh, the boss has since been fired and been revealed that he didn't know his nose from his knob.
    good luck, remember, you are not on your own. J....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

X1R wrote: »
    In the end I made a pretty good attempt at shooting a colleague and my boss. I just snapped and had the shotgun in my hands, fortunatly I had used the last of the cartridges earlier in the week. I took a month out with stress, seen a psychologist & took anger management classes and came through it.

Are you serious?:eek:

OP, having spent a long period of time under serious stress at work myself, I have also discovered a few things.

Firstly ask yourself how much of this stress you're creating for yourself.
    Are you putting too much pressure on yourself? Are you trying to be perfect all the time? Are you taking on too much work?

Secondly look around and ask yourself who else is causing you stress, and how you're reacting to them. We can project our feelings onto people a lot of the time, imagining they hate/dislike us, reacting badly to requests from them to do certain things, feeling we're being picked on, stuff like that.The worst part of it is that it all feeds into itself...once you start thinking that way, it's hard to break that cycle.

I might suggest you read a few books on the subject...there's a lot of them out there. Don't Sweat the Small Stuff (and DSTSS at work), are good to start with.

If there is genuinely somebody who's treating you badly though, you do need to talk to someone more senior and see if you can sort it out....or visit your GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Why it's how I got my username :pac:

OP, go see a GP. If for nothing else just a chat, my GP didn't give me anything like drugs but it was great to talk to someone.

Dodge the negative influences. Every company has dreary souls who do nothing but moan and complain. You'd want to slit your wrists by 9:30am just listening to them. Get rid of them and shut them out.

A lot of companies "aren't wasting a good recession" and cut back staff to unrealistic levels. So it's probably not a question that you aren't capable, just your bosses are asking too much.

The grass isn't always greener, the issues in your current job could well be in your next job.
    But don't be afraid to leave, maybe best to get a new job before you quit

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭X1R

dan_d wrote: »
    Are you serious?:eek: QUOTE]

Yeah, I had taken so much descrimination and bullying that I just kept running the comments, taunts, snide remarks and daily BS round my head until I eventually could see no other way out (I had contemplated suicide) but thought, I'm not the problem, Let's go sort the problem !!

That is not me at all, but what I had been made and now I realise,
    had created myself. And for the OP, the last part is the important part.
    You cannot change those around you, you can only change the way you perceve them and react to them.

I dunno is it the people or the work that is the issue for you, but good luck ;).

• Advertisement
Advertisement