Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sound out when using HDMI cable on Laptop

Options
  • 13-01-2016 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

When I use the HDMI connection on my laptop and plug in a sound out jack plug I cannot get sound though my tv

On the other hand when I plug in a VGA(?) cable and a sound out jack plug I can get sound

Why wont it work with the HDMI cable as the picture is better quality with this but all picture and NO Sound.

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

From this video...

No sound when using your computer to connect via HDMI? (for ATI cards)

Since your computer has multiple audio output devices it needs to know which one to use when you switch video displays.

Simply go to Start, control panel, Hardware and sound, Sound/Manage audio devices

then set it to default and click ok

Hope that works!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thanks a lot but can you tell me where to go in Win 10?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

vicwatson wrote: »
    Thanks a lot but can you tell me where to go in Win 10?

I think there's a search bar in the start menu, if you type "sound" in there it should list Sound/Audio Settings.

Sorry, I don't have Win10 installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

not sure of your setup, but sometimes there's a driver for sound via HDMI, in graphics card drivers, although it could also be a windows issue

Etnies wrote: »
    not sure of your setup, but sometimes there's a driver for sound via HDMI, in graphics card drivers, although it could also be a windows issue

How do you mean setup? I just plug it in to TV if I want to watch a youtube video or the likes, work fine with vga cable and jack plug but no sound out when I use the hdmi cable with jack plug i dont get sound from the TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭GTTDI GOD

vicwatson wrote:
    How do you mean setup? I just plug it in to TV if I want to watch a youtube video or the likes, work fine with vga cable and jack plug but no sound out when I use the hdmi cable with jack plug i dont get sound from the TV

You don't need a jack plug with a HDMI cable, they do both video and audio

Still not working. Anyone got a link to a good YouTube video or website to show me how to set this up with win 10 laptop?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

vicwatson wrote: »
    Still not working. Anyone got a link to a good YouTube video or website to show me how to set this up with win 10 laptop?

Have you tried using the hdmi on its own? There's no need for a sound out jack to be used as well as the hdmi.
    Also have you tried right clicking on the sound icon on the bottom of the screen and making the hdmi output the default option and then restarting the laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

I had the same problem. Once the TV is connected using the hdmi cable, the TV should show up as being connected in my computer (i think). You right click and set it as default. This might have to be done in the playback tab under sound settings, I don't remember, but the TV is somewhere to right click and make it default.

Hope that is explained clearly

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Check out AudioSwitcher for the easiest way to change the audio output. I had a nightmare years ago trying to setup a friends laptop through a TV, turned out that the laptop would only output the sound if the resolution was the correct 1, the sound would only work with 1 resolution.

• Advertisement

Brilliant, got it working. When I plugged it in again the pop up box showed tv source and I just made it the default. Cheers for all contributions

Advertisement