Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Weddings

Options
  • 15-09-2015 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Apologies if this has been asked or debated previously, however, given that Ireland has since legalised gay marriage - when do we expect to see these happen? When will gays actually be able to go and 'marry'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Gotta wait for the dail to actually pass laws based on the referendum result, and there are a pair of absolute clowns attempting legal challenges, which are 100% doomed to failure but they still require time to process. Not likely before Christmas unfortunately.

That said, gay people have been having weddings for years, they just didn't get to sign the same bit of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Timeline
    Cabinet apparently discussing Marriage Bill tomorrow

Needs to pass through the Dail and Seanad (probably from next week for about three weeks/ a month?)

Once passed then generally couples will have to give three months notice. Exemptions could be civil partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Daith wrote: »
    Timeline
    Cabinet apparently discussing Marriage Bill tomorrow

Needs to pass through the Dail and Seanad (probably from next week for about three weeks/ a month?)

Once passed then generally couples will have to give three months notice. Exemptions could be civil partners.

I think people who have given three months to get civil partnered could change the notice from civil partnership to marriage so potentially you could have marriage ceremonies from October.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭Daith

Minister Fitzgerald publishes Marriage Bill 2015

http://justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/PR15000470

• Advertisement
Advertisement