Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What gives you hope?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

So for all of you whipper snappers out there who don't think they'll ever find someone, or for those who doubt that gay relationships last as long or are as serious as straight ones... well, here we are! And I couldn't be happier.

:D:D:D

That's so nice. I needed to hear that for a while. Congrats to ye both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cosmic Maybe

Frank Ocean performing Forrest Gump live at the at the Grammys gives me hope.

And this makes me smile.....

Adele seen shouting at Chris Brown at Grammys:)

And fyi Macklemore Same Love is no. 1 in Australia :D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Tainor

Hope: when all is lost, Hope is left.

I hope for a bright future, where people would not need to “come-out”. A world where being gay is not an “issue”, where gay rights, are simply human rights and where we stand not for same-sex love, but for love itself.

I hope for a time where young people will not feel the pressure of society to fit within a stereotype, or take their own lives because of whom they are. But most of all, I hope that we learn from our mistakes and accept each individual for who they are.
    Yes I hope, yes I am just a single person, but that has never stopped me, for hope is a weapon that never breaks.

Hope, it stood by me, through thick and thin, good and bad, joys and pain.
    Hope, I seek for a future, where brightness of life shines. Hope the weapon of choice for the deathless, where words are tougher than the mightiest of swords and with words and hope, the faith of many is weaved.

Hope, the endless sensation in the darkest day, and endless nights…standing firm and never giving-out!

There+is+always+hope-251688.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Tainor wrote: »
    Hope: when all is lost, Hope is left.

I hope for a time where young people will not feel the pressure of society to fit within a stereotype, or take their own lives because of whom they are. But most of all, I hope that we learn from our mistakes and accept each individual for who they are.
    Yes I hope, yes I am just a single person, but that has never stopped me, for hope is a weapon that never breaks.

Really really nice. Many thanks for this. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ashers22

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10110133/

stopped in to see my mam after work who just happened to be watching this, it sparked an interesting discussion and left me with a sense of hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Soldering_Iorn

Came out to my parents on Sunday night.

My mother (from a very catholic 11 children family, weekly mass go-er etc.) ensured that I realise how the 'stigma' attatched to being gay is not what it used to be, to live life to the fullest and be who you are!

THIS gives me hope! :D

_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Robbie Rogers, a 25 year old professional footballer, came out earlier this month. Only hearing about it today.

While it is so good to see someone in a relatively high-profile position to have the strength to come out, there is a slight negative aspect to it; he has retired from professional football.

It would have done so much to help quell homophobia in football (one particular area of modern society that is still trapped in the 1950's in regards sexuality, racism and other issues) to have a young player coming out as gay and saying to the football world "Don't judge me, love me!" (or something to that effect).

On the other hand, one can hugely sympathise with his position. I'm a die-hard football fan, so I know of whence I speak.

The difficulties he would have faced had he continued to play would have been enormous. The first problem would have been the fans; particularly opposition fans. The goading and the harassment would have been almost non-stop from the away end.

The second, and perhaps worse problem, would have come from his fellow players and his own teammates. Would they accept him, or would they (stupidly) refuse to be in the changing room with him after matches or such rubbish? You can talk about equal rights and civil liberties all you want, but football is still a pretty intolerant game towards anything that is different and not 'short-back-and-sides'.

While I'd hope he will continue to ply his trade as a footballer, maybe next season when everything has calmed down, I think it is wonderful to see someone in the game come out. It can only be a good thing, and can only pave the way to help more players who are undoubtedly fearful of coming out.

In Germany, there is a group being set up to help gay footballers. And even one of the top German footballers, Mario Gómez, has said that he is totally for gay rights and hopes players will some day no longer be fearful.

Considering how long it is still taking to get racism out of football, homophobia is still there for the long haul. But it won't be there forever. And that should give those frightened few who are sadly trapped some hope for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,857 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

Not really sure if this has been posted yet, but my twitter feed got absolutely bombarded about this, and it really did something for me. Thought I'd spread the joy!

Even reading the youtube comments; support there is immense. Trolls must be under their bridges or something...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,857 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ash885 wrote: »
    Not really sure if this has been posted yet, but my twitter feed got absolutely bombarded about this, and it really did something for me. Thought I'd spread the joy!

Even reading the youtube comments; support there is immense. Trolls must be under their bridges or something...

Just came across this in the guardian.
    Same love; different lyrics

A riposte to homophobia from the poppy end of hip-hop may be the most profound song either genre has produced

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

Ash885 wrote: »

Aye, it has been posted but sure what harm, the more publicity, the better! Strangely enough, it's actually one of my least favourite songs of that album, although that's probably from listening to it too much! Macklemore has some great songs that you'd actually listen to the lyrics. Came across this video from him the last night as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

In spite of all the badness and destruction we see on TV from around the Globe, I know and have seen the good that people are capable of. Gay or straight, black or white... at the end of the day, we are all the same. We all "well, most of us", love to listen to music, our feet will tap or our hearts will beat, with music playing in the background, no matter what the situation is.

What gives me hope and with all that is good, gives me hope is that we all come from something that is a unique path, designed just for YOU. A final product that has the power to influence not only the love our parent embraced us with from the day we were born, but a love that we inherit from them. Sometimes that love requires a wee bit of work and tweaking. It is up to us and only us, to offer that love, even at times when it is thrown in our faces or to the basis that the empathy, love, compassion and more importantly, unconditional love that we give to everyone, not only our partner, but any person that we may be indulgent to be dismissive of but yet give the benefit of the doubt.

Life isn't about finding the perfect partner, finding that ultimate love, or that ever eluding fulfilment. It's about just being happy, its about being happy about who you are. Its about the excitement or worry about what tomorrow is going to bring. Whether you're jealous, if you're sad, if you feel incomplete... don't worry :)... as time goes by, like a jigsaw and with enough wonder, it'll all fall in to place. Peace and Love xx sound :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭lazorgirl

My five year old niece asking me yesterday when will i be getting married to M? then quickly advising me not to as i wont have time if i'm married to bring her to fun places then changing her mind a few seconds later to say its ok if i get married to M as she is really good fun and can come along too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Any bit of progress is good, even if it's only a gimic at the Eurovision:

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/thats-so-2003-finlands-eurovision-entrant-krista-to-kiss-female-backing-singer-on-stage-29272739.html
    IT’S been a decade since Russian lesbian pop group TATU represented their country, tantalising the media with the possibility of the first ever same sex kiss on a Eurovision stage.

However the girl group didn’t seal the deal, after organisers at the time warned them the Eurovision was a family show and such a move could see them disqualified.

However it looks like this year’s Finnish entry called ‘Marry me’ by singer Krista could be about to make history.

As part of her performance of the up-tempo pop song she will kiss a female backing singer at the end of the track.

Although attitudes have changed drastically in most European countries over the last decade, the move is expected to provoke outrage in more socially conservative Eastern European countries.

Krista has said the kiss will be statement in support of marriage equality, as she is against discrimination which exists in many European countries.

However organisers have this year not banned the kiss as part of the performance, and it is expected it will feature as part of the Finnish performance in tonight’s semi final.

finland.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cnn27

This gives me hope..seems like more and more countries/US states are legalizing gay marriage, even just in the past week there's been good news from France, Brazil and Minnesota in the US

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/french-council-rules-gay-marriage-law-is-constitutional-1st-marriages-expected-by-mays-end/2013/05/17/e115beba-bf0a-11e2-b537-ab47f0325f7c_story.html

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1766552/Brazil-clears-way-for-gay-marriage

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/15/minnesota-governor-makes-gay-marriage-legal

Also, this video gives me hope, great to see a young straight male celebritiy coming out in support for gay people
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI1oIDmGAXs

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

this thread really is awesome, cant add much except this :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikzQmC3S-mE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

DazMarz wrote: »
    Robbie Rogers, a 25 year old professional footballer, came out earlier this month. Only hearing about it today.

While it is so good to see someone in a relatively high-profile position to have the strength to come out, there is a slight negative aspect to it; he has retired from professional football.

It would have done so much to help quell homophobia in football (one particular area of modern society that is still trapped in the 1950's in regards sexuality, racism and other issues) to have a young player coming out as gay and saying to the football world "Don't judge me, love me!" (or something to that effect).

On the other hand, one can hugely sympathise with his position. I'm a die-hard football fan, so I know of whence I speak.

The difficulties he would have faced had he continued to play would have been enormous. The first problem would have been the fans; particularly opposition fans. The goading and the harassment would have been almost non-stop from the away end.

The second, and perhaps worse problem, would have come from his fellow players and his own teammates. Would they accept him, or would they (stupidly) refuse to be in the changing room with him after matches or such rubbish? You can talk about equal rights and civil liberties all you want, but football is still a pretty intolerant game towards anything that is different and not 'short-back-and-sides'.

While I'd hope he will continue to ply his trade as a footballer, maybe next season when everything has calmed down, I think it is wonderful to see someone in the game come out. It can only be a good thing, and can only pave the way to help more players who are undoubtedly fearful of coming out.

In Germany, there is a group being set up to help gay footballers. And even one of the top German footballers, Mario Gómez, has said that he is totally for gay rights and hopes players will some day no longer be fearful.

Considering how long it is still taking to get racism out of football, homophobia is still there for the long haul. But it won't be there forever. And that should give those frightened few who are sadly trapped some hope for the future.

Robbie Rogers has just signed for LA Galaxy, he'll be the first openly gay guy in a major US sport.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2013/05/25/4004458/la-galaxy-acquire-robbie-rogers-from-chicago-for-mike-magee

Robbie Rogers (the 25 year old footballer who retired just after he came out) has come out (excuse the pun) of retirement and has signed for LA Galaxy.

Delighted for him! :)

Awh, I was hoping to give you the good news!

Robbie Rogers has just signed for LA Galaxy, he'll be the first openly gay guy in a major US sport.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2013/05/25/4004458/la-galaxy-acquire-robbie-rogers-from-chicago-for-mike-magee

Just to nitpick on your post slightly... an NBA player recently came out too. So Robbie will be the second openly gay guy in a major US sport.

Sorry to nitpick... :o

Damn you're right, my bad. Second pro in major team sports it is...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/23/transgender-teenage-couple-arin-andrews-katie-hill_n_3639220.html

I didn't know what thread to put this in, or if I should start a new thread, but this seemed the appropriate area. When I first saw the photo, I wondered what was so earth-shattering. Then I read the article. Wow. If that doesn't lift your spirits, I don't know what will!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Lovely to read that they found each other whilst also finding themselves. Happy for them both. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

Advertisement