Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The all new, revised and easier quiz! (mod note posts 1 and 2042)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

One of them didn't study. He read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

garancafan wrote: »
    One of them didn't study. He read.

Studied will do for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

yes.

I'm actually shocked. Total guess

Who was the father of the children of lir?

I should know this but it won't come to me. I am useless at Irish mythology yet remember Greek and Roman. Baaah!!!!!

;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭samsid

Is it not Lir or King Lir, as I remember King Lir had 4 children, when their mother died, he remarried Aoife , who grew to hate the children
    and transformed them into swans, condemning them to remain as such for either 2 or 3 hundred years, that's about all I remember

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

samsid wrote: »
    Is it not Lir or King Lir, as I remember King Lir had 4 children, when their mother died, he remarried Aoife , who grew to hate the children
    and transformed them into swans, condemning them to remain as such for either 2 or 3 hundred years, that's about all I remember

Bingo.
    Got that wrong in a table quiz once upon a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Who was the father of the children of lir?

Would it be the same man who composed Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony? ( I can't for the life of me remember his name.)

Old King Lir
    Went on the beer
    And stayed there three hundred years.

His kids were neglected
    He stayed unaffected
    As he lifted his glass and said "Cheers."

what's the connection between Batman and James Bond?

feargale wrote: »
    Would it be the same man who composed Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony? ( I can't for the life of me remember his name.)

Me neither, I can't recollect who Beethoven's pastor was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

what's the connection between Batman and James Bond?

Could we ask for more details please, i.e. which Batman, and which James Bond? And if there are no differences then it might be summat to do with film director or musical score mebbe?

• Advertisement

Adam West claimed he had been approached to play Bond but it was often denied elsewhere.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Could we ask for more details please, i.e. which Batman, and which James Bond? And if there are no differences then it might be summat to do with film director or musical score mebbe?

certainly Batman onscreen and the James Bond movie franchise, nothing to do with directors or movie scores ,
    the connection still exists today Iwill say it's quite a solid link between the two

Adam West claimed he had been approached to play Bond but it was often denied elsewhere.

not the answer I'm afraid, it's a documented fact, not a tenous claim, as said in another post, it deals with Batman onscreen and James Bond on screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Something, something, cat villain...

looksee wrote: »
    Something, something, cat villain...

sorry no , a little clue, the link is a person, sometimes actor, but not his given profession, he hasn't played either Batman or James Bond

Yer man that's not really an actor did that thing about James Batman Bond.

Samsid, it's a bit vague in the question. Could you reword it in someway?

Yer man that's not really an actor did that thing about James Batman Bond.

Samsid, it's a bit vague in the question. Could you reword it in someway?

It's not really vague, but ok

there is a link between Batman & James Bond, I elaborated that it's between onscreen versions of Batman & Bond, not the books,nor comics, bearing in mind the onscreen versions of Batman began in 1943 and Bond appeared on TV first in 1955 i think. The link with Bond concerns the official movie franchise

The link is a person, he has acted in small/ cameo parts, acting is not their profession . TBH if you are a fan of either character short of giving the answer, I have hinted strongly here in this post , the answer will bear this out

so put simply who is the link ?

I've thunk and thunk but am not a fan enough to know the answer or even guess. I'm out.

Me too, maybe its one of Bond's gorgeous girlies was the plain one in Batman? No, I'm mixing it up with Superman, but there was sure to have been a gorgeous girl in Batman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Is it Sammy Davis Jr.? I remember his appearance in Batman (leaning out a window as Bats & Robin climbed the building using their batropes) and he is an 'occasional' actor but I don't remember him in any Bond film. Did he have a bit part in Live and Let Die perhaps?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

OldGoat wrote: »
    Is it Sammy Davis Jr.? I remember his appearance in Batman (leaning out a window as Bats & Robin climbed the building using their batropes) and he is an 'occasional' actor but I don't remember him in any Bond film. Did he have a bit part in Live and Let Die perhaps?

that's a good point, Sammy Davis Jnr could have had a part in Bond, Dean Martins uncle played the comedian 'Shady Tree' in 'Diamonds are Forever'

Anyway time for the answer

The link is Michael G Wilson, stepson of Cubby Broccoli , Wikson is a co producer of the Bond movies, taking cameo parts in many. Wilsons natural father Lewis Wilson was the 1st man to play Batman onscreen
    in Columbia's 'Batman' movie serial in 1943.

Here's another movie based question

which actor /singer was the character of 'Dirty' Harry Callahan written specifically for?

that's a good point, Sammy Davis Jnr could have had a part in Bond, Dean Martins uncle played the comedian 'Shady Tree' in 'Diamonds are Forever'

The link is Michael G Wilson, stepson of Cubby Broccoli , Wikson is a co producer of the Bond movies, taking cameo parts in many. Wilsons natural father Lewis Wilson was the 1st man to play Batman onscreen

Ah come on Samsid, if this were a film-buff thread you might possibly have got an answer there, but that is so obscure as to be impossible. And who is Cubby Broccoli? Hope your second question is a bit more reasonable - I wouldn't know, I am not a film person.

Here's another movie based question

which actor /singer was the character of 'Dirty' Harry Callahan written specifically for?
    Sinatra was to play the role. John Wayne was mentioned at one time too.

Ah come on Samsid, if this were a film-buff thread you might possibly have got an answer there, but that is so obscure as to be impossible. And who is Cubby Broccoli? Hope your second question is a bit more reasonable - I wouldn't know, I am not a film person.
    I know it's a bit of a film buff question but Broccoli is as well known as a film maker as Coppola, Kubrick or Scott. He is to the spy film what Hitchcock is to the horror or Leone is to the (spaggetti) Western. He has a huge body of work behind him.
    Just sayin'.

Sinatra was to play the role. John Wayne was mentioned at one time too.

your spot on with Sinatra, the Finks , the creators wrote specifically for Sinatra, there were 'lobby shots' created of Sinatra as Dirty Harry' howeve rthe official reason for him withdrawing from the role ,an old wrist injury
    stopped him from holding or firing the trademark 44 magnum the character uses

What is the world's largest fish?

getting a bit stiff there m8, as a quizzer of over 35 years knowledge,useless, trivial or not accumulates, the answer ,far from impossible,it's been mentioned several time in extras on Bond dvd's, who is Cubby Brpccoli,? the Producer
    of the Bond movies... his family were credited with the development of the broccoli vegetable. I thought this thread was meant to be a bit of fun, I had no intention of setting an impossible question to answer, a difficult one yes
    the point of a quiz is you either know the answer or you don't and if you don't what harm ,no one knows everything, I took to popular franchises and asked how they were linked ,maybe providing a question for someone else to use elsewhere.

With that in mind my last question has been answered and I shall not ask another

I know it's a bit of a film buff question but Broccoli is as well known as a film maker as Coppola, Kubrick or Scott. He is to the spy film what Hitchcock is to the horror or Leone is to the (spaggetti) Western. He has a huge body of work behind him.
    Just sayin'.

I have to say I would consider Broccoli an obscure figure to all but film buffs.

Whale shark.

A pharmacist created a scale for measuring the pungency or heat of chillies and naturally called it after himself.
    The measurements on the scale are S....... Heat Units.

The newest hottest chilli in the world is now "Carolina Reaper" tipping the scale at over 1,500,000 SHUs.

• Advertisement

Whale shark?

That's the blighter!

I have to say I would consider Broccoli an obscure figure to all but film buffs.

I am sure I've seen the name Brocolli pop up on some TV comody series that I've watched, don't know the first name though. It's one that stuck in my mind. How could you forget anyone you've met by the name of Brocolli? :D

getting a bit stiff there m8, as a quizzer of over 35 years knowledge,useless, trivial or not accumulates, the answer ,far from impossible,it's been mentioned several time in extras on Bond dvd's, who is Cubby Brpccoli,? the Producer
    of the Bond movies... his family were credited with the development of the broccoli vegetable. I thought this thread was meant to be a bit of fun, I had no intention of setting an impossible question to answer, a difficult one yes
    the point of a quiz is you either know the answer or you don't and if you don't what harm ,no one knows everything, I took to popular franchises and asked how they were linked ,maybe providing a question for someone else to use elsewhere.

With that in mind my last question has been answered and I shall not ask another
    I hope this doesn't mean that you've taken umbrage at Looksee's comment and will not be taking any further part. That would be a pity as your contributions have been very good. I hope you will reconsider.

I am sure I've seen the name Broccoli pop up on some TV comedy series that I've watched, don't know the first name though. It's one that stuck in my mind. How could you forget anyone you've met by the name of Broccoli? :D
    I am sure I've seen the name Brocolli pop up on some TV comedy series that I've watched, don't know the first name though. It's one that stuck in my mind. How could you forget anyone you've met by the name of Brocolli? :D
    I am sure I've seen the name Brocolli pop up on some TV comody series that I've watched, don't know the first name though. It's one that stuck in my mind. How could you forget anyone you've met by the name of Brocolli? :D
    Good God, Jellybaby. Have duplicate posts become triplicate now? It's like the old civil service here nkw,

And recently I stated that I was deleting my double posts. How the heck did I post three times when I only posted once? I am in housekeeping mode so I will try to get rid of the spares. Gremlins still at work.

Edit: Ta-Daaa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Great white shark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Great white shark

Greg Norman is the world's largest fish???

Great white shark

Wrong.

It was already answered 6 posts back. Try to keep up. ;)

My question above is a little unclear so I'll rephrase.

What is the name of the scale for measuring the heat of chillies?

I hope this doesn't mean that you've taken umbrage at Looksee's comment and will not be taking any further part. That would be a pity as your contributions have been very good. I hope you will reconsider.

Sorry about that folks, doing a bit of grouch at the moment, will keep my head down for a bit. That was a personal comment not a mod comment btw. :o

abff wrote: »
    Greg Norman is the world's largest fish???
    No - only the world's wealthiest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

My question above is a little unclear so I'll rephrase.

What is the name of the scale for measuring the heat of chillies?

Would you be talking about the Scoville scale? The higher the number the more it smarts? :eek:

Sorry about that folks, doing a bit of grouch at the moment, will keep my head down for a bit. That was a personal comment not a mod comment btw. :o

I don't see anything to apologise for. As an active participant in the thread you are perfectly entitled to express your point of view. As a mod you exercise admirable restraint and when you need to make a mod-level point you flag it well as such.

Let's rattle on oldies. I enjoy this nonsense.

I don't see anything to apologise for. As an active participant in the thread you are perfectly entitled to express your point of view. As a mod you exercise admirable restraint and when you need to make a mod-level point you flag it well as such.

Let's rattle on oldies. I enjoy this nonsense.

What? A restrained Mod? Looksee have you gone soft? :eek:

Cry havoc and let slip the Mods of boards...... or words to that effect:D:D

Why not let slip a question Rube? [I think the Old Goat is hibernating (I don't blame him)]. You were right with the Scoville scale.

Here's a quickie in the meantime: What colour were the blue jumpers today?

The jumpers - the rugby watcher tells me the french were wearing browny-red. This could be anything from rust to red to maroon, but apparently they normally wear blue (I did ask the right question to get this answer!)

Right track. Wrong match. Try again.

Lord I have no idea! The rugby watcher has gone to bed!

Which blues?

Oh you wanted a question from me I think?

Music question then.......

Which band had a song called !In My Own Time formed in 1966 disbanded in 1973 and had Roger Chapman as a lead singer.

Which blues?

Which band had a song called !In My Own Time formed in 1966 disbanded in 1973 and had Roger Chapman as a lead singer.

Rubecula wrote: »
    Which blues?

Formed in '66? Long after my time then, although the song-title does strike a faint chord. I think it was a folk band rather than an electronic band.

I will let my question run (post 2145) until after the main event tomorrow. Spelling needs to be disregarded.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement