Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mr Selfridge (ITV/TV3)

• 02-01-2013 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,496 ✭✭✭✭

Created by multi-award winning writer Andrew Davies, Mr Selfridge tells the story of Mile a Minute Harry, a man with a mission to make shopping as thrilling as sex. Pioneering and reckless, with an almost manic energy, he created a theatre of retail where any topic or trend that was new, exciting, entertaining – or sometimes just eccentric – was showcased.
    Jeremy Piven takes on the role of Mr Selfridge, alongside an all-star cast including Katherine Kelly, Frances O'Connor, Gregory Fitoussi, Aisling Loftus and Zoe Tapper. Set in London in 1909, Harry Selfridge opened the doors of his lavish department store, on London's famous Oxford Street

Starts 6th of January

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Looking forward to this, had almost forgotten about it, saw an ad for it a while back. I like Jeremy Piven in Entourage, and I always thought Katherine Kelly was great in Coronation St, be good to see her in something different. The set and costumes look fab too, hope it's good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Havant seen this posted up here yet

New show on ITV with Jeremy Piven of Entourage Fame

Set in 1909 London about the founder of Selfridges Dept Store

Just wondering is anyone going to give it a go tonight and has there been any reviews for it out yet ?

Going to give this a watch myself as was a huge Jeremy Piven fan when he was in Entourage so hoping for good things from this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Great - so between this and Ripper Street, I'm back in my time machine tonight. No wonder Doctor Who doesn't like snowmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Anyone watching this? Good to look at but woefully slow moving as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭iceblue

i sort of liked it. i'm undecided about becky from corrie. i was also spending too much time trying to figure out who a few of the cast where and what id seen them in before. will have to look at credits next week to get names. the bloke with the red hair and beard -was in a lewis and midsomer. the actress, her name was something love, she had a mole/beauty spot on her upper lip, was she in a sherlock? she was in something i watched recently?...... and as for the woman who is the assessories boss? and the girl who was given the red gloves?...dont know what both these where in but they looked familar. didnt watch the programme some mentioned above, so dont know the main character. but it was ok. better than i had anticipated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭RichT

iceblue wrote: »
    i sort of liked it. i'm undecided about becky from corrie. i was also spending too much time trying to figure out who a few of the cast where and what id seen them in before. will have to look at credits next week to get names. the bloke with the red hair and beard -was in a lewis and midsomer. the actress, her name was something love, she had a mole/beauty spot on her upper lip, was she in a sherlock? she was in something i watched recently?...... and as for the woman who is the assessories boss? and the girl who was given the red gloves?...dont know what both these where in but they looked familar. didnt watch the programme some mentioned above, so dont know the main character. but it was ok. better than i had anticipated.

The IMDB will answer all those questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭smilerf

iceblue wrote: »
    Your one with the mole looks like your one out of the Borgias

just got a flash tonight, the one with the mole, lucy love or whatever, was in a miss marple. ! am a big murder mystery fan!lol didnt see the borgias. but thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

I wanted to like this, but couldnt get into it

Is it worth a rewatch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

youngblood wrote: »
    I wanted to like this, but couldnt get into it

Is it worth a rewatch?
    A rewatch? Nah i dont think so, but il def give it a chance.
    1st episode was just ok imo.
    Gotta love Jeremy Pivens acting tho.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Had heard it was terrible but just watched the first episode...I've continued with far worse tv! A lot of exposition but that shouldn't be a problem from now on. The ads are a killer though every 15 mins - at least I can record and skip through.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭littleteapot

I didn't hate it. I kinda drifted off a couple of times but that was because I watched it late at night when I was tired. It mostly held my attention though, so that makes it good in my book! It was better than deception anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭lisaj

Imelda Quirke!!!

I don't like yer one Ellen Love at all.

Not sure what to make of this .... Anyone watching?

I like it, but there's way too many ads. I was actually disappointed when it finished, I suppose that's the idea.

lisaj wrote: »
    I like it, but there's way too many ads. I was actually disappointed when it finished, I suppose that's the idea.

Sky + is the answer to that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Sky + is the answer to that!
    The American equivalent is after figuring out a way to stop you fast forwarding through the breaks on recorded programes.

So he fixed up Miss Love with their own little love pad

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

The American equivalent is after figuring out a way to stop you fast forwarding through the breaks on recorded programes.

Say it ain't so....?

This is not good news for Monday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

The ads are the best part. 'Tis drivel, to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

This one is a real disappointment. I still feel like I'm waiting for it to start and it's three weeks in. There are several potentially interesting background stories going on and yet they have neglected everything in favour of sillyness. I'm not sure if the man himself was a one dimensional cliche but this character isn't working at all. It doesn't help that the actor doesn't look the part either. Over all it's a big let down.

Ya i agree with above although Piven is a great actor.
    Ive given it 3weeks now and tbh its just boring me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,496 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ITV has renewed Mr Selfridge for a second season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭smilerf

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Shame on them it's utter pants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Don't think I could stand another season, not sure why I'm still watching this one
    He dies penniless anyways

i know we'll find out tomorrow, but did miss love die?...or was she saved in the nick of time?

And what happened after Harry took the car and crashed into a tree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Well I'm really enjoying it. A grand way to finish a weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Blasted through 5 episodes.

I like Jeremy Piven so that's the main reason I gave it a shot.
    He does a good job in this.

The show is very average, I see it's gotten a second season which is surprising.

Cast is pretty familiar, you'd recognize a lot of them from other shows.

Locations and sets look fantastic

6/10 I'd say so far.
    Worth a shot but it's nothing special

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

After six episodes this show is going nowhere

I'm not sure I'll finish out the season

A shame, they have Jeremy Piven, great locations & sets and the real life story was interesting.
    This script is very poor though.

I don't give a damn about any of the characters

5/10 tbh and I know I gave a higher score just a few days ago.
    But it's not improving at all

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I actually enjoy this show but I agree it's not exactly riveting, my attention does wander sometimes. The character of Ellen Love is an awful PITA. But it's not terrible IMO, it's a feast for the eyes with the pretty clothes and and of course Monsieur Leclair :D

Do you think it seems to have an "Edwardian celebrity" of the week theme? Like stunt casting of characters?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Jeremy Piven and Gregory Fitoussi in a London period drama... unusual to say the least.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Well the finale was a bit odd to have so many of the characters leaving for new shores. It'll be interesting to see where series two goes, if there is indeed a series two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

miamee wrote: »
    Well the finale was a bit odd to have so many of the characters leaving for new shores. It'll be interesting to see where series two goes, if there is indeed a series two.

Series 2 confirmed last month - 10 new episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

Any news when S2 is airing yet? Saw an advert on ITV saying "coming soon"...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,146 ✭✭✭✭beertons

It's back on next week.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Does anyone have a confirmed date for this returning? UTV/ITV website has nothing. I don't want to miss it but UTV on Skybox is not helpful.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭brian_t

Season 4 starts on UTV and UTV Ireland at 9:00pm on Friday 8th January

• Advertisement

Any idea when season 4 will come to Netflix?

Advertisement