Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE1 now - Monday 7.30 Scannal - Declan Flynn

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Incredibly sad story :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Shocking verdict

RIP Declan, a brother and the son.

Thank god we are in a different place, I think he would have got justice if it happened now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

The park bench in Fairview was full of tributes in the run up to the referendum. I visited the park for the first time in nearly 30 years after the yes vote. So sad. It could have been any of us in that era of the shadows. I was and am so full of admiration for those who marched to Fairview after the verdict. Declan died alone with his haters but he beat them in the end. He should never be forgotten. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭swine

Thanks for the heads-up. Was completely unaware of this story, and would not have caught it otherwise. I was born in '83 and it's an eye opener to see such an awful time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

amdublin wrote: »
    Thank god we are in a different place, I think he would have got justice if it happened now.

The problem is that it took this murder, and in particular the trial verdict, for people to take notice of the gay community. The institutionalized discrimination could no longer be ignored and things began to change slowly.

A month after the trial concluded the supreme court rejected an application to decriminalize homosexuality from David Norris effectively ending a 6 year legal battle.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

effectively ending a 6 year legal battle.

Domestically only - he did continue to Europe and win, remember.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

L1011 wrote: »
    Domestically only - he did continue to Europe and win, remember.

True, but a very poor reflection on Ireland that it took Europe to get us to put our house in order and even then it was five years after the ECHR verdict that the law was changed. Shameful.

Here is the episode for anyone interested

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10467612/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Thanks for posting the link.

May he RIP, such a sad story but look how far we've come.

• Advertisement
Advertisement