Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbors PAYG esb meter beeping....

Options
  • 29-07-2014 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭

So, I live at the end of a cul de sac.
    There are four front doors within 10feet of a neighbors ESB meter access door.
    In the access door is a pay as you meter which usually goes off every half hour for about a minute.

I guess when its not topped up it beeps.
    As far as I'm aware this is a deterrent for the user to not leave it empty, as the meter is usually fitted in the house for convenience.

In this case, it is the neighbors who have to hear it, all the time.

I rang up esb who said I'd have to talk to the neighbor. -The neighbor doesn't care, and is obviously happier not having to hear it.

So does anybody know who I'd contact to get the esb to fit it properly where its not being a nuisance?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

If you can get access to the meter, press 0 and the beeping will stop.

It's just to remind the user that the credit is low, maybe >€2 left.

If you can't get access to it then get your neighbour to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭patch

Thanks, I should point out that this has been going on for about a year at this stage...
    It's most of the time, not just occasionally. That's a handy tip to know about when it's doing my head in though!
    If you can get access to the meter, press 0 and the beeping will stop.

It's just to remind the user that the credit is low, maybe >€2 left.

If you can't get access to it then get your neighbour to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Contact your council environmental officer. The meter is causing noise pollution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Another question for you OP, are you sure it's the meter in the white box on the outside of the house that's beeping?

Any chance it could be a meter inside the house that's near the door so you can hear it?

The reason why I ask is that when the ESB install a meter they install 2, they replace the old black one that's in the whitebox next to the gas meter with one with a keypad on it.

It looks very similar to the one you keep inside the house but it is usually used for servicing and stuff, so the consumer doesn't actually need to interact with it.

ESB then install another meter inside the house, this is one you plug into your wall and you can use it to check how much you're using/spending etc.

Eg press 2 twice to see remaining credit, 5 twice to see total cash spent and so on.

From my experience only the meter inside the house beeps as that's the one that the consumer would be nearest to.

There is IOU emergency credit but obviously if this has been going on for so long then perhaps *politely* ask your neighbour to top it up more often as it's becoming a nuisance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭patch

Thanks guys, in this case the noisy box has been placed outside where it is a nuisance.
    I guess the environmental officer is my best bet.

Advertisement