Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nicolas Roche - 2014 season

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

I don't get the man v horse thing....I mean how long can they race ...??

and surely the horse needs a field while the cyclist needs a solid surface....If they ride a short course it will be over in no time ...unless its best of 5 or something ???

Anyway Nico very good domestique at Tour this year IMO

But he is still a good GC rider IMO but not at SKY .... He was co leader with Peraud and look where he got...he has been 5th & 6th in Vuelta ...He is not going to win the Tour (unless Braislford knows something !!!!) but he is a credible GC rider.... IF only top 4 rider in world ride GC then 18 teams would have no GT lead

If he could lead at Paris Nice, Switzerland, Vuelta, San Sebastian and 1/2 other stage races/day races that would be good but won't get that opportunity at SKY

As for stage hunting...he didn't do too bad for a man that was injured or working for someone else...Stage hunting isn't an exact science after all ...His teamdid very well and he contributed to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I saw a video of Thomas Voeckler race a horse before, it was over about 150 metres or so. Thomas used a path that ran alongside the horse racing course. Think they both got a rolling start, so to speak.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

No idea how fast horses go but on a flat stretch roche could hit 50km/h surely. Stretch the distance out and a horse would be beaten.

I'm actually going next week (with work) so it will be interesting to see

godtabh wrote: »
    No idea how fast horses go but on a flat stretch roche could hit 50km/h surely. Stretch the distance out and a horse would be beaten.

Oh good ...you can report back

I might send you a 'Oi No SKY' t-shirt for the occasion :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Oh no the Sky train is coming. Don't see the issue myself

The results are the main thing. I think his time at Saxo was a success. Who knows what the future would hold at Sky

The issue is that I associate SKY with BORING. Cycling by numbers, play it safe the whole time. Grind down the other teams, negative a4-style racing rather than exciting, breakaway victories.
    That's the issue.
    Was great to see Roche in a few breaks this TDF, can't see it happening in Sky, will be sitting in the bunch just ahead of the king of boring, whomever it happens to be on the day, most likely froome.
    Yawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

What I've read is that it's over 2 furlongs - 1/4 mile. Likewise in the dark as to what surface, rolling or standing start for one or both.

Over 180km, you'd expect Nico to win easily no matter the start as the horse would tire long before. But over 2 furlongs : Standing start , I'd say the horse. Rolling start, (how the hell do you do that?), probably Nico.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

MPFG wrote: »
    Oh good ...you can report back

I might send you a 'Oi No SKY' t-shirt for the occasion :D

As far as I know he has booked a room separate to every one so not sure if I'd even get a chance to meet him. I'll try

I'll PM my address for the t-shirt!

As far as I know he has booked a room separate to every one so not sure if I'd even get a chance to meet him. I'll try

I'll PM my address for the t-shirt!

I heard there is a Q&A after the race...so I am relying on you to have your plackward to the ready...you know

" Down with that kind of thing ...SKY I mean " :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Here's Voeckler racing the horse

http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/3093

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

kenmc wrote: »
    What I've read is that it's over 2 furlongs - 1/4 mile. Likewise in the dark as to what surface, rolling or standing start for one or both.

Over 180km, you'd expect Nico to win easily no matter the start as the horse would tire long before. But over 2 furlongs : Standing start , I'd say the horse. Rolling start, (how the hell do you do that?), probably Nico.

Just a very non scientific look at race results in Leopardstown results over last 2 months gives an average time of 26 secs for 2 furlongs in races over a mile.
    I presume Nico will be on the Ambulance Rd so opening the stalls as he moves past (like the hare on a greyhound track) would work.
    Can tell you (from schooling only) horses break at serious speed. Even the lowest rated horse who loves racing will be ready to fly once in the stalls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭changepartners

I dont think he was ever the undisputed leader at AG2R. Maybe he thought he was supposed to be.

The horse race seems alot of work for very little time ....but what do I know

The horse race seems alot of work for very little time ....but what do I know

its just a gimmick for the fundraising for his development team

its just a gimmick for the fundraising for his development team

Well you have a good time anyways

Well you ahve a good time anyways

Dont mind if I do

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Here's Voeckler racing the horse

http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/3093

That's a trotter and a sulky, harness racing is slower than normal racing so not comparable.

If it's 2 furlongs or shorter I'm gonna go for the horse. Longer Nico.
    Pics of the signed T-shirt should go up on this thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Oleg tweeted this yesterday:
    My dream is to 're-sign Rosche and Rogers but Murdoch has thicker wallet, especially after he lost bid for TimeWarner @ $80billions

(He spelt Roche wrong, not me!)

Oleg tweeted this yesterday:
    My dream is to 're-sign Rosche and Rogers but Murdoch has thicker wallet, especially after he lost bid for TimeWarner @ $80billions

(He spelt Roche wrong, not me!)

Oleg is taking the pi**...Brailsford has said on a cycling podcast episode that SKY are not going to pay big salaries

I am not sure what is happening with Rodgers but Roche I think is considering leaving because if he stays he rides for Contador & Majka in any of the 3 GTs and Kreuziger & Sagan in many other races and he cannot lead the Vuelta or San Sebastian,etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,174 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

According to the Irish Times:
    "He [Roche] also confirmed yesterday a deal has been signed for next season and an announcement will likely come soon. While he would not be drawn on the identity of his next team, he said that he believes the move would be a good one for his career."

We'll see how Nico gets on in the Tour of Britain, 'leading' the six-man Tinkoff team... Looks like we won't get a Tour Diary in the Independent this time, they are running Deignan's Vuelta Tour Diary instead.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

odyssey06 wrote: »
    According to the Irish Times:
    "He [Roche] also confirmed yesterday a deal has been signed for next season and an announcement will likely come soon. While he would not be drawn on the identity of his next team, he said that he believes the move would be a good one for his career."

We'll see how Nico gets on in the Tour of Britain, 'leading' the six-man Tinkoff team... Looks like we won't get a Tour Diary in the Independent this time, they are running Deignan's Vuelta Tour Diary instead.

Anymore on this lads ?
    It appears to have gone very quiet, perhaps an announcement after the Worlds next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,174 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

All quiet on the transfer front. Nico's Tour Diary is back in the Independent for the Worlds though...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Brailsford added: "Nicolas joins us from Tinkoff-Saxo and becomes the second Irish rider in Team Sky. He brings a wealth of experience, having ridden 13 Grand Tours in his career, and that will be invaluable to the team. Nicolas has the perfect character and temperament for us and we expect him to play a key role next season."

I wonder what that role will be? I can't see him as a Team Leader for a GT, especially with Konig joining Sky also

Read more at http://www.teamsky.com/article/0,27290,17546_9496220,00.html#bcKr3eiFVHJ6bTk0.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Surely it's simply got to be as a domestique and a very good one. That's what he seems to do best and he's got to be one of the best, which should mean he'll get well paid.

quozl wrote: »
    Surely it's simply got to be as a domestique and a very good one. That's what he seems to do best and he's got to be one of the best, which should mean he'll get well paid.

He came 5th in the Vuelta ....for me he is good enough to lead in that race
    He has obviously left TCS for a reason and that reason must be to lead in some races....

Maybe some people on here talk him up but there are enough to talk him down

He came 5th in the Vuelta ....for me he is good enough to lead in that race
    He has obviously left TCS for a reason and that reason must be to lead in some races....

Maybe some people on here talk him up but there are enough to talk him down

Hopefully he will be back to his France/Spain schedule. If Froome goes well in the Tour Roche way well be let have a go in spain.

One thing that might be interesting is if Skys Plan B doesnt work out they can change tactics with Roche ala the Tour this year for Saxo. Sky dont have a Plan B if their team leader doesnt go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭smurphy29

I can't see Roche going as a team leader for a grand tour. It's been shown that Top 5 is about the limit of his capabilities, and Sky will race only to win.

He will be a hugely valuable mountain domestique for them. It certainly looks like they're giving their mountain train an overhaul, as it is noticeably weaker this and last year than previously.

Think back to Wiggins TdeF and the team they had supporting him in the mountains was extraordinary: Rogers, an in-form Porte and Froome. Henao and Uran couldn't even get picked. No wonder they were so dominant.

Advertisement