Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A week in Morocco from Dec 28th/29th?

• 04-08-2013 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

The GF wants to go... We dont have huge resources. She wants someplace hot with things to do. Thats about the best i can think of at that time of year within the distance.
    No direct flights from Ireland
    Is it going to be possible at all?
    Thank you!
    J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Dr Nic wrote: »
    The GF wants to go... We dont have huge resources. She wants someplace hot with things to do. Thats about the best i can think of at that time of year within the distance.
    No direct flights from Ireland
    Is it going to be possible at all?
    Thank you!
    J

Aer Lingus operate a weekly flight to Agadir. Sunway also sell package holidays using the Aer Lingus flight.

If you want good weather then the likes of Tenerife, Lanzarote will be more less the same as Morocco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It's a horrible place to visit. Every second person is tying to scam you and every other second person is begging and telling you sad stories about why they need your money and won't leave you alone. As soon as you give change to anyone you have hordes of beggars following you. They have also no standards at all when it comes to hygiene and preparing food.

Maybe try the Canaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Personally having been to Morroco I would not go again. I just found it was hassle anytime you went out. It just wasn't for me. The Canaries would be easy to arrange that time of year - not too sure about the price though as a weeks stay would mean that you would be there for New Year. I have been in the Costa Del Sol at that time of year and the weather was very pleasant, in the high teens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Dr Nic wrote: »
    She wants someplace hot with things to do.

Check the avg temperatures at that time of year - not sure where in Morocco you'd intend visiting, but many areas will likely be some way short of 20° at that time of year. Perhaps further South to the Gambia or the Red Sea resorts would suit, as both destinations will deliver heat and many hours of sunshine. Possibly have to route through the UK though.

As suggested above, the Canaries may be a decent compromise - affordable, accessible but pleasant & mild as opposed to hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Thanks for the tips.
    The aerlingus return flight only works from January but I've cobbled flights together for 300.

We/I want to surf for half the hols and she wants to sightsee.

Weve been to almost all the Canaries before. Very nice but quiet with little enough to see. Were not drinkers.

We can hopefully do both in Morocco.
    3 days in Marrakesh then rent a car and surf 3 days with surf bebere in tazaghout.
    Xmas and new years is mad busy over there is that right??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i was in tangier around christmas time a few years back and it was kind of surreal, we had just come from spain across on the ferry where it was obviously christmas season everywhere you went and nothing of the sort in morocco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i was in tangier around christmas time a few years back and it was kind of surreal, we had just come from spain across on the ferry where it was obviously christmas season everywhere you went and nothing of the sort in morocco

Thats to be expected considering its a Muslim country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

A lot of negative comments about Morocco. Before going, we had absorbed the negative experiences of others, but we ourselves experienced none of it. Just lots of friendly people.

We went nearly the same time as you (for a cheap honeymoon). To save money, we flew into Málaga, which we know well enough to spend a night, and then took the bus to Tarifa where we spent New Year's eve, which was a wonderful place to do it. So quiet and laid back until 11pm when the whole town square turns into a really lovely street party.

Back to practicalities, at that time of year, the cheapest thing to do might be to fly to Málaga. If you get in early, you could be in Tarifa within four hours, where you might like to spend a night before taking the ferry to Tangier.

Simply walk out of Málaga airport and take the underground to the main train station (10 minutes); the bus station is beside the train station. Book a ticket to Tarifa, which goes via Marbella and Algeciras. Do it by day because the trip is quite scenic.

Tarifa town is a 5 minute walk from the small Tarifa bus stop; it's small, quaint with a nice beach and good places to eat.

Right beside the town is the ferry port, a catamaran service. Be sure to get a ferry timetable the day you arrive in Tarifa, there are two companies meaning ferries usually go by the hour.

On the Tangier side, it can be a bit of a culture shock. Be streetsmart; you'll find that it's actually absolutely fine. You can either stay one night in Tangier or get a taxi straight to the bus station (a little out of town) to go on elsewhere. In fact, memory serves that there are two bus stations, the main one (a real experience), and a 'posh' one (less of an experience).

Tangier is interesting, but I feel it's best to move on somewhere else.

Our route was Tangier (1 night), bus to Chefchaouen (3 nights), Fez (3 nights), then back to Tarifa in one day from Fez, then on to Málaga for one more night.

The Rif mountains are quite nice, and Chefchaouen is a very nice place to spend a few days. At that time of year, the Atlas mountains that far north may not be so easily accessible. Still, Morocco is a big country and if you've the time and the inclination, you could just do a couple of long bus trips south.

Of course, the alternative is to spend more and fly somewhere like Agadir, but we weren't into that and just wanted to travel independently, and we're not beach people (which also explains not visiting Essouira).

Going back to the 'hassle' issue people always seem to mention, perhaps it was the time of year (much fewer tourists), or the signals we sent out, that we were clearly a couple, but we got ZERO hassle. Quite the opposite - we really found everyone really friendly and happy to chat just to chat, it's what they do. I think what many Europeans interpret as hassle is actually hospitality and is part of their own culture, which they're proud of. That's not to say that petty theft and wolf-whistling doesn't happen.

It's a great time of year to visit Morocco because the weather is perfect. In Fez, it's warm enough, and in the Rif mountains, it's beautifully cool and crisp.

Anyway, that's our four cents.

And finally: this is where we stayed in Fez. Amazing location, rooms, service, breakfast, and value. Incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

^^ Brilliant post :). Morroco is a fantastic country! If you go with the idea of having an experience rather than just a holiday, it ticks all the boxes.

As for bad hygene, I never saw it! People were very careful with food (and personel hygene) even out in the desert.

Advertisement