Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gran Canaria - Help

Options
  • 11-04-2013 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi everyone, myself and Boyfriend are planning a trip to Gran Canaria this summer, the dates we were thinking of is 18th -23rd July. The two places we would prefer to stay is puerto rico or las palmas. Could somebody please help me, i am no good with this at all.

1.How do i find the cheapest package, that is not a kip.
    2. Where is the best place to start looking? am i better to book as a package holiday?
    3.How much should we be looking at spending??

Thank you so much in advance. Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Puerto Rico and Las Palmas are completely different places.

PR is a resort, complete with nice beach, cheesy disco bars etc etc.

Las Palmas is the capitol of the island and more of a large town/small city. Personally I really like LP, it has a nice feel to it and is definitely less touristy.

If it's a package beach holiday type experience you want, then PR is the way to go. It's less crowded than Playa del Ingles. If you want it the beach but a little more peaceful, try Mogan, another few km along the coast. It's gorgeous, but very little cheap accommodation there.

In terms of packages, for a 5 or 6 day trip, you'd be hard pressed to find one. In any event, I'd recommed booking it all independently and save yourself a few euro.

Flights: take a look at skyscanner.net and simply enter your departure point, destination and dates and it will throw you out some options, possibly including some of the holiday charter airlines.

Accommodation: I personally prefer to use booking.com, but others will also recommend trivago, hotels.com or expedia (who will also book flights). The beauty of booking.com is the vast majority of hotels/apartments etc will just secure the booking on the card but not take payment until you check in and even allow free cancellations up to 24 hours prior to arrival.

As it's peak season you'll be doing very well to pay less than €350 a head for flights. I'd wager you'll probably top €400.

In terms of accommodation, again it all depends on tastes and booking.com will have something for every budget and it's really easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭daisydood

Thanks for all your help. Skyscanner gave me a return flight price if 205 not inc baggage so an extra 70 return each for baggage, so 275 altogether and i wasnt sure if that was good value or not but from reading your post it seems it is.
    Ideally what we would like is a relaxing holiday, with a beach close by. We may go out once or twice but that is not our priority! Based on that would u advise Lp or Pr. Thanks very much for replying!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kazoo2001

daisydood wrote: »
    Hi everyone, myself and Boyfriend are planning a trip to Gran Canaria this summer, the dates we were thinking of is 18th -23rd July. The two places we would prefer to stay is puerto rico or las palmas. Could somebody please help me, i am no good with this at all.

1.How do i find the cheapest package, that is not a kip.
    2. Where is the best place to start looking? am i better to book as a package holiday?
    3.How much should we be looking at spending??

Thank you so much in advance. Any help would be appreciated!

I always use hotels combined site it searches all accommodation sites including booking.com for cheapest rate on your dates I've also been really lucky with Venere.com
    Trip advisor is great for distinguishing between great accommodation and kips sign up for newsletters when I was going to gran canaria last year I booked a fab apartment for just €89 each (2people) through a 24 hour sale with a ridiculous discount on accommodation! Think it was through booking.com
    Happy holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

kazoo2001 wrote: »
    I always use hotels combined site it searches all accommodation sites including booking.com for cheapest rate on your dates I've also been really lucky with Venere.com
    Trip advisor is great for distinguishing between great accommodation and kips sign up for newsletters when I was going to gran canaria last year I booked a fab apartment for just €89 each (2people) through a 24 hour sale with a ridiculous discount on accommodation! Think it was through booking.com
    Happy holidays!
    Yeah, booking.com often have flash deals and they're superb value.

If you're looking for a relaxing holiday, I'd opt for Mogan, just past Puerto Rico. That way you have it really quiet during the day with a lovely beach and a marina on your doorstep. Then if you do want to go nuts for a night, a 10 minute taxi drive has you in Puerto Rico.

Check out Hotel Puerto de Mogan. Currently you can get a half board room for your trip for €525. This is a fantastic hotel. On the quayside at the marina with steps from the pool area onto the beach, pretty good food too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Apart from the resorts, much of GC is very nice.
    Cant imagine anyone apart from a dedicated petrol head enjoying driving, so maybe look into the ( very good ) bus system ( http://www.globalsu.net/ ) as a way to get around.
    Las Palmas has a good bit to see.
    The centre of the island is a beautiful contrast to the coast & if you are into hill walking then there is lots there for you.
    If you get 'island fever' then dont forget the ferries to fuerteventura & tenerife.
    ( If you use the public library system then why not see what guide books / maps they have available ? )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 antomarren

Hi, Does anyone know if it is possible to rent quad bikes in playa del ingles and how much would it cost for the day? heading out there next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

iv stayed in the punta del rey in puerto rico a number of times and im very happy to stay there again this year. iv also stayed in other places in puerto rico but the punta del rey seems to top them all, i managed to get the email address for the reception desk last year as i wanted to book my own holiday this year i.e flights, accommodation and shuttle bus to and from the airport. pepe is the man to deal with when booking. flights were the most expensive thing, €718 return for the both of us but we choose aer lingus over ryanair just because ryan air are c*nts. shuttle bus is about €40 to and from the hotel and a stay in the punta for the 17 days is €33 per day in august and €29 per day in september. total for accomadation came to €476 so the total for the 2 of us for 17 days worked out as €1234, about €600 each.
    it worked out about €200 cheaper than last year and were getting an extra few days

so flying with aer lingus return, for 17 days im happy enough. if anyone wants the email address for the hotel pm me and ill get back to ye

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭daisydood

Thanks guys. Sorry for late reply. We're going on 27th august hot return flights for 145 each. Staying in ac Mariott which is working out at 360 for room and that includes shuttle to and from airport so holiday for 320. Can't go wrong with that!

Advertisement