Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visa Help

Options
  • 27-02-2013 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

I plan to go to America during the summer for 2-3 months to work. However, I have recently graduated from university after studying for 3 years. This apparently means I'm ineligible for the J1 visa which I had hoped to get (several of my friends are getting a J1 due to still being in college).

Could anyone help me in regards to what type of visa would suit me and the estimated cost of such a visa.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

There isn't really a work visa that sits you. You can use the visa waiver to visit, but cannot work on that. Work visas cost the employer several thousand dollars so they are unlikely to want to get one for you for only a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

If you graduated within the last year and have the required college degree you might be eligible for a 1 year J1.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

lil_lisa wrote: »
    If you graduated within the last year and have the required college degree you might be eligible for a 1 year J1.
    Thats my understanding of it too. At least I hope it is. I'm due to graduate this summer so am keeping that in mind depending on how things go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

What do I need to do to go on a holiday to USA ?
    It's been 10 years since I've been and someone says now I need to apply online for a visa for 15$ ?
    Isn't there a waiver system for Irish nationals ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

the_monkey wrote: »
    What do I need to do to go on a holiday to USA ?
    It's been 10 years since I've been and someone says now I need to apply online for a visa for 15$ ?
    Isn't there a waiver system for Irish nationals ?
    Thanks

For a holiday (up to 90 days), you need ESTA approval to enter under the visa waiver scheme.

Get your credit card and passport and go here, it costs $14. Valid for two years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

duffer243 wrote: »
    Hi,

I plan to go to America during the summer for 2-3 months to work. However, I have recently graduated from university after studying for 3 years. This apparently means I'm ineligible for the J1 visa which I had hoped to get (several of my friends are getting a J1 due to still being in college).

Could anyone help me in regards to what type of visa would suit me and the estimated cost of such a visa.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey,

Headed on a J1 myself, but im not in my final year, however, i have a friend who graduated last year, who is applying for a J1 with USIT, as he can prove he has a job to come back to.

Check there website out HERE

OR have you considered a 1 year, work VISA for the US (For recent grads)
    That sounds like it would be more what you are looking for.

Check that out HERE

Hope that helps :)

-Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 29 damnlol

Hey guys, so I read through this whole thread and have a similar type of problem, yet very different..
    So it's my final year, finishing college in a month. But I got a summer job in LA coaching football through coast to coast agency. it runs from june-august, but I rang up USIT today and they said that the J1 is valid until september, so i can stay over longer.. happy days. But I'm also a footballer and got in contact with LA Galaxy and have trials organised for myself. What do I do then about my visa? Can I re-apply for a visa in the Irish embassy there? Or what if I decide I want to go to Canada? Any way I can just re-apply for a visa while in america or what?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

damnlol wrote: »
    Hey guys, so I read through this whole thread and have a similar type of problem, yet very different..
    So it's my final year, finishing college in a month. But I got a summer job in LA coaching football through coast to coast agency. it runs from june-august, but I rang up USIT today and they said that the J1 is valid until september, so i can stay over longer.. happy days. But I'm also a footballer and got in contact with LA Galaxy and have trials organised for myself. What do I do then about my visa? Can I re-apply for a visa in the Irish embassy there? Or what if I decide I want to go to Canada? Any way I can just re-apply for a visa while in america or what?

Cheers

You are fine to stay on through as long as your J1 is valid......as far as your trials go, there's nothing stopping you from taking part in a trial (you don't get paid, and it does not constitute an offer of employment)...ie, it is no different than doing an interview as far as USCIS are concerned....should the trial go well, it would be up to LA Galaxy to apply for a longer term work visa for you to stay. Considering they have plenty of non-US nationals playing, I'm sure they have an in-house legal dept for dealing with visas. This works to your advantage, as they will be familiar with the process. They may be able to apply for Adjustment of Status, allowing you to stay in the US during the process, but there's every chance that you would have to return to Ireland until the visa is approved.

As for Canada, I won't advise you as I have no knowledge of their immigration/visa procedures.

Advertisement