Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about replacing Dell PSU, please help!

Options
  • 12-09-2012 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi everyone -
    I own a Dell XPS 420 desktop tower. Recently, the fan in the PSU started making a lot of noise (it's intermittent; if it starts from cold it always happens; two restarts and it stops).

I read that it's probably dust in the casing, and after consulting with an IT repair shop, they recommended that I get the whole tower cleaned out (which cost 100 euros), but the problem remains.

So I presume I need to get a replacement PSU, and I'm finding it very difficult to get any consensus opinions on what to get. I've been told that I need to get a Dell-approved one specifically for the XPS, but that can't be right, can it??

This PSU database website gives the following details for a PSU on an XPS 420:
    http://www.power-on.com/ea460u.html
    (except mine is a 425W, here is a photo of the specs sticker on it)

The one I was going to buy to replace it is this:
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/power_supplies/20088025/corsair_builder_cx430_v2_430_watt/details.aspx

All the dimensions etc look the same, so I presume that it's standard. I know that there's a protocol in swapping them, I'll get someone more knowledgeable to do it, but are they swappable? Is it a problem that there is a slight difference in the wattage etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Shaun
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

€100 to blow out a case! Holy ****!!!

Looks like you can fit standard ones in.
    http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/xps/f/3681/p/19358754/19797776.aspx

I suggest getting a good one like the XFX 550W:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/XFX-P1-550S-XXB9-PRO550W-Edition-Supply/dp/B004RJ8EKI/

Select amazon as your seller on the right hand side for free delivery. It should last you a while and you could carry it into another build.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

What's inside the pc? cpu/graphics card etc

• Registered Users Posts: 39 shaunoc1

That's great, thanks for the answer.

This is probably a very basic question, but there's no problem in moving up in the wattage, is there? (even if it's 5w or 50)?

Yeah, 100 euros to get the innards of the tower cleaned. It was initially 80, and at the time they had told me that the problem with the fan was almost certainly a dust issue (which I had also read in various forums) and then that I needed to get the rest of it done thoroughly, just to be sure. It seems expensive, but I need the problem sorted, I say ok.

Then I got a phonecall off them saying that they had had to remove the motherboard and clean it separately, another 20 euros. Also, they only told me when I went back that they can't actually open the PSU to check the fan properly because it retains a dangerous electrical charge. So all they did was blow it out with compressed air, which I'm fairly sure I could have done myself.

I get the PC home, start it up, fan as bad as ever. I ring them up, they say, ok, that didn't work, you'll need a new PSU from Dell, which will cost you 130 euros...

shaunoc1 wrote: »
    That's great, thanks for the answer.

This is probably a very basic question, but there's no problem in moving up in the wattage, is there? (even if it's 5w or 50)?

Yeah, 100 euros to get the innards of the tower cleaned. It was initially 80, and at the time they had told me that the problem with the fan was almost certainly a dust issue (which I had also read in various forums) and then that I needed to get the rest of it done thoroughly, just to be sure. It seems expensive, but I need the problem sorted, I say ok.

Then I got a phonecall off them saying that they had had to remove the motherboard and clean it separately, another 20 euros. Also, they only told me when I went back that they can't actually open the PSU to check the fan properly because it retains a dangerous electrical charge. So all they did was blow it out with compressed air, which I'm fairly sure I could have done myself.

I get the PC home, start it up, fan as bad as ever. I ring them up, they say, ok, that didn't work, you'll need a new PSU from Dell, which will cost you 130 euros...

What a scam... all you'd have needed to clean the dust out was a can of compressed air for 5 euro (like you already mentioned) You'd think being an IT repair shop they'd know how to open a PSU without killing themselves.

From DxDiag:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)

Using Vista 32bit

6 gigs RAM (although DxDiag is saying Memory: 3070MB RAM, System Properties says 6. Want to put in 8 if possible)

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

• Advertisement

From DxDiag:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)

Using Vista 32bit

6 gigs RAM (although DxDiag is saying Memory: 3070MB RAM, System Properties says 6. Want to put in 8 if possible)

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

You cant use more than 4gb ram on a 32bit operating system. Anymore is a waste so no need to upgrade to 8.

Did you get a refund from the IT shop? They didn't clean the psu properly so they didn't do what they said they would.

They also said they added a thermal compound to the CPU to prevent overheating, etc etc. Which to be honest, would have been fine if the actual fan problem had been solved. But it wasn't, and it seems like they just did a whole load of other stuff to add to the cost, without being able to address the actual problem (opening up the PSU and fixing the fan). And worse, they didn't tell me til afterwards that they were unable to address the problem.

Ah, I didn't know that about 32-bit systems...
    If four is the maximum and I have 6 installed, why would it be showing up as 3070MB RAM in DxDiag? Also, the lad in the shop recommended upgrading to 8 gigs aswell. Though to be fair, maybe there's no way of him knowing it was a 32-bit system without switching it on and checking it via Windows.

Edit: Didn't go back to the shop yet, wanted to double-check that cleaning the tower properly isn't such an expensive operation first (I'd never had it done before). So it's not a rule that you can't open up a PSU and check it? The guy said that there was a chance it was a bearing out of place on the fan or something, but that he couldn't check it anyways because of the retained charge, all he could do was blow it out with compressed air.

Thanks for all the help / advice, by the way.

Press the windows key and pause/break at the same time.. how much ram does it report there?

It says 6.00 GB

• Advertisement

Does it say anything beside it in brackets? I'm using windows 7 though and it says 8.00GB (7.89 GB useable) I guess vista doesn't.

If your on 32bit os then your definitely limited to 4. It allocates some of the ram to other things though which might be why the dxdiag reports 3gb. I remember when I had xp 32 bit and 4gb it used to say 3.2gb or something.

Vista will tell you how much you have even if you can't use it. They patched it in to stop the phone calls about RAM missing!

No, it doesn't say anything after that, but I guess that's explained by Monotype's answer... Ok, I'll get the new PSU, see if I can get any cash back from the repair crowd, and forget about upgrading the RAM any further.

Thanks again for all the help, it's much appreciated.

The XFX psu's are prone to fan ticking if you google it (I know because I have one, its not bad at all and mightn't happen to one you get but I'd hate to go from one fan problem to another :D)

It's less of a tick than a *very* loud whining noise, you can even hear it over headphones. The fan itself is still going, there's air coming from the vent, but it sounds like there's something loose in it. Strangely though, if the computer is warmed up and you restart it, it doesn't occur at all, fan runs as smooth as ever. So at the moment, I'm doing at least two restarts before I use the PC for any extended period.

Well the only other PSUs around that mark would be OCZ's. They're solid enough but people say the fans are kind of loud.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-OCZ-ZT550W-UK-Series-550W-modular/dp/B0068OCX8O/

A system like that should have low load, so the noise shouldn't be much of an issue.

Unfortunately, you'll nearly always end up with some slight fan issues with many PSUs unless you're investing in very high end ones. :(
    It's less of a tick than a *very* loud whining noise, you can even hear it over headphones. The fan itself is still going, there's air coming from the vent, but it sounds like there's something loose in it. Strangely though, if the computer is warmed up and you restart it, it doesn't occur at all, fan runs as smooth as ever. So at the moment, I'm doing at least two restarts before I use the PC for any extended period.

It could be an electrical whining noise? You get it from old PSUs. Not really anything you can do about it.

Yeah I was going to say the ocz zt 550, should do the trick. It's a small bit cheaper on dabs as well

http://www.dabs.ie/products/ocz-technology-550w-zt-series-fully-modular-power-supply-7TLZ.html?src=3

Argh... just saw your comment about the loud fan.

What about the trusty corsair cx500 ? :D

http://www.dabs.ie/products/corsair-500-watt-cx500-v2-builder-series-80-plus-power-supply-7K9H.html?src=3

It's not cheaper when you get free delivery from amazon!

I'd say the ZT would be fine. You'd be at low load and you get a modular PSU for fairly cheap. Maybe the XFX ticking doesn't come into play except on high loads either. I have one in a box for a spare there but I haven't tested it much but it sounded silent when it was going.

Ah you're right. I thought dabs did free delivery on everything. What about this?

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/power_supplies/80005361/cooler_master_gx_lite_500w/details.aspx

They do when you spend ~€100.
    It's some price like €80*1.23 for VAT. Their delivery charges page is nearly always inaccurate too, so don't consult that!

• Advertisement

Just comparing the Corsair specs with the standard specs from a listing here, which shows a standard replacement XPS 420 PSU.

Apparently I need five 4-pin peripheral connectors, and the Corsair ones only have four. The OCZ one looks like it has six though, would that be the one to go for? Is it a reliable brand?

Do you use all 5 of the 4 pin connectors ? I don't use any in my pc.

Sorry, my bad, I just opened it up and there's at least one of the 4-pins hanging loose (are those 'peripheral power connectors'?) and few of the SATA ones and a floppy drive connector too.

On that site where it lists the PSU Specs for the XPS420, it says:
    (1) 20+4 ATX connector, (1) CPU power connector, (1) ATX12V connector, (1) PCIe 6-pin connector, (2) Serial ATA connector, (5) peripheral power connectors, (1) floppy drive connector.

peripheral power connectors are molex connectors

250px-Molex_female_connector.jpg

Ok, I can only see one coming out of my own PSU, are there others connected elsewhere that I can't see? (please bear in mind that I'm not used to poking around inside the computer...)

Or am I picking this up wrong completely, because I'm looking at the diagram and details here:
    http://www.power-on.com/ea460u.html

which are saying that a standard replacement PSU for the XPS 420 has 5 peripheral power connectors.... Is that just overkill for that model of PSU?

They could be connected elsewhere... or unconnected. If you can't see how many you need then probably best to get a psu with a couple more. The only thing I can think of needing them is fans... I don't use any of those 4 pin connectors in my pc as all my fans are connected to motherboard. The amount of them isn't really relevant to the power supply's power. If you can see one unconnected though.. you should be okay with a psu which has only 4.

Incidentally, the power rating on a PSU like "550W" means that it's capable of up to 550W. It doesn't consume more power.

Ah, hang on a minute:
    I just found this posting on Ebay:

... which is the exact model of PSU that's in the computer, and it says:

1 x 24-pin ATX Connector
    1 x 4-pin P4 Connector
    1 x Molex IDE Connector
    1 x Floppy Connector
    6 x SATA Connector
    2 x 6-pin PCI Express Connector

... Would I be right in saying that the previous Corsair / OCZ suggestions cover those requirements?

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/power_supplies/80005361/cooler_master_gx_lite_500w/details.aspx
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/ocz-technology-550w-zt-series-fully-modular-power-supply-7TLZ.html?src=3
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/corsair-500-watt-cx500-v2-builder-series-80-plus-power-supply-7K9H.html?src=3

Also, would I be better off buying that one from Ebay or just getting a new one??

Apart from the floppy drive connector the ocz/corsair psu's have everything you need and are much better quality than that dell one. Do you use the floppy drive connector?

• Advertisement

Just been checking some pictures of the dell xps 420 and I'm not 100 percent sure if you will be able to put one of the other psu's in there. The hole mounting on the back of the case to screw in the power supply looks like it might be different spacing than typical.

Advertisement