Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books/films about cycling

Options
  • 01-08-2014 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭

Someone posted a clip from "american flyers" into a thread about dogs yesterday. It prompted me to watch it last night, had never heard of it before. Not the worlds best film tbh but still watchable.

So can anyone suggest any other "cycling" films or novels?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

A Sunday in Hell its a good watch about the Paris Roubaix in 1976

Also a book I am reading a the moment is Bradley Wiggins My Time
    Its a good read so far

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Breaking Away is a super film, celebrated it's 35th year since release recently.

The Sean Kelly Story (2003)
    The Flying Scotsman (2006)
    Chasing Legends (2009)
    Overcoming

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Good one on Marco Pantani. Pantani the accidental death of a cyclist. I got one on Itunes last year to watch on a flight a documentary about the Schleks in the 2010 or 11 tour de france. Not the greatest but killed time. Also youtube has good stuff on cycling not necessarily films but documentaries aswell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLCZgcpMLkE

http://pantanifilm.com/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Personally my favourite cycling book of all time is "A dog in a hat" by Joe Parkin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

As it was on TV this week, ESPNs "Slaying the Badger" based on the outstanding book of the same name by Richard Moore.

As it was on TV this week, ESPNs "Slaying the Badger" based on the outstanding book of the same name by Richard Moore.

****e missed that what channel was it on?Do you know if there is a repeat

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'it's not about the bike' by lance armstrong. not sure what section you'd find it in, in the bookshop, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭highbury1913

Seen Slaying the Badger and it's an excellent account of the rivalry.

The book is also a very good read and Richard Moore's other book Etape is likewise.

Moore is an excellent long form writer.

Froome's background story in The Climb was very interesting but after that it became a bit bland and your typical autobiography from a sports person who's in the middle of his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

barry75 wrote: »

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/07/slaying-the-badger/

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Gavb

It's All About the Bike: The Pursuit of Happiness on Two Wheels by Robert Penn is a great read.

Also the BBC documentary "Ride of My Life: The Story of the Bicycle" based on the book (or vice versa!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Chasing Legends and Road to Roubaix are worth a watch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Funniest bike book I've ever read (tho also lots of good history of the Tour) is French Revolutions by Tim Moore. Recommended. His more recent Gironimo, about the 2014 Giro (400+km stages, anyone?) is also ok, but not as good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

For something a bit different, one of my favourites is The triplets of Belleville. Surreal animating cycling comedy.

TripletsBelleville_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

barry75 wrote: »
    It was on ESPN I think, with repeats over the next couple of weeks. It's part of the 30 for 30 series. Or watch it on dragratchets link

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭duffer247

Land of Second Chances by Tim Lewis is one of my favourite reads and I think was made into a film. Its about setting up the Rwandan cycling team, the history of the conflict and the personalities involved.

Half man half bike, the story of Eddy Merxx
    Rough Ride is still a good read, and I think Racing through the Dark (David Millar) and Domestique (Charlie Wegelius) owe a lot to it as they are in a similar format.

Line of Sight documentary about the fixed gear races in NY is a good watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

'it's not about the bike' by lance armstrong. not sure what section you'd find it in, in the bookshop, though.
    American fiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

brownian wrote: »
    Funniest bike book I've ever read (tho also lots of good history of the Tour) is French Revolutions by Tim Moore. Recommended. His more recent Gironimo, about the 2014 Giro (400+km stages, anyone?) is also ok, but not as good.

Just finished Gironimo (v good) and Revolutions is sitting in my reading list...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭furiousox

Very busy and popular cycling books thread here....:pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057189863

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Just finished Gironimo (v good) and Revolutions is sitting in my reading list...

You'll like it, so. Rev's is much funnier. Read in private, or be stared at. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

brownian wrote: »
    You'll like it, so. Rev's is much funnier. Read in private, or be stared at. :D
    Sh1t man. I wear lycra on the bike. I'm used to being stared at...

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

smacl wrote: »
    For something a bit different, one of my favourites is The triplets of Belleville. Surreal animating cycling comedy.

C’est d'la balle. :)

slaying the badgers on youtube ( i assume its the one mentioned previously)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elo5_iNEjRo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

"Hunger" by Seán Kelly is a good read as is "The Agony and the Ecstasy" by Stephen Roche.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

the new pantani one is up on youtube at the minute. search - PANTANI : The Accidental Death Of a Cyclist [2014] Full
    It won't let me put the link up

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    the new pantani one is up on youtube at the minute. search - PANTANI : The Accidental Death Of a Cyclist [2014] Full
    It won't let me put the link up

here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

Thanks so much for the recommendations. I just watched "slaying the badger" and I have "a sunday in hell" and "breaking away" lined up, will get to the books after.

anyway thanks to all for the recommendations.

Never really had much interest in cycling until I started getting on my bike again after 20 years about 12 months ago so had never heard of any of these.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭highbury1913

Have just started Basson's "Clean Break" and ordered Phil Gaimon's new book which has got great reviews. He wrote that himself so looking forward to reading that after finishing Bassons.

Advertisement