Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pure Mule

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I watched the first episode last week, just to get some value from my TV licence fee anyway. Anyway, there was nothing in it that would make me watch another episode. It wasn't Pure Sh1te, but it was pretty bad.

Why can't RTE make a show like Spooks or Silent witness? Even Ultimate Force had it's moments. But the constant stream of crap like The Big Bow Wow, Love is the drug and now this :rolleyes: Something that doesn't involve a bunch of shams would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

jor el wrote:
    ...But the constant stream of crap like The Big Bow Wow, Love is the drug and now this :rolleyes: Something that doesn't involve a bunch of shams would be nice.

I am a cynic when it comes to most of RTE's output, and the independent productions they commission but in fairness I really do think that this is a very good show.
    The characters are believable.
    The situations are believable.
    The script is excellent.
    The acting is very good (as in nobody really looks like they are acting - think of Leo in Fair City)
    The production is very good.

I read reviews in the Irish Times, Sunday Times, Sunday Tribune and watched The View reviewing it on Monday (i think) and they all gave it the thumbs up. I expected one of them to slate it - but they all loved it.

I don't know if this is a country v Dublin thing - I for one am glad there is a drama depicting life outside of the capital.

(p.s. Bachelors Walk was equally as good as Pure Mule)

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

alleepally wrote:
    You already said this about the 1st ep, so why are you bothering to watch it at all then? MOVE ON, find something else on a Tuesday evening to watch instead.

Wow, are you one of the producers - I would not knock a new programme based on 1st ep, so I watch the second - and I will probably watch the third...and make comments on all -

Read the logo " now ye're talkin'" not "stop givin' out"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I read reviews in the Irish Times, Sunday Times, Sunday Tribune and watched The View reviewing it on Monday (i think) and they all gave it the thumbs up. I expected one of them to slate it - but they all loved it.

I felt the View was a little over the top on its appraisal of the show. Not that the view is bias (not sarcastic) but all of the panel LOVED the show. Unlike the sunday papers review who all had their own little problems.

Personnelly I perfered Love Is the Drug and would have like to have seen a new series. I think Love is the Drug is way underrated as it followed the Big Bow Wow (and Choosen, you don't want to know) thus it didn't get another series like Batchelors Walk.

I like the premis of this show. The clip of the 4th episode that was shown on the panel looks good.

I also think that they start off with their weekest episodes. Not that I have seen the rest.

Also prehaps I am comparing this show too much to Love Is the Drug which after all was a Comedy/Drama and not a Drama. They are too total different kind of shows.

Indeed at least you gave it a chance. Try out the next episode. Ah sure watch the rest of the series. Is their anything else on on a Tuesday night?

But your critism comes down to Pure Tripe, your not real talking that much. Why didn't you like it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Velcrow wrote:
    Wow, are you one of the producers - I would not knock a new programme based on 1st ep, so I watch the second - and I will probably watch the third...and make comments on all -

eh, well you did knock it on the first episode. And to answer your question, no I'm not a producer.

Fine, go ahead and make comments, but we've got your opinion now so you've done "yer talkin' " on this subject. Bye bye!

• Advertisement

i had to laugh at the part with the 3 men gossiping outside the church and the ould fella said about the young lad who ditched his bride at the altar,
    "often had dealings with his father! the young lad must be another bo**ix!!"

i see next week Scobie gets jiggy with the gardas wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭ergo

i see next week Scobie gets jiggy with the gardas wife.

well I'm glad I didn't read this thread before I watched tonight's episode, would have ruined everything :p

pretty good episode I thought

and that Garda's wife is quite nice too

but what struck me (and yes, back on the accent topic) is that Scobie sounds like he's from north Wexford / south Wicklow....... anyone agree...? is he?

ergo wrote:
    well I'm glad I didn't read this thread before I watched tonight's episode, would have ruined everything :p

pretty good episode I thought

and that Garda's wife is quite nice too

but what struck me (and yes, back on the accent topic) is that Scobie sounds like he's from north Wexford / south Wicklow....... anyone agree...? is he?

next weeks episode is about bomber and his girlfriend. both the characters IMO are stupid and pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

ergo wrote:

I watched it last night with some friends who hadn't seen it before and I explained to them that it was set in Offaly, etc. When Scobie appeared they reckoned I was taking the piss and that it was set in Wexford !

He has a fairly strong Wexford accent alright - is the actor from Wexford does anyone know ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭REDZ

The last episode had the first Irish made **** scene on Irish TV, we have come a long way baby!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

twas very good last nite. dunno how the whole bomer thing will be next week. i enjoy watching scobie and that gang. the guards wife is originally from cork, lived 2 miles up the road from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Last night was very good. I disagree that Bomber and his missus are useless characters. I think they're the believable couple actually.

REDZ wrote:
    The last episode had the first Irish made **** scene on Irish TV, we have come a long way baby!!!
    All I have to say is:
    000029670a8.jpg

murphaph wrote:
    All I have to say is:

LOL ah but podge and rodge are puppets. they do make reference to w@nking often enough. but you are right its not a first for irish tv.

angelas ashes had the 4 lads 'pleasing' themselves behind a wall. dont go in for that stuff though i wouldnt complain if it was a good looking woman.
    murphaph wrote:
    Last night was very good. I disagree that Bomber and his missus are useless characters. I think they're the believable couple actually.

its not bomber as such. he made a comment i had to laugh at about 'probably wouldnt bate flies off his mickey' which is similar to the midlands/tipperary /kilkenny lingo. went down like a funeral amongst his drinking buddies suprisingly as its normally the kind of immature sh*t we take with a grain of salt down here amongst the younger generation.

that bird of bombers has the 2nd most annoying accent in the show. jennys is the worst though i wouldnt kick her out of bed. id be happy to wear earplugs!!

bombers bird in comparison wouldnt see past the front door unless i drunk two gallons of spirits and thats being kind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

I've only seen this week's episode but I've got to say the show is pretty lame and predictable. The accents are definitely off-putting. But at least RTE are making the effort to try something different I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pablo21

Seen the first episode and I thought the accents were ludicrous but after a little thought I can identify lots of people I know very well with several of the characters. Ever been out for a night in Edenderry anyone? If you have you'll know what I mean.(great spot for a night out btw.) In fact, without haven been told anything about the show thats where I thought the whole thing was based. I dont watch too much TV but I have to say I've found Pure Mule very entertaining so far and will definitely be tuning for more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Yeah, I agree with ya pablo21. Myself and a few mates sat down to watch the first serious, and it was the first thing my friend said about it when it was over. You do find yourself relating it to some characters in real life.

Your one that's just back from Aussie, I cam so relate to. She's so like a girl I used to go to school with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Iv seen the three of them and i think the show is brilliant. The first one was good but the second wasn't, the third was the best. It had a bit of everything, sex drugs drink fighting and some humour.

The girl thats home from Australia with the brown hair is smokin hot, her sis aint half bad either.

Ill be watching next week to see how Mr Ed gets on with Bommer.

Ill be watching next week to see how Mr Ed gets on with Bommer.
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

TomTom wrote:
    I don't know where those accents are supposed to be from but i've never heard anybody talk like that in offaly. Then again banagher is a strange old place.
    I know what you mean, ma's side of the family is from Banagher, she thought the accents were dire.
    But it was shot in Banagher, and a few indoor sceens in Birr but is ment to be any small midlands town. So maybe thats the reason for the big mix of accents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

alleepally wrote:
    eh, well you did knock it on the first episode. And to answer your question, no I'm not a producer.

Fine, go ahead and make comments, but we've got your opinion now so you've done "yer talkin' " on this subject. Bye bye!

Stop being so "I own this board" - relax!

MMMmmm Yes - starting to like it now, its great not to be held to a postion,

Reason I changed my mind:

Listened to Ryan Tub of Tripe on the radio and heard the show from Ban.. SuperValu ... the director gave his dad a part - how cool is that!

Think Pure Muke is pretty good. Technically it is, dare I say it, far 'slicker' than any other Irish-produced drama we have seen (but, then again, miles off from most American shows). I wasn't cringing too much at the actors and accents, except maybe for that slightly slow, buck-teethed actress. Some of the acting is pretty good, for example that dark-haired girl who came back from Austrailia.

far 'slicker' than any other Irish-produced drama

I don't know I think Love Is The Drug, The Clinic and Paths to Freedom stands up to it. (Oh and The Family, they should make the woman who walk into doors).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Wow, what an episode tonight... some really incredible acting - Sean McGinley especially. 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Liked it tonight and the contrast from episode to episode is refreshing. I agree about the acting being good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

It started off a bit weak, i think. But the 2nd half really was excellent, particularly the bit about Bomber/Paul with his Dad & brothers. Great to see Sean McGinley as well.

Excellent stuff, wasn't expecting much from this weeks ep at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

I enjoyed last nights episode alot- 1st one I had ever seen,so its encouraging to say the least. What is the character Therese's real name?-brilliant actress..
    Accents were funny, yammed up a small bit for the camera though. It is definite midlands, maybe up as far as longford/Roscommon. Was there on a job recently and couldnt get over the sheer musicality of it!

Why do we always end up talking about accents? I think its more of a Wexford accent.

Last nights episode was great.

Is Sean McGinley from Wexford?

Pure Mule dominates IFTA shortlist
    The RTÉ/Accomplice Television drama series 'Pure Mule' has been nominated in seven categories, including all the acting categories, for this year's Irish Film and Television Awards.

'Pure Mule' is nominated for Best Drama, twice for Best Director (Declan Recks and Charlie McCarthy) and also for Best Sound (Philippe Faujas, Niall Brady and Ken Galvin).

Its stars, Tom Murphy, Dawn Bradfield, Garrett Lombard and Eileen Walsh, are nominated in the Best TV Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress categories respectively.

Among the other RTÉ co-productions which have received nominations in the various categories are 'Love is the Drug', 'The Clinic', 'Showbands', 'Killinaskully', 'The Panel', 'Stew', 'Show Me the Money' and 'John McGahern: A Private World'.

RTÉ's 'Prime Time Investigates' has been nominated twice in the Best Current Affairs Programme category for 'Home Truths' and 'The Money Pit'.

The full list of nominees can be seen at www.ifta.ie. RTÉ is not responsible for the content of external websites.

The awards take place on 5 November and will be broadcast on RTÉ One.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Elmo wrote:
    Its stars, Tom Murphy, Dawn Bradfield, Garrett Lombard and Eileen Walsh, are nominated in the Best TV Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress categories respectively.
    Which characters do they play?

Advertisement