Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

airline simulation

• 28-02-2012 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey, has anyone any advice( do's or don'ts) for the airline simulation game for the strategic management module?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

Yes.
    DO learn how to title your post in a meaningful way.
    DON'T waste people's time with posts about exercises in strategic management modules as if everyone on Boards is actually taking that module.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

extopia wrote: »
    Yes.
    DON'T waste people's time with posts about exercises in strategic management modules as if everyone on Boards is actually taking that module.

Alternatively, you could just ignore the threads that are of no relevance to you rather than posting some dickhead response to a legitimate question that would be of interest to 300+ students each year.
    Hey, has anyone any advice( do's or don'ts) for the airline simulation game for the strategic management module?

Thanks

The best piece of advice I can think of is to remember that it's a strategic management module. The financial performance of your airline is actually secondary to the decisions you make each week and your reasoning for making those decisions. The 3 key things I'd recommend are:

1. Read the simulation manual thoroughly before you start. You need to know what's required and what decisions you can make to implement your strategy.

2. Be able to justify each of the decisions you make with reference to strategic management theory.

3. Document your decisions and the rationale behind them each week. This will help you a lot when it comes to putting together the report at the end.

An Citeog wrote: »
    Alternatively, you could just ignore the threads that are of no relevance to you rather than posting some dickhead response to a legitimate question that would be of interest to 300+ students each year.

You can agree to differ, but I wouldn't call my advice a 'dickhead response', thank you very much. It's a strategic management module after all. I'm sure corporate communications strategy probably comes into it in some way. Targeting a message at those most able/willing to act on it is basic, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nondescriptuser

I wouldn't call my advice a 'dickhead response',

I would.
    So you can agree to differ.

Thanks for the advice An Citeog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Yes.

Please don't backseat mod. If you have nothing useful to contribute to a thread, then don't post. If you have a problem with a post then report it. These kind of comments are completely unnecessary.
    I would.
    So you can agree to differ.

Thanks for the advice An Citeog.
    An Citeog wrote: »

Again, if you have a problem with a post just report it.

• Advertisement

Konata wrote: »
    Please don't backseat mod. If you have nothing useful to contribute to a thread, then don't post. If you have a problem with a post then report it. These kind of comments are completely unnecessary.

Again, if you have a problem with a post just report it.

I have no idea what backseat mod means. But seeing as how you've brought it up, can I assure you my comments were genuine? What's wrong with pointing out the weaknesses of the OP's scattergun strategy? If you all want to be precious about this kind of thing, I would respectfully suggest that you reconsider your 'mod' motivations. I repeat, this is a respectful request, and god knows I understand the difficulties of this kind of voluntary work.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Meat

"everyone on Boards"... but it's posted in the DCU forum...

I'm doing the simulation this semester too. My group are currently doing pretty bad but we're hoping for a good result this week. It seems the best companies in our industry have always been the first ones to expand extensively into certain markets so we're hoping to emulate that strategy by picking two different markets to enter and monopolise. However, we are luxury so penetrating new markets could be difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I have no idea what backseat mod means. But seeing as how you've brought it up, can I assure you my comments were genuine? What's wrong with pointing out the weaknesses of the OP's scattergun strategy? If you all want to be precious about this kind of thing, I would respectfully suggest that you reconsider your 'mod' motivations. I repeat, this is a respectful request, and god knows I understand the difficulties of this kind of voluntary work.

I am sending you a PM to avoid derailing this thread further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fdfernandez

We are doing the airline simulation this quarter for our class. Is there any further information to share about this? Are there other threads that also apply? Thanks for any help you can provide.

This is in regards to the Interpretive Simulations Airline Strategy Simulation. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nondescriptuser

As I have only played the game once, with success arriving relatively late, please interpret my advice with caution:

Success in the module does not rely on success in the game. Focus on how it is you are going to present your weekly decisions at the end, and prioritise this above success in the game.

Seperating your offering from your class is an easy strategy to justify, and it also worked well in the end in my instance; we consistently maintained a high fares position and focused on specific route types when most others competed for low fare and regular fare categories.

Hope it helps. Good luck,if you've any specific questions get back to me, and post back how you get on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement