Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what should i expect for 10k

Options
  • 05-09-2009 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

hi all,
    i bought a new tent for the first time early this summer.i spent 5 week ends camping around mayo.[mostly achill]i ve fallen in love with the great outdoors but i have a problem.4 out of the 5 weekends we had to pack up and come home because of seriously strong winds.
    so,i have scraped my life savings together and i want to buy a campervan but i know absolutely nothing about them.i have never even been inside one.
    what could i expect to get for 10,000euro or what would anyone recomend.
    any help would be appreciated,thanks in advance,
    demoreino,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 changeforgood

With all the regulations brought in by the RSA I would first make sure that whatever you purchase has a DOE. It appears that the whole industry is in the dark presently with regards to DOE. Hold on to your 10,000 euro for the time being. Join one of the many clubs and attend a meet to look at the many camper vans that are available, most people will let you have a look inside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

We recently sold 3 1992 Coach builts for less than 10k . All in decent order . Or else a late 90's home conversion .

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Hi, great idea to get a campervan!

How many would be in the camper? it'll give give us an idea of size!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

thanks everyone for your replys.
    there would be two adults and a five year old but we rarely travel alone.we could pitch a tent beside the camper if necessary so i suppose a 4berth would be suitable.
    do people sleep in the awnings or is it just extra living space.

Rarely sleep under the awning unless you get alll the sides for it , it's just a roof after all . And not designed to be up in heavy wind or rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Hi Demoreino!! I logged on today to ask the same question; What can I expect for around 10 grand? Looking at what's for sale, I'd say a 95-99 conversion, which I'd be more than happy with.

I've always said that I would buy a camper van in 'a few years', but after the crap weather this summer, I've decided that the time to buy one is NOW!!

I go to a lot festivals, this year I've been to Life, Indiependence, Electric Picnic and Cois Fharraige, always camping in a tent. Getting covered in mud, getting damp and having to drag gear for miles across a festival site..... I'm getting too old for that s**t;)

Also, it would be nice to just 'head off' in the campervan at weekends, and just park up and sleep wherever I happen to end up!! Wake up looking at the sea, or whatever.

So, I'v a few questions to people that already own campers, if ye would'nt mind answering them, I'v held a full license for 4 years, held a provisional for 5years before that.......

- How much would insurance be, typically, on a late 90s conversion (transit or
    similar?)

- Is a DOE like an NCT , but for campervans?

- How much would tax be?

- If I get one, I will be storing it outdoors at a friends place, who lives in the
    countryside, and has plenty of space. Is keeping it outside through winter
    months a big no-no?

Thanks for your help:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

- How much would insurance be, typically, on a late 90s conversion (transit or
    similar?)

- Is a DOE like an NCT , but for campervans?

- How much would tax be?

- If I get one, I will be storing it outdoors at a friends place, who lives in the
    countryside, and has plenty of space. Is keeping it outside through winter
    months a big no-no?

Thanks for your help:cool:

Insurance is around €320 per year

Tax is around €85 assuming that it's registered as a motorhome

DOE is only kicking off in the past couple of months, have a read of the other discussions on boards.

Outdoor storage isn't a big problem (indoor would be preferable), depends on the vehicle and how well sealed it is. There's always an option to purchase a cover to give it a little extra protection.

Some of the insurance companies may require an engineers report on vehicles over 15years.

just be careful... I've seen so many dodgey Conversions it's sickening .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Thanks for the info. Tax and Insurance are a lot cheaper than I thought they would be:P

Really can't wait to get one now, I keep seeing camper vans everywhere I go recently, it's like a sign from God that I should invest:cool:.
    I'm trying to read up about them as much as possible before I take the plunge though, because I really don't know much about them, and I don't know anyone that owns one that I can ask. Really don't want to get fleeced!!

I'm finding this forum very useful, so thanks to everyone x

Advertisement