Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Instrument do u play?

• 21-10-2004 7:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭

What instrument? When did you start? Why? Style? And if your in a band?

Me:

I play the Keyboard. Started about March 2004. The Doors. All styles of music (Except Heavy Metal). Not in a Band.

This will also help people find people for their bands if their looking.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

play guitar, started when i was about 12, not in a band and i'm awaiting delivery of my new eletric guitar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I play violin, started when I was 7. Um.. I play classical stuff, almost nonexistant amounts of Trad. Style..? uh, Vivaldi? :D

Also play guitar, started last January, don't have a style because I still suck too much.

Also play piano, never started officially, got lessons, or made any attempt to learn as such, but I can read the music and all that jazz. Style, Final Fantasy. =D

Technically I sing, but everyone can sing, so that doesn't count, 'tall 'tall.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Guitar: bass, electric, acoustic. 4, 5, 6 or 7 strings.

Some terrible drumming too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 jimmyj123456

I play bass :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Guitar last year sometime

Dont have a style because I havent wrote too many songs yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

What instrument? - bass

When did you start? - 3 or 4years ago

Why? - because the band i was in didnt have a bass player

Style? - punk,grunge,,rock,ska,pop

And if your in a band? - yes, a punk band called The Truth About Teen Pregnancy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

ferdi wrote:
    And if your in a band? - yes, a punk band called The Truth About Teen Pregnancy

About ****ing time, man ;) Good luck with it!

Bass since 1989, fretted, fretless, 4, 5 or 6 strings
    Guitar since 1991
    Drums since 1996

Style? I try all of them.

Why? Went to see Megadeth in 88, while Mustaine was shooting up heroin backstage (allegedly), Ellefson was out front playing the bassline to "These Boots Were Made For Walkin' " - thought it was the coolest thing ever, had to get a bass. Guitar and drums, just out of frustration with guitarists and drummers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I play the guitar, started about 2 years ago on acoustic, got my first electric about 2 months ago. Currently in a band called stuka, swap guitar with lead guitarist when basslines are too tricky to sing to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭daram

Started with piano when I was four, um, 1988 or there abouts. Did all the grades before I left school and then moved on to jazz and blues. Started the guitar in Irish college one year about 7 years back and havent looked back. I play acoustic and electric. Started a band about 3years ago. Learnt to play bass a bit, and when the drummer bought his drums I started learning on his kit, but Im not very good. Oh and for a period in the middle of all that I played traditional flute for about four years, but I stopped for some reason and probably cant play anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

What instrument?
    At the moment, Bass

When did you start?
    A couple of months ago.

Why?
    Because a Rock band doesn't have much use for a mandolinist. Add to that the fact that I can't sing (the guy who says everyone can sing obviously hasn't heard me), I can't drum (my complete lack of co-ordination is actually amusing) and the fact that everyone plays guitar, and I haven't ended up with much choice.

Style?
    Crap improvisation. As I said, I've only been playing for a couple of months, and my band is far too disorganised to put a song together, so we just play random improv (not something our vocalists are too happy about, I might add). I've never had lessons, for that matter, just teaching myself improv theory and getting my brother (who's been playing bass a good few years now) to help me with technique.

In a band?
    See above, we haven't written any songs or gigged yet, come to think of it we don't even have an actual name, so it's rather difficult to consider us a band.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

i play guitar and bass, bass at the moment as our current bassist is being a dick and wont practise

Started four years ago because my friend i sat next to in secondary school played!

we play good ol fashioned RAWK!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Zoton

Guitar, started at 17, in september of '97 when i got my very own acoustic.
    Play rock/metal/cheese generally.
    Not in a band unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

play guitar badly , boyfrend got me a fantastic demon v for my birthjday , the best reason in the world tp learn to play better ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

What instrument?
    I play guitar.

When did you start?
    Just over two years ago. I started on electric and I taught myself.

Why?
    It was just a spur of the moment thing... I just decided one day maybe I'll learn to play guitar. I wasn't really even into rock music at the time. But it was one of the best decisions I ever made. :p

Style?
    Punk/ Hardcore/ Oi.

And if your in a band?
    No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DrummerBoy

What instrument?
    Drums

When did you start?
    '98 maybe?!? I owned a drum kit for just over a year before I actually sat down a started to try and play it!

Why?
    Not really sure to be honest. I guess I just took a liking to them.

Style?
    Changing and expanding all the time. Started with "For whom the bell tolls", played around with some Tool and Jazz and latin beats. Whatever I'm listening to at the time.

In a band?
    Not at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I play guitar.

Been playing for about 5 years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Bass for three years, guitar for just under a year. For bass I try and play varied styles but I really don't like playing funk slap stuff, it just doesn't interest me. As for the guitar, I just stick to easy rock stuff as I'm still not used to the little strings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Drumms

why: why not?...excited byNeil Peart of Rush and his extraordinary power and dynamic what a mouthfull!

when did I start: around 82 for real, after a few years of smashing tupperwear and pots and pans.

Style: well it is a Neil Peartish style,,,tried to hone my own but what the heck has he NOT DONE! for us to have our own eh?...dramatic, dynamic,hard hitting, non predictable...I think!!! ask DOC.J!! hehhehe

In Band: 2 I think well we all get busiy with home lives etc

ciao' amigos...Baggio..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

I play Piano......:confused:

"on your own on your own on own"

Any other pianists here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

yeah its pretty much just guitar bass and drums in here. is this the fault of us regulars for making it kind of cliquish in here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Yes. Yes it is. :p
    Anyway, me it's guitar and bass.
    I started guitar because I went through half a dozen other instruments and hated them all and was told, "You're doing music up until Junior Cert and that's that!" The I realised I loved guitar and it stuck with me. My style is pretty much my own. It's very simple and clear and as expressive as I can make it. It's only been a year and a half so I'm still developing it. I started bass because I decided I could use a rhythm instrument as well and I liked guitaresque instruments. It's only been about half a year on bass though so don't even really have a style with it yet. If my brother ever gets a drum kit you can add that to my list as well. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

What: Guitar(predictabley)

Why/When: After my Confirmation when I was like 12(15 now) my friend was going to take me to Ramp 'n' Rail skatepark in Drumcondra, Dublin. But then he found out about guitar lessons starting that same day so he forgot about skating brought me along(I had an old spanish guitar my mom used to own so I brought that). At first I wasn't into music at all, so I learned stuff like Californication and Warning without even hearing them. In fact for a good while after all I'd heard was some Nirvana stuff and I was learning Thin Lizzy and Foo Fighters and other stuff I'd never heard. My rhythm and accuracy was always pretty good though so I could play what the teacher told me. Then a year later I got free lessons off a teacher at my new school every Friday. I learned a lot of U2 off him. And then in second year I gave up. There were no more lessons in school and the other lesdsons were taking up my Saturday afternoon. However, after Christmas that year I got a Nirvana album for my birthday and I found out how to rip albums to my PC. I gradually accquired a lot of other albums through copying my friends' ones(I now have about 80 :D). I then could play along with Californication and other songs I learned. I went back to lessons a few times but never could make myself keep going. Then I learned about tabs. They opened up a whole new world of guitar playing to me. I then learned almost every Nirvana song and some RHCP stuff too. As I got into other stuff I could learn them also. So I've been learning stuff off tabs for about 2 years now. And now I know some theory and I can write some of my own stuff(but not a lot).
    Whew, that was long!!

Style: All styles of rock

In a band: Not really, just told my so called "band" that I wanted to start my own band dbut Im was happy to still play with them. They didn't take it to well, but I had to do what I had to do, we had an all right singer, an all right guitarist, a begginer bassist who never turns up for "practice" and no drummer. But I'm more advanced than that, I want to form a real band with people who are at the same level as me. See my thread in the bands forum if you are a drummer or singer who's available(I think I have a bassist already).

Oh and I nearly forgot... :p

What: Recorder(Yeah baby!)

When: When I was like 8(7 years ago)

Why: Parents(Although it has helped me immensly with guitar so I don't regret the decision of my parents)

Style: umm... Baroque I suppose, and Jazz and some other styles

In a band: was in a recorder ensemble a year ago. I quit fairly soon after I joined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Play drums for just over ten years now. Style - none and all I suppose... in a band? Yes. We play funky/rock/strange stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

What instrument?
    Drums

When did you start?
    Not a clue tbh. Went thru about 18 months of being unable to practice initially due to living in a guesthouse. Lol.

Why?
    For the sake of it?

Style?
    Shít.

In a band?
    Narr. See above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

TimAy wrote:
    I play Piano......:confused:

"on your own on your own on own"

Any other pianists here?

I'd join you on this one, I play Keyboard / Piano!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭pixie_student

What instrument?
    Guitar (accoustic)

When did you start?
    Few months ago now!

Why?
    Why not...

Style?
    Loads of it :p

In a band?
    Not yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

fiddle ..

started when I was about 5
    traditional only.. :(
    not so into it now.. kind of forced into it as a kid.. so pity really kinda grew to hate it!!

I can honestly say that hatred for the fiddle is natural instinct and does not, grow on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I can honestly say that hatred for the fiddle is natural instinct and does not, grow on you.

what you mean.. that either you love it or u hate it immediately? I had a choice of what ever instrument.. well.. once it was a trad instrument that is! Big trad area..
    But yeah.. fiddle was my favourite.. but became something I had to do.. so ended up despising it!!

• Advertisement

Don't matter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Technically I sing, but everyone can sing, so that doesn't count, 'tall 'tall.

I take acceptation at that, I am a singer and I also teach singing. I treat my voice as an instrument and I try to encourage all my students to do the same. To say that everyone can sing is the same as saying that everyone has vocal chords and a larynx, it's true, but it doesn't mean that they know how to use them.
    The voice is a very complicated instrument and it needs to be understood and worked on just as much as any physical instrument.

So anyway.... my instruments are voice (obviously) some piano and guitar and bass but I'm still learning.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Heh, I was just waiting for someone to say that.

I didn't mean offense, I realise voice is an instrument as well, but what I meant was that I can sing, but I'm not a singer. I'm not trained. Just that a lot of people claim to be singers or whatever only because alright, they can get the notes, but they actually don't know how to use their voice. Like someone who can play like little tunes on the piano (you know those ones that EVERYONE knows? I don't know what they're called but they're damn annoying), they can play piano technically, but they're not a pianist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Instrument: drums, up until about two years ago, I had them put in storage when I moved up to the big shmoke for college :(

Playing em 5 years-ish until I stopped, but I do hope to get them dusted off and back in action when I finish up and find somewhere nice to live that doesnt mind noise :cool:

In the meantime to stave off insanity, I've been messing about with Propellorhead Reason, Rebirth etc. for a few years, got a dinky barebones midi keyboard controller, tis great fun!

- lamps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Heh, I was just waiting for someone to say that.

I didn't mean offense, I realise voice is an instrument as well, but what I meant was that I can sing, but I'm not a singer. I'm not trained. Just that a lot of people claim to be singers or whatever only because alright, they can get the notes, but they actually don't know how to use their voice. Like someone who can play like little tunes on the piano (you know those ones that EVERYONE knows? I don't know what they're called but they're damn annoying), they can play piano technically, but they're not a pianist.

Cool, I know what you mean. :D
    Chopsticks is the one that most people know on the piano... most annoying ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Guitar, drums, bass, singing, and some piss poor piano/keyboard playing.

I love music, and I love creating music (I might lose my mind if I couldn't) and I love collaborating... but I'm a control freak when it comes to my music.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

What Eoin said!

Started guitar when I was nearly 8 years of age, so 1988.
    My mum could play a bit, so I wanted to learn.

Play guitar well, drums okay, mandolin and bass I'm just too lazy to get to a decent level, and anything else vaguely guitarlike I'll throw my hat at too...

And I sing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I play drums. I started...Hmmm maybe 2 years at this stage. Some time in fourth year anyhow. A few friends and myself just decided that we'd like to be in a band and I got drum duty.
    I'm very happy with it now truth be told, and I can't really picture myself playing any sort of stringey thing soon. I used to play piano, but that got all the fun sucked out of it by grades.
    Style? Mostly rock and all it's varients. I was shown some funk drumming early on and it still interests me and jazz would but I find it just too delicate for the moment.
    I am in a band (the band with which I started in fact, plus 1 member) but we can't do any gigs cause we haven't got a bloody singer :rolleyes:
    We don't have a name

Waltons, you should use your sig as your band name!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I play guitar, and came out the womb rockin'

Waltons, you should use your sig as your band name!
    It's a Radiohead lyric sadly and although most people wouldn't get it, someone who did would probably instantly label us a Radiohead tribute band and we're kinda looking for something that won't give people any preconceptions.

• Advertisement

Cool, What type of music you play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 niallo22

I play guitar,have done for 2 years,acoustic and electric,started playing because my ex-girlfriend bought me a guitar,the only thing she was good for!My style is beatles,velvet underground,libertines strokes kind of thing,not in a band at the mo but would like to get one started if anyone is interested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

What instrument?
    Bass and the occasional stab at guitar.

When did you start?
    just less than 2 years ago.

Why?
    Donno, guess i always wanted to play an instrument and thought "Bass, that cool, a shur why not"

Style?
    Not sure, too many influences to tie myself down

In a band?
    Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

What Guitar, Bass, Pianner, Drum Machines, I play Fruity Loops quite well too! (Yes it is an instrument,well, to me it is... :p ) I sing too...

How long? Been guitarin' now bout 11 years :D It be my main instrument..

Why? Because I love music....Always have always will.

Style? Picked up a lot of influences over the years so it's hard to say really ,no, wait!.....it's in my name! I'm into the Fusion, like to play all styles really, studying Be Bop at the moment, but have played a lot of funk, rock, blues, classical and a bit of flemenco to top it off :D

Band? Yeah college one, trying to get something set up outside of college though, get some gigs happenin.

Cool, What type of music you play?
    At the moment it's sounding like stoner rock, but we're really all over the place. We were doing on the spot jazzy stuff last week and then went straight into something Motorhead-esque, so it's bloody hard to get a singer.
    I love skipping genres too though, and I don't want to be pidgeonholed into a genre. It might be a little ambitious, but I'd love to have a bit of blues, rock and jazz (and whatever else comes to mind) all mixed in together. Thank jesus the rest of the band are capable and willing.
    What kind of stuff do you play yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 zotteken

I don't play any instrument, would like to learn to play the keyboard though.

Cheers
    Zotteken

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

What instrument?
    I play Guitar, bad Piano, worse Boudhran, really bad Bouzouki, offensively bad Mandolin and some criminally sub-standard harmonica.

When did you start?
    I started the Guitar 7 years ago, and to this day it never ceases to amaze me how Guitarists half my age (I'm 26) put me to absolute shame in instrument shops. I only half-jokingly tell my friends that every time I go into Music Maker I seem to be the worst Guitarist in the acoustic room. Even if I'm playing something a little fancy, there is always some prepubescent git gliding effortlessly through some Hendrix number or insanely complex picking, whilst chatting idly with his mates. I begrudge everybody better than me their talent.

Why?
    I adore music. I can't imagine my life without it.

Style?
    100% acoustic. I have 6 Guitars; 3 Dreadnought acoustics, 1 Classical, 1 12-String, 1 electric, and whilst I know this will sound like heresy to many or most of you, the electric simply doesn't get a look in. I even play all of my Lead Guitar on the acoustic. I have a life-long obsession with the sound of an acoustic Guitar. Whenever I get a rock/indie album, almost inevitably, if there is an acoustic song on the album, it usually becomes my favourite over time. I don't hate the sound of Electric Guitar, I love it too. But I'm inexplicably drawn like a magnet to the sound of an Acoustic Guitar, and this has manifested itself, rightly or wrongly (i.e. wrongly), in me virtually completely ignoring the Electric Guitar in terms of my own playing.

In a band?
    No, never. I have gigged a few times (probably about 10 times), but never been in a band. I have pondered the reasons why, and found they are many and varied. For starters, I have always played football for a club, and between training, matches, and the corollary boozing that ensues, it doesn't leave a huge amount of scope to make another large commitment. I'm also extremely lazy, and if I'm honest, probably daunted a little by the prospect. I certainly suffered from nerves before any of the gigs I have done.

But not being into electric guitars also limits my appeal to a certain extent. If I was to start gigging, I think I would probably like it to be as a 2 or 3 piece, with two acoustic Guitars (kind of like Turin Brakes in that regard), or perhaps one guitar and one piano. As an aside, has anybody else noticed how a disproportionately high number of the people who post in the 'Musicians Wanted' sections of sites like this are looking to set up, or are currently in, Heavy Metal bands? I'm not looking to flame anybody, but I predominantly hate Heavy Metal. I often respect the musicianship, but hate listening to it. So the odd time that I do have a look in the 'Musicians Wanted' section of a site, it irritates me slightly to keep reading Heavy Metal ad after Heavy metal ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Disco J

What do I play? Bass Guitar

When did I start? 1992

Why? Started off on Guitar, but everybody else played guitar so I picked up the bass. Had this crazy aunt who used to go into second hand shops and buy the weirdest stuff, one day she bought a Tokai bass for about £5 and lent it to me, bitch asked for it back for one of her other nephew's who snapped the neck the next day. Guitar waould be worth quite a bit now-a-days. Considering Tokai are now making all the Jap Fenders.

Style? Varies from band to band, I'm self taught so I would have to say it Disco J style. :cool:

In a Band? Been in a few, working with Fitz and Eoin now and it's cool, get to rock out more than any other band I've played with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 elf-boy

I play drums.
    I started around may 2003.
    I started because i've always loved drums.
    I manely play heavy metal but I somtimes play jazz.
    I'm in about 3 bands but we don't have names yet.

*bump

• Advertisement
Advertisement