Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

construction work

• 18-10-2014 9:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Don't know if this is in the right place but thought I'd post here anyway.

I've a cousin who's returning home from oz after xmass and he's been asking me what the situation is like back here in home in construction work in and around galway or even Dublin mainly plastering and tiling.

He's been saying a few out there have been coming home as their visa run out but hadn't renewed seeing as things have been picking up again here.

Can anyone tell me what the situation is with construction work in and around where yous live.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 paul1969

dublin and every where is brutal agencies give u work for very low money no holiday pay no entitlements of any description Enda kenny stopped unions from fixing a union rate to get us to work for nothing to get his schools built .There is no fixed rates of pay or travel money or nothing they pay you what they want i came back here its a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

paul1969 wrote: »
    dublin and every where is brutal agencies give u work for very low money no holiday pay no entitlements of any description Enda kenny stopped unions from fixing a union rate to get us to work for nothing to get his schools built .There is no fixed rates of pay or travel money or nothing they pay you what they want i came back here its a joke

Why should you be paid to travel to work when nobody else in the country is?? Tbh travel money is a farce!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭hexosan

Why should you be paid to travel to work when nobody else in the country is?? Tbh travel money is a farce!!

All our politicians spring to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

they pay you what they want

.. which is kind of par for the course in any number of sectors. It's called market rates, which, in a slump will go down. Just as in the boom they went, for some remarkably and for many more, tidily, up.

I recall folk jumping ship during the boom because there was 3-5 grand extra a year to be had by the labour-strapped business next door.

Them war the years. Otherwise, business as usual for Oirland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

duckcfc wrote: »
    Don't know if this is in the right place but thought I'd post here anyway.

I've a cousin who's returning home from oz after xmass and he's been asking me what the situation is like back here in home in construction work in and around galway or even Dublin mainly plastering and tiling.

He's been saying a few out there have been coming home as their visa run out but hadn't renewed seeing as things have been picking up again here.

Can anyone tell me what the situation is with construction work in and around where yous live.
    Its better than it has been for 3 years but still slow enough .
    Work is not impossible to get anymore
    If you are lucky enough to get a job with any construction firm you will be aware that the faster you work shorter the job lasts . So to keep good people on the books they pay enough money for them to sleep away from home if needed .

• Advertisement

O.A.P wrote: »
    Its better than it has been for 3 years but still slow enough .
    Work is not impossible to get anymore

If you are lucky enough to get a job with any construction firm you will be aware that the faster you work shorter the job lasts . So to keep good people on the books they pay enough money for them to sleep away from home if needed .

Im a q.s, i understand the process i just dont agree with it

Im a q.s, i understand the process i just dont agree with it

agencies have good men in every town theres a job in in ireland so they don't have to pay accom. or travel if they get a few months out of ya there happy they let u go for a few weeks so they dont have to give u holiday pay or anything

its different on the building for agencies u could be on 3 different sites in 3 different counties in a week youl,d be nearly be out money

its different on the building for agencies u could be on 3 different sites in 3 different counties in a week youl,d be nearly be out money

We refuse to use agency guys.... Purely because there unreliable and have terrible attitudes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

We refuse to use agency guys.... Purely because there unreliable and have terrible attitudes

We avoid them like the plague for exactly the same reason, BUT having seen in the past how the agencies treat them to an extent I understand the cause of the attitude. I still won't pay for it though.

• Advertisement

cork2 wrote: »
    We avoid them like the plague for exactly the same reason, BUT having seen in the past how the agencies treat them to an extent I understand the cause of the attitude. I still won't pay for it though.

Cousin gave a week wit one and got absolutely rode!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mikiejon

i worked for agencies they are parasites.

Advertisement