Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sending a fax from a computer

Options
  • 26-09-2014 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I want to send a fax comprising of four pdf documents to and a scanned png image (signed document) to a U.S based fax number. I've been doing a bit of searching online about using an email based service but they all seem to want me to sign up to a monthly plan of some sort. This is a one-off task so I don't want to sign up to anything.
    I also have a modem built into my lenovo t410. I attempted to send a test fax to my mobile phone (in the hopes that it would ring and I would hear an analogue handshake) but it came up and send unknown error. I'm using windows scan and fax tool on windows 8.1 pro.
    If anyone has any suggestions before I just go out and buy a fax machine I would be much obliged.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

Perhaps try efax.com?

I used to use their service on a monthly renewal basis.

There is a 30 day trial available which may suit your need.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I've never used these, so enter your credit card details at your own risk, but this lot seem to do one off faxes for $1.95 for up to 10 pages to a US number.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Thoie wrote: »
    I've never used these, so enter your credit card details at your own risk, but this lot seem to do one off faxes for $1.95 for up to 10 pages to a US number.

efax.com are quite reputable. However, be aware of those phishing emails going around stating it is from efax.com attaching a fax, when in actual fact that is a virus. Usually attaches a .zip or .exe file. Be careful. However, the real company efax.com are 100% safe.

You could try Goldfish or Blueface, they do email-to-fax and AFAIK you do not need to pay a monthly fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Do your test again to a landline in Ireland, should work. Not sure mobile networks support fax anymore. I know vodafone switched their service off.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

bmm wrote: »
    Do your test again to a landline in Ireland, should work. Not sure mobile networks support fax anymore. I know vodafone switched their service off.

Thanks for that. I will try that test again. I just thought that the error came up so soon that there wasn't even an attempt to dial out. Vodafone seem to be shutting off everything. I'm using my (very handy) @vodafone.ie email address next month. Not to sure why they are canceling this service. It was great for immediate notifications for online auctions and adverts alerts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I've ended up going with payperfax.com I looked at many many prepay solutions. Some had a limit of 25 pages. Although payperfax only allowed me to upload two documents I inserted the scanned documents into the word fax cover sheet and then saved it as a pdf. I used smallpdf.com to merge this and three other pdf files into one almighty 29 page pdf. I'm at the checkout stage now - so here goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭65535

blueface do this as well

Advertisement