Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CE Stamping of Structural Steel

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Gryire

Drift wrote: »
    Apologies - I took this to mean that you (as a fabricator I'm assuming) thought that it was my job as a designer/specifier to go around the country telling fabricators all about the hENs when they should know as much if not more about them than me.

I spend a disproportionate amount of time checking for compliance with my specifications. The smaller the project the harder it gets. I find on the big projects, big contractors and big fabricators are used and most of them are reasonably well up to speed.

On smaller projects (where understandably it is difficult to afford big fabricator and contractor rates) it can be excruciatingly difficult getting the simplest information across or back. It's incredibly frustrating when sometimes the letters C and E are news to the fabricator and contractor.

I realise that checking compliance with my specification includes checking that legal requirements are met but this should be a small simple part of the process because I hope that anyone working in the field is competent enough to obey the law. Then I should be able to quickly move on to the nitty gritty of my exact requirements and explain where necessary why I need certain things. With competent suppliers this process is a dialogue - with less competent ones it's policing!

The reason a lot of fabricators are not CE compliant is because a lot of engineers / builders / architects don't demand it. I wish they would demand it.

Also, the competent ones still have to compete in price with non-complant ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

Gryire wrote: »
    Also, the competent ones still have to compete in price with non-complant ones!

And the competent Engineers have to try to explain to their clients why their steelwork is more expensive that Johnny down the road who threw in a few bicycle frames and isn't the conservatory standing just grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

And the competent Engineers have to try to explain to their clients why their steelwork is more expensive that Johnny down the road who threw in a few bicycle frames and isn't the conservatory standing just grand!

Who the heck, is building Conservatories with bicycle frames, ( please name and shame ), or at least send me a PM, of all the simplistic, over the top, inflammatory and misleading throw away comments on this Forum over the past years, this takes the biscuit.

NO-ONE is building conservatories with bicycle frames!!!!!!

I was exaggerating hugely in an attempt to give the reader a chuckle. Clearly I missed the mark.

I was undecided between bicycle frames and shopping trollies - would shopping trollies have been funnier?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭lownhard

NO-ONE is building conservatories with bicycle frames!!!!!!

I was exaggerating hugely in an attempt to give the reader a chuckle. Clearly I missed the mark.

I chuckled..

• Advertisement

Just tell him that the conservatory is not insurable and if it falls on the bikes then they won't be insured either and if building control call they may ask for the structure to be taken down.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

I laughed also and got the point.

I worked on some of the biggest projects in the 60 and 70 in Ireland. Back then the Steel supplier guaranteed the Steel Quality While the Welders had to be certified to work on certain projects mainly by the insistence of the Insurance Companies. Also in some cases section of Welds were removed for Test and Inspection, To see that they met the standards. I've even carried out many such Tests both at the request of the company and also the Insurance Company.
    I'm curious to know who called for these new standards. Are they aimed at the quality of Steel supplied or the quality of the Fabricated Manufacture. Including the standard and quality of the Welders carrying out such work.

From what I've read it seems like the proverbial sledgehammer to crack a nut. While I see it as positive step in large Fabricated structures. I fail to see any benefit in small projects, something like the use of an RSJ to hold up a few blocks over and ope. A Steel Door Frame Or a set of Farm Gates.
    It just seems like overkill. Like some of the new Building Regs when there's no evidence to support that fabricated buildings or Houses have been consistently fallen down. Thankfully in my experience most Irish personnel have generally taken much more pride in their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

martinn123 wrote: »
    Who the heck, is building Conservatories with bicycle frames, ( please name and shame ), or at least send me a PM, of all the simplistic, over the top, inflammatory and misleading throw away comments on this Forum over the past years, this takes the biscuit.

what's wrong with bicycle frames then ?

you could create an amazing conservatory roof thingy out of them

not cheap either some of them :

https://www.racycles.com/road/colnago/colnago-c59-mapei-frameset-1556

Ah Lads, whats this National Anti-Conservatory day.

Just to be clear, all Conservatory Roofs are made from Aluminium, and
    re-inforcing of windows is usually from the same material

As this thread is discussing Structural Steel, I don't think either Building Control, or anyone else will be too interested on your comments on Conservatories, bikes etc.

Now can I get back to trying to make a living in Conservatories without further adverse opinion, it's hard enough out there.;)

Ah Lads, whats this National Anti-Conservatory day.

Just to be clear, all Conservatory Roofs are made from Aluminium, and
    re-inforcing of windows is usually from the same material

As this thread is discussing Structural Steel, I don't think either Building Control, or anyone else will be too interested on your comments on Conservatories, bikes etc.

Now can I get back to trying to make a living in Conservatories without further adverse opinion, it's hard enough out there.;)

I am afraid aluminum structures are included in the CE marking requirements. EN 1090-3 is dedicated to aluminium structures.

• Advertisement

Gryire wrote: »
    I am afraid aluminum structures are included in the CE marking requirements. EN 1090-3 is dedicated to aluminium structures.

Why be afraid, Conservatories up to 25 SQM are exempt from Building Regulations,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,851 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Why be afraid, Conservatories up to 25 SQM are exempt from Building Regulations,

Not exempt from Building regs, just from Planning permission application.

Also if they aren't constructed properly they will be deemed uninsurable.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,078 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Not exempt from construction production regulations, which requires CE marking.

Regardless of exemption from building regulations.

Construction Products Regulations are law. Nothing to do with building regs!

Quazzie wrote: »
    Not exempt from Building regs, just from Planning permission application.

Also if they aren't constructed properly they will be deemed uninsurable.

Point 1. Incorrect
    Point 2 . Example please.

The construction products regulations are the law and apply to all harmonised construction products regardless of the size of the building in which they are used. (This means CE marking.)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

The construction products regulations are the law and apply to all harmonised construction products regardless of the size of the building in which they are used. (This means CE marking.)
    Should each piece of conservatory aluminium have a CE marking?

BryanF wrote: »
    Should each piece of conservatory aluminium have a CE marking?

Only if it is structural.

Depends on what you define by structural:

1. Windows require certification.
    2. DPMs require it.

Also things like:
    • Fire Alarms
    • Radiators
    • Pipes
    • Paving Slabs
    • Slates
    • Insulation
    • etc/

Apologies .. I just realised BryanF asked specifically about the aluminium in a conservatory!!!!!

• Advertisement

Depends on what you define by structural:

1. Windows require certification.
    2. DPMs require it.

Also things like:
    • Fire Alarms
    • Radiators
    • Pipes
    • Paving Slabs
    • Slates
    • Insulation
    • etc/

The forum was really about the construction products regulations.

All of those items are covered by the Construction Products Regulations and they all require CE marking.

It's not just steel and concrete!

All of those items are covered by the Construction Products Regulations and they all require CE marking.

It's not just steel and concrete!

Fire Alarms
    Radiators

There seems to be a lot more demand for CE marked steel lately. Think this was due to seminar held be egineers ireland a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 owenky1

Will plates be used for the likes of agricultural steel buildings to show compliance with
    I.S. EN1090-1 ?

-snip-

Advertisement