Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell Xps M1530 screens type...whats the difference?

• 10-11-2008 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I am seeking your help, cause I am planning to buy the Dell XPS M1530 with 256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) 8600M GT as the video card. Will be used for film editing, music production and gaming
    (naturally: entertainment on the sideline...a student life).

So the question is what is the difference between
    • 15.4" UltraSharp(TM) Widescreen WSXGA+ (1680x1050) TFT Display with TrueLife(TM)
    • 15.4" Widescreen WUXGA+ CCFL (1920x1200) TFT Display with TrueLife™
    :confused:
    Cheers, Hope to hear from you soon.:D

Which do you think is better to get? 0 votes

15.4" UltraSharp(TM) Widescreen WSXGA+ (1680x1050) TFT Display with TrueLife(TM)
    0% 0 votes
    15.4" Widescreen WUXGA+ CCFL (1920x1200) TFT Display with TrueLife™
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

1920x1200 is the resolution, ie how many pixels the screen is made up of. A higher resolution is sharper and means you can fit more on the screen, but on the flip side, everything is a little smaller.

1920x1200 on a 15" is too high for me personally, everything is very small. Obviously you can change font settings etc but in general the DPI scaling in Vista isn't 100%.

The 1920x1200 is also a little less bright than the lower-res iirc.

Truelife means the screen is glossy, this gives a vibrant image but is succeptible to reflections in bright surroundings, and gives less accurate colour representation.

CCFL means the screen is backlit using traditional flourescent lamps. A newer type of backlighting is LED, it is better in most respects, and available on some models, you'll have to check into it to see availablility.

With the 8600M, you won't be able to game at 1920x1200, the card just won't cut it (on modern games), so you'll need to run at a lower resolution. Which results in blurry-o-vision.

The 1440x900 was the best screen on the M1530 at the time I was buying. It was the brightest, with the best rep for quality, and a better match for the GPU. Its the best res for a 15" imo, at least until the DPI scaling is a little more consistent. Not sure if its still available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

Glossy screens.

You'll see every finger mark on the things. The colours may be more vibrant, but it doesn't work in sunlight at all. It's a pain in the butt to clean too, I had to buy a flat panel screen cleaner to get it anyway decent. It looks alright, but it's a pain in the ass.

1440x900 is my resolution (CCFL). It's about the maximum the 8600 will deal with snappilly, and running games at less than this gives a noticeable improvement.Anything above that on a 15 inch laptop is overkill anyway. That said, I am used to much less.

I can run Bioshock at Maximum DX10 settings, at around 1280x720, or thereabouts. A bit lurchy, but it looks good. Stalker CS gives areound 25-40 FPS using Dynamic lighting, and with some stuff turned off. S'okay for casual gaming, and it'd sure handle thinks like Counterstrike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,049 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I have a glossy screen myself and dont have a problem with it. If you want to work in a car or at a sunward window you would have issues, but in 9/10 of situations its a non-issue. I definitely prefer it over standard screens because of the aforementioned vibrant image. Dont know that I've ever had a complaint about the color gamut; quite the opposite really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

go with the more expensive one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Somebal

With the 8600M, you won't be able to game at 1920x1200, the card just won't cut it (on modern games), so you'll need to run at a lower resolution. Which results in blurry-o-vision.

so basically if the laptop is on 1920x1200 the game will automatically run at a lower resolution, which in turns makes it look blurry-o-vision. Does this mean that it will heat up the video card much more if it was with the 1920x1200?

Also what is the difference between Widescreen WUXGA and UltraSharp Widescreen WSXGA?
    Just relized that you have answered this question... my bad :o:p

• Advertisement

Dartz wrote: »
    Glossy screens.
    I can run Bioshock at Maximum DX10 settings, at around 1280x720, or thereabouts. A bit lurchy, but it looks good. Stalker CS gives areound 25-40 FPS using Dynamic lighting, and with some stuff turned off. S'okay for casual gaming, and it'd sure handle thinks like Counterstrike.

so Dartz, if it was a game like "Assassins Creed" or A "Company of Heroes" and the likes, it should be fine?

Overheal wrote: »
    I have a glossy screen myself and dont have a problem with it. If you want to work in a car or at a sunward window you would have issues, but in 9/10 of situations its a non-issue. I definitely prefer it over standard screens because of the aforementioned vibrant image. Dont know that I've ever had a complaint about the color gamut; quite the opposite really.

Overheal, thanks for the info...but I really doubt that I will be working in a moving object, don’t want to share my lunch with my laptop for obvious reasons. :p
    samhail wrote: »
    go with the more expensive one :)

Samhail - thanks but that did not help me much. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

Somebal wrote: »
    so Dartz, if it was a game like "Assassins Creed" or A "Company of Heroes" and the likes, it should be fine?

I have no idea.... I'm not that heavy duty a gamer ot have tested it, though there are videos of a 1530 playing Crysis at 'some' level on Youtube. The 8600 is a basic card. It'll be playable probably... anything I suppose would be playable. At what quality though? Depends on how efficient or well behaved the engine is

Dartz wrote: »
    I have no idea.... I'm not that heavy duty a gamer ot have tested it, though there are videos of a 1530 playing Crysis at 'some' level on Youtube. The 8600 is a basic card. It'll be playable probably... anything I suppose would be playable. At what quality though? Depends on how efficient or well behaved the engine is

Thanks for the info Dartz. :D

Still having a hard time to decide which to get...so far i am leaning towards 15.4" UltraSharp™ Widescreen WSXGA+ (1680x1050) TFT Display with TrueLife™. but at the moment still waiting for a good offer on the upgrades. Anyone working in Dell or anyone that knows what going to come up for the special offers this week and next in Australia? :D [slim chance, but I gotta try...:p]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Somebal wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Dartz. :D

Still having a hard time to decide which to get...so far i am leaning towards 15.4" UltraSharp™ Widescreen WSXGA+ (1680x1050) TFT Display with TrueLife™. but at the moment still waiting for a good offer on the upgrades. Anyone working in Dell or anyone that knows what going to come up for the special offers this week and next in Australia? :D [slim chance, but I gotta try...:p]

This is an Irish site, you'll have better luck finding specific Dell vouchers/deals on an Australian website. But i'd expect to find fairly constant deals on the M1530 for the next few weeks, the system is expected to be discontinued shortly and replaced with the XPS 16.

• Advertisement

This is an Irish site, you'll have better luck finding specific Dell vouchers/deals on an Australian website. But i'd expect to find fairly constant deals on the M1530 for the next few weeks, the system is expected to be discontinued shortly and replaced with the XPS 16.

Oh... hahaha suggest I guess have strayed way off course :o
    XPS16...hope that will come out soon, before I leave for my house home country in a month.
    None the less, thank you for the education. If there is anything else, I am sure I will be asking here for the 1st reviews, questions and steep learning curve on the realm of laptops, desktops and technology paraphernalia. :D

Advertisement