Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Laptop and insurance

Options
  • 10-11-2008 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hi, i dropped my LAptop yesterday, the cover is warped and the screen is gone black in the botton left hand corner.It still starts up but the disc drive wont work as well as the screen getting darker.

Does any one have any dealings with PC World insurance plans?I have a 3 year warranty and i think i need a new laptop but dont want to spend weeks wrangling with the insurer.Any tips on dealing with them?

Also i have an ITunes library on the machine.Do i have to remove this or is is remotley stored?

By the way i am very new to computing. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Hi Kenitic

Sorry to hear about your laptop.

Warranty wont cover you for the damage, insurance might. Do you have incurance or an extended warranty?

The music on itunes in held on the disk.

Paddyo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Back up the iTunes catalog coz they won't give a toss what happened to your laptop.

Also PC World haven't got a great rep when it comes to warrenty work sometimes sitting on a machine for weeks to get you to go away, all you can do is bring it in and see. Hope others can give you more info on this as I have not had to personally deal with them on a machine malfunction but have had dealings with them on RAM , DVD drives etc and have had to strong arm them most of the time.

MC

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

kinetic wrote: »
    Does any one have any dealings with PC World insurance plans?I have a 3 year warranty and i think i need a new laptop but dont want to spend weeks wrangling with the insurer.Any tips on dealing with them?

Ring the number of the pcw coverplan people and explain the situation to them. I think they'll courier-collect the laptop for you, evaluate it and post out vouchers for you to spend in the stores.

I'm not 100% sure but I also think if you ask you can get a replacement laptop for the period in which you're stuck without a machine, though I'm not sure if this is covered under accidental damage...

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Thanks for the help.I purchased a 3 year insurance plan with the laptop, but on reading th epolicy they seem to have loads of get out clauses.

On the front of the policy it states that if your pc is damaged beyond repair there is a bring and exchange for new policy, but in the small print it states does not cover accidental damage.How else would you damage it beyond repair?Theres also a clause saying that if they cant fix it in 6 working weeks they will replace it.Long time with no laptop.
    Ill let ye know how i get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

Not too good.

I rang the PC World insurance line on monday morning,and they cant collect my laptop until thursday and it will take at least 15 working days to repair up to a maxium of 6 weeks.
    Its a long time when i use it for work and my last time paying the outrageous price for insurance.
    It seems to me that they dont want to help you out just hope you are stuck and go away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement