Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop freezes if left unactive

Options
  • 01-11-2008 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    my laptop has lately developed a problem where if i leave it alone for even 10 mins,
    it crashes and I am forced to push the power button until it turns off.
    this never happens if i am using it just if i leave it alone, for example to download programs.
    DO you have any ideas why this might be happening?
    is it virus related or more likely vista related?
    thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

there is a possibility that this only happens when it is connected to the internet via a network cable??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Hi,

Do you have a Dell laptop? The same thing happens mine. No fix - but I have been told that it isn't a virus. Its happens to a couple of work colleagues also. We haven't worked out the solution yet, but will let you know if we do!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭shalom

Hi,

I have a dell laptop bought in the last 8 months or less. An inspiron 1720 and the same thing happens to my computer. If you figure this out please please let me know. It drives me crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Do you have screensaver or hibernate mode after 10 min?

no i have nothing like that i have tested it every way at home and I have concluded that it only happens when my laptop is connected to the internet here in my student apartment vie an ethernet cable into the wall.

it happens even if i change the cable.

any ideas why this might be happenig?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Moved from Virus Removal as it doesn't appear to be malware related. Feel free to move back if I'm wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

oh god oh god,that sounds so familiar...

did you added extra RAM?take it out and try run the laptop.if the problem solves,then is the broken RAM slot - no fix best bet is other problem on mobo or else you will need a new one :( hope you are lucky OP

edit:after read ur first post again i think that might be the Ethenet port problem?same need a new one in that case

would that be the ethernet port at the wall or in the laptop?

No I didn't add RAM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

well no added ram mean you dont have the problem like mine :)

i was guessing might be your LAN port on laptop problem - did you try it on different place?bring to somewhere you can give it a try.btw is the wifi working?

freezing screen is mostly caused by overheat of the system,hope you dont have the fan dusted up:pac:try to run it with closing most of the unneeded softwares/scan disk/defrag/.or open it up give it a nice vacuum/alcohol rub.othervise,i am guessing it is an old laptop,time to say bye bye.

Update:

It only happens when I am using bittorrent and it is connected via the ethernet cable on my laptop,
    when I do the exact same with another laptop it works fine
    using bittorrent on my laptop and wireless also works fine,

any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭p2kone

unistall the dell support software.

i had problems with the dell support software freezing a inspiron 1720,
    unistalled the dell support software and it has been fine ever since.

Advertisement