Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tilt and turn better than casement windows?

Options
  • 07-10-2014 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

leanbh wrote: »

taken on its own, no that statement cannot be correct.

one company may be better than another, which is to be expected, but a blanket statement like that isnt true.

the only way to be sure is to ask to see the test certificates from whatever companies you are looking at, and ask for the tested 'whole window' u value

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

I'm trying to convince my father to replace his aluminium windows at the back with Tilt and Turn, not just because they are convenient but also because the family home is in countryside with a view out on to woodland so a tilt and turn window would be just like a picture frame framing a sylvanian view.

I'm trying to convince my father to replace his aluminium windows at the back with Tilt and Turn, not just because they are convenient but also because the family home is in countryside with a view out on to woodland so a tilt and turn window would be just like a picture frame framing a sylvanian view.

When closed, casement and tilt and turn Windows look exactly the same. ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

sydthebeat wrote: »

depends on the style. I thinking of the type you find in German houses which are huge and have a one big central pane.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Exactly and in this country unfortunately no matter how good the view outside the window they tend to be closed or only fractionally open 3/4 of the year. Best option is to have a preferred option picked yourself and check with the test certificates if there is much difference.

• Advertisement

depends on the style. I thinking of the type you find in German houses which are huge and have a one big central pane.

doesnt matter...

the opening mechanism, whether tilt and turn or casement, will be totally dependent on the weight/strength of frame, the ratio of width to height and the hinge strengths.

remember, tilt and turn are basically casement windows .... but just have an extra mechanism that allows an alternative restricted opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭leanbh

why do you need blinds for the tilt and turn and not the casement?

I bought new blinds last year for the existing old casement windows. I need a different type of blind for tilt and turn i think? No?

I suppose it depends on your blind type and the thickness of the window frame.
    You might have 50mm to pass if you have a standard rollerblind.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭gofasterdad

I got tilt & turn windows installed earlier this year. At the time of choosing a window style (casement or tilt & turn) I never even considered that blinds would be an issue, it just never occurred to me.

It turns out that a standard blind fitted within the window recess will not work with internally opening tilt&turn windows as the blind mechanism would stop the window from opening.

To get around this we had to fit a standard blind outside and slightly above the window recess (where a curtain rail would normally be located), it made only a very marginal difference to the price, but it's just something to consider as you may prefer the look of a window blind located inside the window recess. having the blind installed outside the recess will also make hanging curtains a little trickier. (haven't got around to that bit yet).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

by pm only thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

For somebody with cataracts, at sunset whilst wearing sunglasses perhaps…. but otherwise they look quite different. Viewed externally casements have narrower frames and wider sash framing. Tilt turns are the exact opposite. Casements will typically have stepped sashes (Stormproof) or sometimes flush (Scandinavian), Tilt/turn sashes are virtually always set back from the front of the frame.

Viewed internally its generally the opposite.

....the opening mechanism, whether tilt and turn or casement, will be totally dependent on the weight/strength of frame, the ratio of width to height and the hinge strengths.

Err no. Quite the opposite in fact. The weight and shape of a sash is dependent upon and therefore limited by the design of the hinging mechanism.

remember, tilt and turn are basically casement windows .... but just have an extra mechanism that allows an alternative restricted opening.

Basically.... tilt and turn are as different to casement windows as diesel engines are to petrol engines. As with the engines the end result – light transfer, limiting thermal transfer and controlled ventilation (in the case of windows) – is similar but the means to achieve it are quite different due to fundamentally different design principles

I got tilt & turn windows installed earlier this year. At the time of choosing a window style (casement or tilt & turn) I never even considered that blinds would be an issue, it just never occurred to me.

It turns out that a standard blind fitted within the window recess will not work with internally opening tilt&turn windows as the blind mechanism would stop the window from opening.

There are blinds readily available – both venetian and roller fabric - that can be fixed directly to the tilt and turn sash. Thin parallel guide wires running vertically up the sash stiles hold the blind in place when the sash is tilted in the ventilation position.

fatty pang wrote: »
    For somebody with cataracts, at sunset whilst wearing sunglasses perhaps…. but otherwise they look quite different. Viewed externally casements have narrower frames and wider sash framing. Tilt turns are the exact opposite. Casements will typically have stepped sashes (Stormproof) or sometimes flush (Scandinavian), Tilt/turn sashes are virtually always set back from the front of the frame.

Viewed internally its generally the opposite.

Methinks the lady doth protest to much ;)

The op was referring to the view being "framed" by the tilt and turn Window. My point is that the framing as viewed from internal will be no different whether rule and turn or casement. ... which it won't be. The only difference is depth at which the opening section enters the opening. ... which is immaterial to the framing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭gofasterdad

fatty pang wrote: »
    There are blinds readily available – both venetian and roller fabric - that can be fixed directly to the tilt and turn sash. Thin parallel guide wires running vertically up the sash stiles hold the blind in place when the sash is tilted in the ventilation position.

Thanks Fatty Pang, I think I saw something similar when I was shopping for blinds, however as I have a fixed panel and an opening section in each window, that would mean I would need 2 seperate blinds for each window which I would prefer to avoid. If you had smaller windows with no fixed panel (ie the entire window opened up) this might work.

I really wanted the total blockout blinds that claim that claim to block 100% of the light, but the price was astronomical so I had to go for a standard roller with black-out material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Thanks Fatty Pang, I think I saw something similar when I was shopping for blinds, however as I have a fixed panel and an opening section in each window, that would mean I would need 2 seperate blinds for each window which I would prefer to avoid. If you had smaller windows with no fixed panel (ie the entire window opened up) this might work.

I really wanted the total blockout blinds that claim that claim to block 100% of the light, but the price was astronomical so I had to go for a standard roller with black-out material.

I'm also looking at tilt and turn its a 2.7m window with a 900mm section opening on either end with the middle pane fixed. I was told there was no option for blinds on this window. Anyone have any ideas??

The cavity is 250mm and I'll be pushing the window out to the external block, I wonder would this give me enough room if I attached the blinds to the top of the inside leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

hexosan wrote: »
    I'm also looking at tilt and turn its a 2.7m window with a 900mm section opening on either end with the middle pane fixed. I was told there was no option for blinds on this window. Anyone have any ideas??

The cavity is 250mm and I'll be pushing the window out to the external block, I wonder would this give me enough room if I attached the blinds to the top of the inside leaf.

I've ordered inward opening windows so blinds will be in the way if hung on the inside, unless they are attached somehow to the actual window. Even then, they could be caught between the window and the internal reveals when opening.
    My wife also hates the idea of blinds on the window so its a dilemma.

Above each window, there is a gap between the inside and outside lintels (in my case 200mm). Lately I've been wondering if I could use some of this space as a home for a window blind.
    Create a recess, something like the attached. The red line is a custom cavity closer (marine ply).

The blind could only be used when the window is closed however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

I've ordered inward opening windows so blinds will be in the way if hung on the inside, unless they are attached somehow to the actual window. Even then, they could be caught between the window and the internal reveals when opening.
    My wife also hates the idea of blinds on the window so its a dilemma.

Above each window, there is a gap between the inside and outside lintels (in my case 200mm). Lately I've been wondering if I could use some of this space as a home for a window blind.
    Create a recess, something like the attached. The red line is a custom cavity closer (marine ply).

The blind could only be used when the window is closed however.

You'd effectly be reducing the insulation above each window. If it didn't create a cold bridge looks like a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

hexosan wrote: »
    You'd effectly be reducing the insulation above each window. If it didn't create a cold bridge looks like a good idea.

Assuming I took 70mm for the recess, 12mm ply, leaving 118mm PIR, that would probably be better than blown bead.

How much PIR would you need to eliminate the cold bridge.. I feel a calculation coming on, which roughly translated means I won't bother with the maths and just do what makes for a better home.

The ultimate reason I mightn't do this, is not because of cold-bridging but because that recess would be a fine home for spiders and the like. Plus it would be hard to finish off..can't see a plasterer wanting to skim that piece.

On a side note, twould be a nice recess for a strip light - you can bear that in mind when considering your lighting scheme ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ShawnaSanchez

I strongly believe that it depends totally upon the kind of house you are building. We installed casement windows from Landmark Home Solutions in Toronto in our house and I believe they look awesome. It blends well with the architecture which I believe is French with both the door opening. Regarding the financial aspect, I think there isn’t much of a difference, hence it totally depends on the architecture.

Advertisement