Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying but probably obvious problem!

Options
  • 21-09-2014 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've extended our UPC bb down to a shed in our garden via CAT5e cable,and have configured our old Zyxel Eircom P660 router as a wireless access point too.(gave eircom router the same name and security as UPC,put it in ethernet mode + disabled DHCP)

Laptop connects fine to it and speed is grand,but my phone wont connect and the status on it is constantly ''obtaining IP address''

Anyone able to tell me why this is and offer a solution to this problem?main reason I extended the wifi down there was to save on mobile data costs!

Probably a simple problem to sort,but am a complete newbie at this stuff!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

What provides DHCP for the network?

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Remove the saved details on phone, then connect again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Yeah that was the first thing I tried,still just says "obtaining IP address" on the phone and wont connect.

What model phone? What class wifi? G or N? Try forcing it go G only.

Its a Moto G.Spec site says it has 802.11 b/g/n.

How would I go about forcing it to connect to G only?

• Advertisement

It's a setting on the router, not on the phone. If the phone supports N then this should not be the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Again, what device (DHCP server) is set to assign IPs to the network?

Nate

The UPC router assigns IP's,Eircom one is just an access point.

I got the problem sorted anyway and the Wifi is working fine on all my devices now.I just factory re-set the old Eircom router and went through the config instructions again.

Cheers for the help anyway lads.

Advertisement