Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress permalinks and IIS v6

Options
  • 19-06-2009 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi All,

Am installing a website for a collegue - they had sorted Web hosting, domain name etc before I started.
    - 2003 Server, IIS v6, PHP v5, shared hosting. I have used Wordpress for most of the sites I have done in the past,
    particularily those requiring CMS - and I had intended on using WP for this site.

I cannot seem to get the Permalink structure I want working
    correctly, am stuck with the Wordpress default which is just plain ugly e.g. http://www.example.ie/?page_id=6
    and does nothign for SEO I would imagine.

Has anyone figured out how to get 'pretty permalinks' working on IIS6..I cannot install any 3rd party s/w
    on the shared server. I have googled this to death, many solutions involve the latter, or having to put
    up with '/index.php' forming part of the URL. Which is not ideal.

Any tips appreciated.

Also..any insights into likely problems I am going to come across with Wordpress / II6?
    I gather it's a match not quite made in heavan..should I advise them to switch to linux hosting - would require
    changing hosting companies completely unfortunately. It will be a medium sized eCommerce site, so the last thing I want
    is problems with it, particularily as the current hosting company have been pretty useless up to now.

Thanks for reading!
    Sue
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

As far as I know, you can't get the "really pretty" permalinks on IIS with Wordpress.
    The best you could get is www.domain.com/index.php/pretty-permalink/
    One of the websites I manage is running Wordpress on a Windows machine, and I had to settle for the index.php/whatever/ format. I think it's an issue with the mod_rewrite on Windows servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Suebee

Thanks, pretty much confirms what I had already suspected, the only option is to use the 'index.php' which for an ecommerce site isn't good enough, I mean - please click on www.example.com/index.php/contact for more info!!?

Am going to recommend they switch to another hosting company.
    Which won't be a bad thing at all.

It doesn't have to be with a different company - the key thing is to be on a Linux server. Rewrites work as intended on Linux.

Sadly the company in question dont offer a linux option - windows only..

Get in touch with your host and ask them whether it would be possible to install this filter or somethis similar:

http://www.7three.com/blog/computers/tips-tricks/pretty-wordpress-permalinks-iis-without-404-22/

• Advertisement

no go, they won't install any other '3rd party software on the shared server'. They have even gone as far to say that they are a hosting company.. not a design company. And all is working OK. Have had enough of them to be honest..

Advertisement