Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to limit access to 1 or 2 users

Options
  • 22-06-2009 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭

Im developing a start up site at the moment. Ive been developing it locally I want to bring it online soon so that one or two of my associates can start road testing it. I do not want it showing up in google or available/visible to the general public. Im also wary of getting hacked before it even goes live.

So is there a way to limit access to one or two specific ip addresses? Using a .htaccess file for example? And if this is possible will it completely protect me from being hacked?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Simply put this in the top level web dir and include the ip addresses of the people you want to grant access to.
    Order deny,allow
    allow from 1.2.3.4
    allow from 2.3.4.5
    deny from all

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Alternatively, if they wont be on the same machine each time, then try a different type of .htaccess which lets people login with a user/pass rather then based on IP.

Firstly.. create a .htpasswd file with a username and password (the password must be generated differently. See; http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/password/

Secondly.. create the .htaccess file;
    AuthUserFile /usr/local/you/safedir/.htpasswd
    AuthGroupFile /dev/null
    AuthName EnterPassword
    AuthType Basic

require user username

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

The username/password method would be the more suitable of the two even if the other users always login from the same machine - ISPs assign dynamic IPs, as far as I know, so it would be a real pain tracking their new and ever-changing addresses.

Advertisement