Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Money was no object...

Options
  • 29-11-2007 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

What laptop would you buy?

Starting Post-Doctoral Research position on Monday, will be ordering a new laptop. The research will be heavy computer based / programming etc, so plenty of ram and processing power. Ideally I would like the best graphics card possible, as it will probably be running vista, and I don't want any bottlenecks (+ might just play some games in spare time at home). My current laptop has a 17" monitor, and is fairly heavy. Ideally I would like a laptop that is reasonably light and portable (but will be used 95% of the time at a desk), and with a reasonable battery life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I'd loveto see one of these
    http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=E95B1DFE30AD4A9BB0EE824F476ADC57 It's $5000! The spec's are **** but the real value is in the after sales service if you look further down...!
    Also one of the Lenovo X Series tablet laptops would be quite good.
    Also you could go for the 'ol reliable Dell M1330 or 1530 which was just released but the 13" would probably suit your needs better.
    What do you have in mind yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

think youre contradicting yourself a little bit.

for starters you will hardly get even resonable battery life it has to be said if you get the best graphic cards on a high end laptop these days, almost certainly it would have to run from a mains.

so vista, and high spec and 17" screen+ = not very resonably battery life....!

having said that, i dont know what laptop you got, but a well specced out M1710 can handle anything thrown at it.

a 7950gtx is adequate for most jobs, 4 gigs or ram, a fast C2D processor.

unless you want a bemoth sli laptop.

with 30mins battery life......:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

my bad

seems like the op wants a portable lappie........

well as mentioned a well specced out m1330 is a wolf in sheeps clothing

spec the life out of it and it is a very very good machine. using one at the moment until it finds its new owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

i'd like something that strikes a good balance between portability and performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Get a vostro 1500, bump up the cpu, get 64bit vista and buy 4gigs of ram elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    i'd like something that strikes a good balance between portability and performance

For portability, relative power and battery life, I really can't see past the Dell M1330 at this moment in time. I can only imagine than anything more powerful in the same size package would have a hopeless battery life. Suits my needs for performance and portability perfectly, 6 cell battery lasts me nearly 4 hrs with pretty much constant use. You can also get a 9 cell

Advertisement