Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding M4 Toll Plaza

Options
  • 30-03-2015 12:07am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17

As a recent immigrant here in Ireland. I was driving from Athlone to Dublin on week days.
    And I found that the M4 Toll is very expensive. I asked a friend in Dublin if there was a way to avoid the toll as it was costing me an extra E 9.60 per day to travel.

He told me to exit the motorway at Killcock and rejoin at Kinnegad.

I found it to be an excellent way to go. It may take slightly longer but the difference is minimal. And I also like the opportunity to take a rest stop along the way.

For my situation it was the best way to go and saves allot of money that can buy spent elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

As a recent immigrant here in Ireland. I was driving from Athlone to Dublin on week days.
    And I found that the M6 Toll is very expensive. I asked a friend in Dublin if there was a way to avoid the toll as it was costing me an extra E 9.60 per day to travel.

He told me to exit the motorway at Killcock and rejoin at Kinnegad.

I found it to be an excellent way to go. It may take slightly longer but the difference is minimal. And I also like the opportunity to take a rest stop along the way.

For my situation it was the best way to go and saves allot of money that can buy spent elsewhere.

That's actually the M4 Toll plaza, the M6 toll is between Galway and Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, what type of vehicle are you driving? The toll for a car on the M4 is €2.90.

http://www.nra.ie/tolling-information/toll-charges/m4-kilcock-enfield-kinnegad/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Must be a van or 4*4.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

BTW, you can also get a prepayment card for 20 journies which gives 10% off.

http://www.eurolink-m4.ie/means_of_payment.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 The4thQuarter

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, what type of vehicle are you driving? The toll for a car on the M4 is €2.90.

I drive an Opel Combo van. Last time I used the road it was 4.80 per pass.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 The4thQuarter

That's actually the M4 Toll plaza, the M6 toll is between Galway and Athlone.

Sorry. Yes you are right. My mistake

I drive an Opel Combo van. Last time I used the road it was 4.80 per pass.

Should be €4.30 according to the websites...

http://www.eurolink-m4.ie/
    http://www.nra.ie/tolling-information/toll-charges/m4-kilcock-enfield-kinnegad/

I've done the old N4 route several times, it's pretty seamless rejoining the motorway when heading east, you simply merge with the M4 near Kilcock but at the Kinnegad end it's a PITA as you have to go all over the place to make the connection but at offpeak times it's certainly worth avoiding the tolls.

You have a choice as to whether to go through Enfield or take that little bypass they built about 25 years ago, it's the shape of a horseshoe. The main problem with that bypass is that midway along it is an intersection with the Edenderry road. The traffic lights at that junction are on a fixed cycle so if you arrive just as they're changing to red, they will go though the cycle and leave you waiting for what seems like an age even if there's no traffic on the other road. Meanwhile the truck that was ahead of you on the old N4 and which went straight through Enfield will probably have made it through the town ahead of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

With a small van if you go to an automatic lane , chuck your money in the bin and drive on you can pay the lower fee . No vat receipt though -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The old N4 between Kilcock and Kinnegad is hit and miss for me. If you get a clear road, it's nearly as quick as the M4, but any sort of tractor could change that very quickly, as there's no overtaking allowed for massive parts of the road. Oh, and the 80kmh limit overnight after the bypass opened because it's not a national road any more, despite it being very capable of 100+.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The old N4 between Kilcock and Kinnegad is hit and miss for me. If you get a clear road, it's nearly as quick as the M4, but any sort of tractor could change that very quickly, as there's no overtaking allowed for massive parts of the road.

Indeed, there's a reason why the motorway was built!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Indeed, there's a reason why the motorway was built!

Some could be cynical and say at €2.90 a pop it was built as a cash cow.

I too rarely use it, opting instead for the old road. What I find most irritating is the sequence of lights on the Enfield bypass are as bad for traffic flow as the lights in the village. It's almost as if they're trying to encourage everyone to use the motorway, while inconveniencing the locals.

n97 mini wrote: »
    ...... What I find most irritating is the sequence of lights on the Enfield bypass are as bad for traffic flow as the lights in the village. It's almost as if they're trying to encourage everyone to use the motorway, while inconveniencing the locals.

That set of lights on the Enfield bypass (where it intersects with the Edenderry road) has been a PITA from the day the bypass was opened, 20 years or more before the motorway was built. If it was demand driven with sensors embedded in the road instead of being on a fixed cycle, it would give far more priority to traffic bypassing the town and as a result would encourage everyone to bypass the town. Instead it's often a toss-up if one is better than the other so a lot of people still drive through the town. It's totally infuriating when you drive on the bypass, the lights change to red as you approach and you have to sit there while not a single vehicle drives through on the Edenderry road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Sounds like something Kildare County Council would do.

I usually drive through the town. If I'm going to be stopped at a red light I may as well have something to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

That set of lights on the Enfield bypass (where it intersects with the Edenderry road) has been a PITA from the day the bypass was opened, 20 years or more before the motorway was built.
    You have a choice as to whether to go through Enfield or take that little bypass they built about 25 years ago, it's the shape of a horseshoe.
    The motorway bypassing Enfield was opened in late 2005, the relief road with the traffic lights was opened in 2002 - so much more recent than stated above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I too rarely use it, opting instead for the old road. What I find most irritating is the sequence of lights on the Enfield bypass are as bad for traffic flow as the lights in the village. It's almost as if they're trying to encourage everyone to use the motorway, while inconveniencing the locals.

If "we" want motorways, that's unfortunately the price of them. That and the taxpayer subsidising the M3, the whitest and most dazzling of white elephants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

BrianD3 wrote: »
    The motorway bypassing Enfield was opened in late 2005, the relief road with the traffic lights was opened in 2002 - so much more recent than stated above.

Maybe so, but it certainly can be said said that there's zero incentive to rectify the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

I'd say it's to encourage cars though the village in the hope that they will stop at a shop / petrol station. There is rarely a delay in the village anymore. Good idea for the town in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

BrianD3 wrote: »

I was going to post something similar along with the fact that during the working week, it is much quicker to use the relief road to get by Enfield than to go through it. There are regularly tailbacks from the traffic lights up as far and sometimes past Supervalu. If I am on that side of town, I use the 'new road' (in existence since the dawn of time) to join the relief road rather than join the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

The old N4 between Kilcock and Kinnegad is hit and miss for me. If you get a clear road, it's nearly as quick as the M4, but any sort of tractor could change that very quickly, as there's no overtaking allowed for massive parts of the road. Oh, and the 80kmh limit overnight after the bypass opened because it's not a national road any more, despite it being very capable of 100+.
    The Kildare sections of the N4, were 80km/50mph long before the motorway was built. The Meath Sections were all 100km/50mph, again, before the motorway was built. The changes in speed limit, matched the county boundaries exactly.

I drove through Enfield yesterday (Easter Monday) on the old N4 travelling towards Dublin, I decided to skip the bypass. Traffic was relatively light as it was early afternoon. I got caught at the lights in the middle of the village where the traffic lights are on a fixed cycle just like the ones on the bypass where it intersects the Edenderry road which means that at off-peak times there is no incentive whatsoever to take the bypass. The lights changed just as I approached them coming from Kilcock, there was just one car in front of me at the lights which took an age to go through the cycle, including a long period when the lights were green for vehicles coming from Edenderry even though only two cars passed through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭GTE

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    I'd say it's to encourage cars though the village in the hope that they will stop at a shop / petrol station. There is rarely a delay in the village anymore.

Sadly, the statement in bold couldn't be further from the truth. The town is crippled with traffic from around 4pm until the rush hours end. For whatever reason; people are ignoring the bypass despite it having a quicker set of lights. The older bypass is quicker and locals have tried to get people to use it; as the relatively new sign posting at either roundabout show. "Local access only" and "All other routes".
    That set of lights on the Enfield bypass (where it intersects with the Edenderry road) has been a PITA from the day the bypass was opened, 20 years or more before the motorway was built. If it was demand driven. . .

I have driven though that junction for 7 years and I am certain that the sequence changes throughout the day, if not on demand.

In fact, there was pandemonium for around a week when the lights got stuck on long greens in favour of the old N4. In the mornings, traffic was backing up into Enfield and as far as the Johnstown House hotel junction, over the motorway bridge.

Also, the old bypass is not remotely as old as you think it is, see attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Really need to replace the lights on the R148 bypass to encourage others to use it.

Of course Eurolink would go apesh1t over it.

Personally i always go through the town if skipping the toll. As another poster said, if im stopping needlessly, i may have something to look at. Since the introduction of SV and Tesco to the cheapskate route, i have had occasion to pop in to top up the milk/break supplies :D Take THAT pointless toll road!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Markcheese wrote: »
    With a small van if you go to an automatic lane , chuck your money in the bin and drive on you can pay the lower fee . No vat receipt though -

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The toll for small vans is ridiculous, esp. if your van is taxed privately and not used in connection with any business. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The toll for small vans is ridiculous, esp. if your van is taxed privately and not used in connection with any business. :mad:

Had the company Connect once on the way to Dublin (going to IKEA) and had to pay a small fortune for it. Bastards.
    Especially galling if an Audi Q7 is ahead of me, which is only about twice as fcuking big and costs a good few pennies more and he pays the normal price.
    It's not even that much money on a once off trip, but it's the principle that counts. A car sized or MPV sized van should NOT pay more than a car of equal size. It's the typical anti small business attitude you will find here, unless you're a foreign multi-national, then you get away with paying 0.02% tax. And that probably gets given back to you three-fold as incentives.
    It's like "So you're running a business? Jaysus, you're rakin' it in, you can afford to pay a sh*teload of money so!"
    The Limerick tunnel even tried to charge me the van rate in my CMax once, because the rear windows are blacked out and the operator couldn't see my rear seats. Fat chance that was going to happen. In fairness that was a while ago and hasn't happened since.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Does the machine pick it up ? Or an attendant ?
    You could argue it out if you've private tax but it'd be a pain in hole every time - (equally galled watching q7 s ,discos and other d4 tractors going through as cars )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Does the machine pick it up ? Or an attendant ?
    You could argue it out if you've private tax but it'd be a pain in hole every time - (equally galled watching q7 s ,discos and other d4 tractors going through as cars )

The machine, kiosk was unmanned, must have numberplate recognition.

If your tax disc says private, you'l pay the cheap rate on tolls.

If you've got a small van, with private insurance and paying the comm motor tax rate, then you're saving more than the extra cost of the tolls.

I remember all the people complaining of paying comm rate on the M50, when it went barrier less, cos they couldn't pretend to be private and pay the cheaper rate at the unmanned gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭GTE

Really need to replace the lights on the R148 bypass to encourage others to use it.

Of course Eurolink would go apesh1t over it.

And what would you do about the Dublin bound Edenderry traffic which has risen in density since the new road opened?

I have a feeling that a lot of the rush hour drivers who go through Enfield do not realise just how long the green is on the bypass at that time. I can imagine people who go through outside of peak times could get frustrated at the near equal priority given on the bypass lights, but like I mentioned earlier, the sequence got stuck on N4 evening priority and caused chaos; so there is a demand based variation of priority.

I have family in the area and it is quicker for me to go from Supervalu to the old Top petrol station via the bypass, back into Enfield at the bypass lights and to the station. I tested this against a bus that just left the bus stop. It hardly had gotten to the old Topaz station. The tailback can be as far as the GAA.

Had the company Connect once on the way to Dublin (going to IKEA) and had to pay a small fortune for it. Bastards.
    Especially galling if an Audi Q7 is ahead of me, which is only about twice as fcuking big and costs a good few pennies more and he pays the normal price.
    It's not even that much money on a once off trip, but it's the principle that counts. A car sized or MPV sized van should NOT pay more than a car of equal size. It's the typical anti small business attitude you will find here, unless you're a foreign multi-national, then you get away with paying 0.02% tax. And that probably gets given back to you three-fold as incentives.
    It's like "So you're running a business? Jaysus, you're rakin' it in, you can afford to pay a sh*teload of money so!"

Tolls are a business expense, which can be written off against tax, same as they can write off fuel, maintenance, etc, for the van.

You're driving a van, with a motor tax bill of 330 odd euro, and complaining that a car with a tax bill of 700 euro for a 2l, is paying 1.40 euro at the M4 toll less than you. Technically, you were using the company van for social purposes, so I do hope you informed the insurance company, and as it was social purpose, the van wasn't covered by it's commercial designation for motor tax.

You cannot have your cake and eat it.

• Advertisement

Bogger77 wrote: »
    If your tax disc says private, you'l pay the cheap rate on tolls.

It IS privately taxed, and sometimes the gates charge the car rate and sometimes it doesn't depending where it is.

Also, the testing fee for small vans is more than a car. It's not all sunshine and lollipops.

Advertisement