Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best route to St Vincent's Hospital from M50?

Options
  • 24-03-2015 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

I'll be travelling up the M9/7 to Dublin at the weekend to go to St Vincent's Hospital. Can anyone recommend which exit to take on the M50 to get there the quickest? Obviously passing straight through Red Cow would be shortest, but given the traffic it would also be slowest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'd come straight in the N7 as far as the Grand Canal, then up the canal to Leeson St. bridge, briefly continue along the canal and turn right into Sussex Road which is the the next right after the bridge (you can't turn right at the bridge straight onto Leeson St southbound), then straight down to Donnybrook, out the N11, go left at RTE and St. Vincents is at the other end of Nutley Lane.

That route will avoid the weekend shopping hotspots but probably wouldn't be advised at rush hour Mon-Fri.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

An alternative is to take the M 50 to Junction 14 and go through the first roundabout at the top of the ramp. Head down to the next roundabout (The one with the Luas bridge over it.) and take exit two (It's marked Stillorgan/Dun Laoghaire.) and follow the road till you come to traffic lights at the dual carriage way, this is the N 11.

Take a left here and head towards town until you see RTE on the right. Take a right at the lights and the hospital will be on the right at the end of Nutley Lane. The hospital car park can fill up but you can park in the Tesco car park beside the hospital for free once you aren't there all day.

Bear in mind that there is an international in the Aviva on Sunday so this will add considerably to traffic, especially around Dublin 4.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

coylemj wrote: »
    I'd come straight in the N7 as far as the Grand Canal, then up the canal to Leeson St. bridge, briefly continue along the canal and turn right into Sussex Road which is the the next right after the bridge (you can't turn right at the bridge straight onto Leeson St southbound), then straight down to Donnybrook, out the N11, go left at RTE and St. Vincents is at the other end of Nutley Lane.

That route will avoid the weekend shopping hotspots but probably wouldn't be advised at rush hour Mon-Fri.

It's unlikely to be faster even at weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

L1011 wrote: »
    It's unlikely to be faster even at weekends

Well if the canal is no better at weekends then the M50 is hardly going to be better either. The route via the M50, the Stillorgan exit and Brewery Road will add 10 kms to the trip and if the OP isn't used to the manic lane weaving and general anarchy that passes for driving on the M50, I'd frankly advise him to go up the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

coylemj wrote: »
    Well if the canal is no better at weekends then the M50 is hardly going to be better either. The route via the M50, the Stillorgan exit and Brewery Road will add 10 kms to the trip and if the OP isn't used to the manic lane weaving and general anarchy that passes for driving on the M50, I'd frankly advise him to go up the canal.

I suggested the M50 and N 11 simply because although a bit longer I felt it's a simpler route to follow for somebody unfamiliar with Dublin. Via the canal is grand if a tad slow though I wouldn't chance it mid week and especially at rush hour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I suggested the M50 and N 11 simply because although a bit longer I felt it's a simpler route to follow for somebody unfamiliar with Dublin. Via the canal is grand if a tad slow though I wouldn't chance it mid week and especially at rush hour.

A tad slow is right. I'd go further and call going via the canal in either direction losing the will to live territory. Avoid at all costs.

Advertisement