Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC world rants - post yours?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 neveroddoreven

Well thanks for all the replies! I can't say I'm a buff when it comes to laptops or computers hence I'm blind to a lot of what has been mentioned. Funnily enough though I did manage to get a blank stare when I enquired about the Windows 2007 edition. I didn't want Vista but wanted Windows 2007 word, excel etc ( I have XP currently). I was told this wasn't possible?!

Maybe I worded that wrong but my Dad then told me it was indeed possible, I just need to pay 150 for the software and no need to get vista. Hmmm.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Well thanks for all the replies! I can't say I'm a buff when it comes to laptops or computers hence I'm blind to a lot of what has been mentioned. Funnily enough though I did manage to get a blank stare when I enquired about the Windows 2007 edition. I didn't want Vista but wanted Windows 2007 word, excel etc ( I have XP currently). I was told this wasn't possible?!

Maybe I worded that wrong but my Dad then told me it was indeed possible, I just need to pay 150 for the software and no need to get vista. Hmmm.

You're thinking of office 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

You're thinking of office 2007.

Yup. €149 is the Student/Teacher edition price.
    HavoK wrote: »
    PC World is 'good' if you don't know anything about computers. And when I say good, I mean consistently terrible, but to someone who hasn't a clue, they just assume PC World are the experts. It pains me to type that.

Notice how everyone here buys online. Stores like PC World are for the average user who doesn't know anything about computers bar the basics used in everyday life.

I'll use PC world for peripherals (prices for these can be decent enough at times) and if I need something urgently, within reason. Otherwise for hardware online will always be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

humbert wrote: »

After looking at it from every conceivable angle , occasionally stopping to give be the most unctuous smile, he spots a mac sticker on the box and even though the product is made by fucking Microsoft, and has Microsoft written all over it, attempts to convince me on the grounds of this mac sticker that it's a mac product and wont work on windows.

does that mean that the microsoft mouse i have been quite happly using for the last month on my windows laptop will just suddenly stop

:rolleyes:

did venture into PC world bout month ago to buy said mouse, went to a checkout with only one person in front of me, was redirected to the service desk by another member of staff were i was told could pay, only to stand there for a few minutes with no one to take my payment, thinking why the fcuk have i been sent here, and guy on original checkout probably thinking the same thing, ended up going back to him to pay, having a laugh with him, he was actually the most approachable member of staff i had ever encountered in PC world, most are just useless

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

irish-stew wrote: »
    does that mean that the microsoft mouse i have been quite happly using for the last month on my windows laptop will just suddenly stop

:rolleyes:

Funny you should mention that. After years of buying cheap wirelesss keyboards/mice from the likes of Lidl and Aldi, I assumed that the more expensive Microsoft ones would last the distance. The first mouse lasted eight months. I took the set back to Argos and swapped it for an identical one, thinking that lightning wouldn't strike twice etc... That mouse died two weeks later. I'm now trying out Belkin's effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I find the staff in Peats pretty good... they seem to be one of the few places to hire people who have a clue... and at least if they don't know the answer, they'll tell you as much, instead of making up some bullshít... it's just a pity their prices are a tad steep. :/

I have to second this, I've bought some stuff(mostly audio) from Peat's on Parnell St. and they were very helpful and seemed to actually know what they were talking about. I also wanted to change something simply because I found out that a slightly different model would be more suitable and there was no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I would never buy a machine in Pc world ,BUT.

I've bought a few things in there a while back and brought them back with no problems. Seriously easy to take stuff back ,that doesn't work because of driver issues.
    The last time I was there ,I got to try three sound cards until I finally got one that worked. Plus I ended up only paying 49 euro for the Xmod that I got:D

But to be honest ,they don't have a clue . I've often contemplated swapping the price boards at the pc's and asking someone about the machines then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

PC World !:D

Hj

Advertisement