Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THEATRICAL MAKE UP FOR TEENAGER

Options
  • 09-12-2014 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Hi, My 13 year old is looking for some Ben Nye make up for c.mas.
    Stuff like master bruise, modeling compound, scar wax, sponges etc.
    I have seen the Ben Nye professional set, which has loads of bits in it, but it seems to be only available in the USA for USD135. This is her big c.mas present, so we dont mind spending this kind of money. She could spend hours in the bathroom, experiementing, and could come out like a nuclear bomb victim....and that is using loo paper, fake blood, and a great imagination. I have been told that you can get some bits in party shops etc...but she is quite certain what she wants. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, My 13 year old is looking for some Ben Nye make up for c.mas.
    Stuff like master bruise, modeling compound, scar wax, sponges etc.
    I have seen the Ben Nye professional set, which has loads of bits in it, but it seems to be only available in the USA for USD135. This is her big c.mas present, so we dont mind spending this kind of money. She could spend hours in the bathroom, experiementing, and could come out like a nuclear bomb victim....and that is using loo paper, fake blood, and a great imagination. I have been told that you can get some bits in party shops etc...but she is quite certain what she wants. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

Please don't buy stuff from a party shop. For special effects/theatre makeup it’s best to stick to makeup sold for use on stage, as it’s much more reliable than off-brands. Ben Nye, Mehron, and Kryolan are all high-quality brands. Cinema Secrets is another good brand for adhesives and more fx focused make-up. Both Cinema Secrets and Kryolan can be found on amazon.co.uk or other UK based online stores. DO NOT use makeup kits sold for Halloween or costume use, even if it carries a better brand name; they are poor quality (not the brand’s usual line), and usually contain toxic substances.

I'd rec setting a budget of the amount you want to spend for her Xmas pressie then google 'cosplay make-up kit' or similar and you'll get some forums with people listing the basics needed for a good make-up kit needed for doing theatrical make-up. Or check some of the tutorials on youtube as they often list all the products they use in the comments section. Consider getting her some good quality make-up brushes and/or glue sticks. There are some things you can do cheap (like burnt skin effects with tissue paper) but good make-up brushes and adhesives are worth their weight in gold. She could damage her skin using cheap glues.

Advertisement