Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway United FC for 2014?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Antoobrien, you don't care about soccer in Galway. That's fine. But others do care. Let's not lose sight of that.

I'm not losing sight of it at all, I'm just attempting to put some perspective on the, well frankly, obscene amount of coverage that a failed organisation is getting, especially given the previous attendances of matches.
    From a financial perspective, a professional or semi professional football club will create employment and attract visitors to Galway. That's why locally based companies have sponsored Galway United in the past (Radisson, Thermo King, Specsavers, Aer Arann and Supermac's spring to mind).

Ah come on your really digging to the bottom of the bucket there with "attract visitors to Galway". Attendances of less than 1,000 really gives lie to that.

As for sponsorship, it's viewed as cheap advertising. Anyone flicking through the sentiel will see the Heaslip Cuddy logo on the sahltill devon womens team photo. The money Supermacs puts into Galway GAA buys them more advertising through photos of players and management than any mount of media advertising can buy.
    Many local politicians from various backgrounds were regulars at games. Michael D, Padraig Connelly, Billy Cameron, Nial McNeilus, Frank Fahy, etc (I've probably just discredited my points :0) )

It's okay I'll assume you're talking about the FG frank.:D
    Sleephead wrote: »
    Just casually reading this....I'm amazed at how insecure and threatened GAA heads seem to be about Soccer!

To be frank about it, the reaction of the soccer fans here makes for entertaining reading for anyone that doesn't have an interest in soccer and even some of those that do but have no love for (more so if they loathe) Galway utd. The snipes from certain posters shows where the real insecurity lies and it ain't with GAA (if I were that insecure I'd start telling you how many U6s regulalry show up to training in the two big city hurling clubs).

I'm going to make bens day now and leave you alone, but not without some predictions.

If they go ahead, Galway (Utd) FC will have an initial (curiosity) interest. There'll be somewhere between 2,000 & 5,000 through the gates for the first few matches, but after that it will fall off. Given the current following of the Galway clubs and previous following of Galway Utd, I'll be very surprised if the average attendance for the last 5 games is above 1,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

All the best to GUFC but let's take it to Soccer forum. The forum has restricted access and is mainly used by fans. The discussion there will focus more on the soccer and less on side issues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement