Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera situation

Options
  • 06-04-2008 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

I'm a bit worried, I got flashed this evening by a speed camera near the Tallaght exit, think the speed is 60KM, I was prob doin 70KM. So obviously I'm expecting to be done for that but I'm just wondering, I've been hearing all this "just say you never received the notice and you'll get away with it". Have they not copped on to this? And then if I do go to court what happens?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

jimmay, sometimes they dont have film in them but flash anyway. Just in Jan i got flashed there ( i take it You were going northbound on M50 between Tallaght and Ballymount exits) and still have not got anything so just might ot have film in it to record. Also same thing happened in the same week coming southbound on M1 and still nothing! Touch wood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Flashing is one thing, but it depends if there is film in it. Dont panic, just wait and see. Were you driving yourself ? If a foreign visitor was driving while you were in the passenger seat, they would have to take the rap. Thats if you do get something in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

jamegg wrote: »
    jimmay, sometimes they dont have film in them but flash anyway. Just in Jan i got flashed there ( i take it You were going northbound on M50 between Tallaght and Ballymount exits) and still have not got anything so just might ot have film in it to record. Also same thing happened in the same week coming southbound on M1 and still nothing! Touch wood

You are really pushing your luck !!

You are really pushing your luck !!

I know! I moved to Derry that week so was up and back and i couldnt believe it, im blessed the dont seem to have had anything in them, that said its not unheard of of the notice taking 2-3 months to arrive:eek:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Get a UK licence if you are in Derry! Points here not eligible for points there. However, an RoI licence is not eligible for points up there!

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »
    Get a UK licence if you are in Derry! Points here not eligible for points there. However, an RoI licence is not eligible for points up there!

Im in the process of doing that! i only have two more strikes on my ROI licence so need to get the UK one! have both on me at all times and give the licence suited to the country im not in :D Like getting a few more lives it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

Good: Possibly no film
    Bad: Possible film, waiting a few months!

I was driving alright and I don't have any foreign friends at my disposal so that one's out.

If I declare in court I didn't receive the notice, does the judge throw it out or am I still likely to have to face penalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

The points system will be integrated between irl and UK so there is no point in getting the Uk license really. You will still get the points after this system comes in.

I live around by Dublin 16 area and travel the M50 2 or 3 times a week. I've never been flashed as the camera is pretty obvious but I have my satnav beeping me when i approach the cameras anyways. I reckon those new m50 cameras are just empty box's with a flash in them to scare people.

Judge wont believe you if you say you never recieved the summons, he will just give you 4 points and send you on your bike. Few articles about this in the paper last summer.

Well I don't normally travel that end, I live in Raheny and I know the boxes on the Northside of the M50 defo don't work but I've never seen them flash before, that's why I'm sweatin about this one by Tallaght.
    mondeo wrote: »
    Judge wont believe you if you say you never recieved the summons, he will just give you 4 points and send you on your bike. Few articles about this in the paper last summer.

That's what I'm trying to find out. I remember reading an article stating thousands of notices had been scrapped due to people denying received them. If it's not reg. post how can they prove this?

At the beginning of the points system this was a common loop hole to deny you recieved the summons but it does not work anymore because the courts are sick of people lying pretending they did not recieve anything when they knew well they did recieve them.
    The only real circumstances a judge would let you away with it would be for example if you had a sick child in the car and needed to get them to a hospital or somthing serious like that. Of course you would need some sort of proof before they would accept it.
    Last summer I went through alot of crap trying to wiggle my way out of a speed fine, I claimed the garda mis used his speed gun/incompetance etc. I ended up biting the bullit and paying the fine at the last minute. Dont sweat over the flash as theres a 50% chance the camera had no film loaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Thats pure nonsense , the state of the postal system over here. It not sent registered for a start and a number of mobile phone offenses were struck out in galway recently because of this...and that judge Mary Fahy is a bitch!!!so theres a chance.

Thats pure nonsense , the state of the postal system over here. It not sent registered for a start and a number of mobile phone offenses were struck out in galway recently because of this...and that judge Mary Fahy is a bitch!!!so theres a chance.

The courts systems in Dublin were not having any nonsense from people during 2007' with the I did not recieve a summons excuse. I would use this excuse if I knew it would work and so would everyone else. Unless we are all honest johns which we are not. You are most certainly correct about the state of our postal services here.
    It's a tricky one to pursue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

The courts systems in Dublin were not having any nonsense from people during 2007' with the I did not recieve a summons excuse. I would use this excuse if I knew it would work and so would everyone else. Unless we are all honest johns which we are not. You are most certainly correct about the state of our postal services here.
    It's a tricky one to pursue.

Unless they send it registered there's a case to be contested, a good solicitor will fight this.

Not looking at getting solicitors involved.

So basicaly it seems if your prepared to stand up in court and say you never received notice then they have no proof.

That still leaves me to the question, if I deny receiving the notice would the charge still be upheld?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Depends on the judge, most of them won't accept someone just saying that these days - particularly if its just the defendant. They seem to like seeing lawyers, old brethern being kept in business basically... and hiring a lawyer isn't going to be cheaper than 80 euros or likely worth it for the 2 points!

If you could prove you'd not received other post it would have more chance of being accepted by the judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 honky21

That camera flashed me in January and i was doing about 110, havent heard anyting so i take it im ok:D....its a ridiculous speed limit for the busiest road in the country anyway, I was bulling when it flashed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

honky21 wrote: »
    That camera flashed me in January and i was doing about 110, havent heard anyting so i take it im ok:D....its a ridiculous speed limit for the busiest road in the country anyway, I was bulling when it flashed!!

took me 5 months to get my notice when i got done so i wouldnt say your ok just yet

the speed limit is there to protect the workers building the new lanes is it not?

Has anyone actually been in court and said they never received their notice? I'm just wondering if the judge (whether he believes them or not) says ok you didn't receive your notice before, now here's your notice I'm giving you and pay up or else!?

I mean if that's the case I'd as well just pay without the hassle of going in and looking at his silly wig!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

jamegg wrote: »
    i only have two more strikes on my ROI licence so need to get the UK one! have both on me at all times and give the licence suited to the country im not in :D Like getting a few more lives it is!

Sounds like you view points as a badge of honour. As you are a persistant offender I HOPE you get put off the road really soon! I imagine you will be clocking up points on your UK licence soon anyway from the tone of your posts. SLOW DOWN, obey the speed limits and you wont have a problem :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

jimmay wrote: »
    Has anyone actually been in court and said they never received their notice? I'm just wondering if the judge (whether he believes them or not) says ok you didn't receive your notice before, now here's your notice I'm giving you and pay up or else!?

I mean if that's the case I'd as well just pay without the hassle of going in and looking at his silly wig!

it wont work, you'll simply get a bigger fine and 4 points instead of 80euro and 2 points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

They are in the process of intergrating the points systems for all of europe, not just the UK and Ireland.

Also a mate of mine got stopped a few months back for speeding, he is from Walse so he had his UK licence, garda told him that the points are now kept on a database, so when you eventually change over your licence or they link up the systems, some people could be in for a world of hassel.

Advertisement