Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gay apps popular in Ireand

Options
  • 19-09-2015 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I live in a small town in the middle of the country and so it is difficult to meet gay people. I registered for grindr and there are tons of people nearby (who knew ...) anyway, it is mostly for hook ups and I am not into that. I wish to find friends without any agenda.

I am humble, but it seems I am attractive as I take care of myself, so I am horrified by messages I get on grindr and it is quiet difficult to filter who is nice and who is not.

Is there another app or website that is popular in Ireland? I know there are many apps but usually nobody nearby ..

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭mattP

I think grindr is a huge heap of ****e too :p I joined and just said in my profile that im only there to meet other guys and make friends. After about a week I had a hanful of sound lads my age (17 - so shouldn't have been on it anyway ðŸ˜), gave em my snapchat and deleted grindr. From those guys I've met about two or three others, so I'd say if you find a nice guy just keep in with him and you'll start to pick up friends (or more if thats what you want) along the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Grey Wind

Tinder is probably your best bet for friends, there's less of a focus on hooking up and it's not anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Tinder and grindr are the only gay apps with a large number of irish users from what I can see

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Yep, +1 for Grindr.

I find if you state in your profile that you're not after NSA/hookups then those seeking that'll stay away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Niemoj wrote: »
    Yep, +1 for Grindr.

I find if you state in your profile that you're not after NSA/hookups then those seeking that'll stay away.

I remember a year or so ago, I would have cursed grindr for its sleaziness. It is what it is, but it's easy to pigeonhole too. I don't think tinder is much different. But I recently downloaded it after moving back to Ireland and I've had some nice chats. Obviously you get the odd nutjob or catfish, but it takes a while to meet that (those) nice guy(s)
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

I remember a year or so ago, I would have cursed grindr for its sleaziness. It is what it is, but it's easy to pigeonhole too. I don't think tinder is much different. But I recently downloaded it after moving back to Ireland and I've had some nice chats. Obviously you get the odd nutjob or catfish, but it takes a while to meet that (those) nice guy(s)
    ;)

Oh definitely. I myself have had a bit of a nutter in an eircom van come after me!:pac:

But that's a different story, for me and my therapist in a few years time haha.

Ya have to take the bad with the good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Stating that you're not looking for hook-ups/NSA will keep the majority of those who are looking for that away, but a few odd nutjobs will still message you and waste your time. Usually if they don't have a face pic for their profile picture, they are a time waster, or at least that's been my experience of it.

I used Grindr and I found myself a boyfriend on it and we are still together almost 20 months on. I looked at his profile picture and thought that he was gorgeous and wayyy out of my league, but I took a chance and messaged him (fully expecting to be blocked instantly), we ended up getting on like a house on fire immediately and still do to this day.

There are positives and negatives to all forms of dating, it just all depends on how committed you are to persevere through the bad to get to the good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I like Scruff and Growlr. Gaydar is alright, hit and miss but definitely not as bad as Grindr. I was never much of a 'type' for Grindr anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Iopu

Tinder is good for filtering out guys your not into. But unfortunately with these apps getting messages off faceless accounts and guys 20 years older than your preferance is very common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Flaw in the matrix: bot numbers showing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Flaw in the matrix: bot numbers showing.

You've lost me

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement