Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woodworking machinery

• 20-04-2014 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Guys im looking to cut timber logs with a bandsaw,not sure what power i need to do this,i dont have access to 3 ph machinery,would a 220v bandsaw cut a log and if so does it need to be a certain hp?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Probably - but it might depend on what timber you're cutting and how big of a log it is, as well as the blade on the bandsaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Costykris wrote: »
    Guys im looking to cut timber logs with a bandsaw,not sure what power i need to do this,i dont have access to 3 ph machinery,would a 220v bandsaw cut a log and if so does it need to be a certain hp?

Why do you want to do it with a bandsaw? That is not the ideal tool for the job and they are expensive. Why not just buy yourself a two-stroke petrol chainsaw and make up a log trestle? That will allow you to cut the logs to usable lengths and then cut them down to whatever individual log lengths on the trestle to what you require for your fire.

A few years ago I bought a steel log trestle from a builders providers for €50. It has a clamp mechanism for holding a chainsaw that I also bought for €130. I first cut the logs to manageable lengths, then put them in the trestle and cut them to fire-sized pieces. Total cost €180 -- cheaper than a band saw and much easier and more versatile in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Costykris

Sorry mate i didnt say what i wanted to cuts logs for,to make timber mantles out of the so chainsaw wouldnt work for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

depending on the size of the logs would an alaskan mill not be a better idea?

monkeynuz wrote: »
    depending on the size of the logs would an alaskan mill not be a better idea?

Not sure mate,would i be better off letting a sawmill cut them for me?

• Advertisement

Possibly yes, although do you know of a sawmill in your area, an alaskan mill can be a cost effective way doing it in the long run, depending on size of log a sawmill will probably charge minimum €20 per time?

Whereabouts are you?

Possibly yes, although do you know of a sawmill in your area, an alaskan mill can be a cost effective way doing it in the long run, depending on size of log a sawmill will probably charge minimum €20 per time?

Whereabouts are you?

Balbriggan

Nowhere near me unfortunately or I could have put you in touch with at least 3 different places to get the stuff sawn, and many more with alaskan type mills.

Nowhere near me unfortunately or I could have put you in touch with at least 3 different places to get the stuff sawn, and many more with alaskan type mills.

You get the logs cut in the mill?

I had an oak tree sawn at a sawmill locally.

An Alaskan mill is a contraption that holds a chainsaw steady and acts like a big bandsaw ish.

Google them.

• Advertisement

I had an oak tree sawn at a sawmill locally.

An Alaskan mill is a contraption that holds a chainsaw steady and acts like a big bandsaw ish.

Google them.
    How much a oak log cost ye if ye dont mind me asking?

It was my own tree that I cut down and trailered to the mill five miles away it was about four feet diameter. Your best bet is to get friendly with local tree surgeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 banjoman22

Might be too far but i'm in Mullingar and have a setup for planking logs

Advertisement