Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best way of removing a wasps nest

• 08-06-2005 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

I opened the shed this morning and discovered I've a few new tenants! :( I've a wasps nest in the shed. It's about the size of a tennis ball so I asume there can't be too many of the buggers in it yet. Whats the best way to get rid of it without agitating them to much? When would they be at their least active etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Dingatron wrote:
    I opened the shed this morning and discovered I've a few new tenants! :( I've a wasps nest in the shed. It's about the size of a tennis ball so I asume there can't be too many of the buggers in it yet. Whats the best way to get rid of it without agitating them to much? When would they be at their least active etc?

A military style flame thrower, burn them all to a crisp before they spread and start a reign of terror*

*Not intended as genuine advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

True to your sig! This isn't BF1942 you know. ;) I don't want to blow up the lawnmower and shed although that could be a blessing in disguise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

The way I have done it in the past, is to make sure there are not too many wasps outside/near the nest, then get a Jam Jar or something similar, push the jam jar against the nest so that the nest goes inside it, if you get me, the nest shouldn't be that secure to the roof/shed so a bit of a jiggle and the nest should fall into the jar, then secure the lid and hey presto a nest in a jar, its then up to you how you deal with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Put several jars full of coke on the floor, then beat the nest to the ground. Keep the place locked down for a few days.

Tried this one time, So many dead wasps you couldnt see the liquid inside the jar

Good thinking thanks for that jonnybadd. I could put it on ebay maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 WebDesignCork

Hi found one last weekend in my shed! also the size of a tennis ball
    I hit it with a stick and ran like hell. Only a few of the little feckers were around so I killed them with my hurley!!!!

John ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

This is weird, just last week there was one in my shed, a grey one slightly bigger than a tennis ball. My dad bought some foam stuff in atlantic homecare and it just melted away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Redrocket

we had a nice nest inside a cavity wall so i dont know how big it was,
    i put a ladder against the wall and tied a hoover to it leaving it sucking any wasps from the entrance/exit into the hoover. after a while they kinda wised up to the fact that their fellow workmates were going missing and stopped coming out. i stuck a long rod into the wall and broke up the nest a little inside, drove them crazy. anyhow came back an hour or two later turned off the hoover and let them all die inside.
    heh i was 11 at the time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Glipmac

I would advise against what my farther did, we had quite a large wasps nest at the bottom of the garden and my father thought it would be a good idea to poke it with a broom (spot the problem) our garden was about 25-30ft long, i have never till this day seen my father run as fast as he did that day... in the end we called an exterminatior and got rid of them that way, the guy said it was a good thing no one touched it or did anything (oops...)

i would say it is best to call an exterminator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

A spray can of anti bug spary will do the trick if it is not bigger than a foot ball. Just spray the nest. SOme are designed to be sprayed right into the nest. if there is a lot flying about soapy water will stop them flying . Spray it on finely using a hand pump presure spray. THe soap sticks them together and their wings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Stevenk, my mate the the same thing to get rid of a nest in his garden shed. Put a hoover up to the nest entrance and left it there for an hour until he could see no more coming out. Then he (very, very, very carefully) took the hoover bag out and put it in the microwave for about 10 minutes.
    Said taking the bag out of the hoover was pretty scary.

Repli wrote:
    This is weird, just last week there was one in my shed, a grey one slightly bigger than a tennis ball. My dad bought some foam stuff in atlantic homecare and it just melted away.

Hi Repli. Do you know what the name of that foam stuff is? Sounds like the easiest way. Thanks for the advise guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

We had a nest inside the fascia years ago.
    My mam called the fire brigade, and they told her to get one of those vapona things, like a flat board the size of an envelope.
    We stuck that up behind the fascia, near the nest, and voila, killed them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Redrocket

instead of microwaving the bag, i lit a fire and burned some "smokey stuff" ( stuff that makes a lot of smoke ) and hoovered that up.
    id say that if you just put some tape over the entrance to the hoover and left it for a day or two they would all die. this was a big nest, i mean big.

when i first found out about the nest, i thought id be smart and put some mortor over the entrance to the nest hopefully blocking them all in. came back an hour later and the inside of the 25ft by 12ft shed was BLACK with wasps. my father got a sledge hammer and broke a new entrance so they cuold get back in. next day, i got the hoover :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Get some of that crack filler foam that expands. Stick it in and spray it quickly, rips the nest right open after a few minutes. Should do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭GraphicGaming

just today i went to cut the grass and i noticed a wasp busy building a nest on the shed roof so i went to woodies diy store and bought a can of NIPPON fly and wasp killer and a can of Rentokil wasp nest detroyer foam 8 euro each i also bought 1 can of expanding foam.

so i opened the door and sprayed the NIPPON then closed the door and left it to do its work for about 30 mins i did this 3 times.

Then i went in fully loaded with the Rentokil wasp nest destroyer foam and sprayed the nest which dissolved and fell from the roof leaving behind about 30 dead wasps.

I then used my expanding foam to fill any hole i could find and hopefully they wont return. I will post back in a few weeks if my shed is still clear otherwise i will repeat this process as it was quite fun.

anyways hope this has helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

This is a 9 year old thread. I'm closing it now, you can open a new one you want to discuss this. Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement