Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting steel 'farm' gate into wooden decorative gate

Options
  • 31-05-2014 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I've got one of those normal agricultural gates, such as images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShVC_GDn5BZorL2afB4L9Dp-GIVVq2ySfSetV-RYexqeS0c04M
    and want to convert it into something decorative and private. I was looking in images for something like what I'm looking for and this is what I think would look well, even if it wasn't arch shaped.
    cut%20top%20garden.jpeg
    Any ideas as to the easiest way around to doing this? I'm not the best myself at DIY but I'm willing to give it a go!

Thanks in advance,
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

d1234 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I've got one of those normal agricultural gates, such as images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShVC_GDn5BZorL2afB4L9Dp-GIVVq2ySfSetV-RYexqeS0c04M
    and want to convert it into something decorative and private. I was looking in images for something like what I'm looking for and this is what I think would look well, even if it wasn't arch shaped.
    cut%20top%20garden.jpeg
    Any ideas as to the easiest way around to doing this? I'm not the best myself at DIY but I'm willing to give it a go!

Thanks in advance,
    D

Hi op, my advice would be for you to screw or bolt 2 3x2 along the top and bottom rail of the farm gate, and then simply nail on the uprights onto them.

Bear in mind you are adding a lot of additional weight to the gate so you need to make sure your pillar is up to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

I'd say there is a good chance that the gate will sag over time if you add significant weight to it by cladding it as you suggest, although it might help if a diagonal brace was added to the rear and welded in position, something like a piece of flat bar 30x 6mm or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Hi all, thanks so much for your suggestions. I'll think about it and look into the different options tomorrow. Thanks again D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

Just another idea that comes to mind- if you decide it's a runner, rather than bolt or screwing anything to the gate you could prefab the wood cladding and have it so that it "clips" onto the gate, perhaps locking over a top and bottom rail (like a french cleat arrangement). By making it demountable so to speak you simplify construction, avoid drilling holes in the steel gate (which will lead to rust) and the cladding is easily removed for retreatment/ painting or repairs. Cladding needonly be 12 or 15mm thick if carefully designed, not so heavy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement