Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External HD Problem

• 11-05-2006 8:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

I have a G4 PowerBook to which I have a 160GB LaCie connected - it works fine. A mate has just called round with his Maxtor 200GB external drive and we are attempting to swap some data. He is a Windows user and his external HD is 'read only' and formatted for 'Windows NT filesystem'. When I attempt to copy files & folders to his external drive I am told that the drive cannot be 'modified'.:eek: It is not a password issue as this drive has been connected to many computers (all Windows) but this is the first Mac it's been connected to. I need to have it connect as I want to transfer approx. 15GB of data.

Anyone any ideas how I can get around this problem.................

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

This is a known "feature". Here's a piece of info: http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/OSX_Technology_Overview/SystemTechnology/chapter_4_section_2.html

One solution would be a FAT filesystem when the external HDD is initially formatted.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ciaranr

I've had to connect the NTFS harddisk too a windows machine and transfer the data via a network cable to my Mac. Sounds a bit complicated but it's not really, Mac OS X help guides you through the process fairly well.

Its best, in my experience, to connect to the Mac from Network Neighbourhood on the Windows machine. Just make your account on OS X a new Network Place and then drag and drop you're data!

You may have to change the subnet that the Mac or Windows machine is on. The names should be something like
    windows.local
    mac.local

or you're more creative versions! Then go into the Add Network Place wizard in Network Neighbourhood and connect to:
    //mac/user

where mac is the computer name of your mac (without the subdomain "local") and user is your short username.

Bit complicated but it should work (after a few tries.. gotta love Windoze!). Anyone knnow of an easier way?

Ciaran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm simply gonna network the PB to the PC - why didn't I think of that before!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 Mr.Mond

This is a snapshot from the link "WUSBDesign" posted earlier. May come in handy.

formats.jpg

Advertisement