Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard Disk Space

• 21-04-2006 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

just wondering where all my hard disk space is going. I got a MBP with the 80GB hard disk two weeks ago and loaded on a few bits and bobs, browsers, email clients etc. nothing huge. I also copied over a few gigs (5GB) of tv shows and music. Again nothing major.

So last night I'm looking at the HD icon and it says there's 35GB left. That can't be right, can it? How big is the OS? What do you do to free up space on the disk?

I've emptied the Trash can too, so there shouldn't be anything in there.

Also, is it possible to get the HD icon to give a real time disk space report? It only changes after a login at the moment. Cheers lads.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

May be temp files, have you created any CD images or DVD images ? How many user accounts have you on board? Apple include demos on new machines, games apps like Office demo etc etc. They could take up some space.

You can have the space available displayed under the drive name,
    Select the dive on the desktop. Click once.
    From the View menu select Show View Options.
    Then tick "Show item info".

Under the drive should appear its capacity and free space.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

check this out

http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize

it'll tell you exactly where your space is going!!! Its a really useful little tool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Thanks guys, downloaded that WhatSize thing alright. Was thinking about writing a little script in Perl to do something similar.

It turns out that theres something like 10GB of stuff in the Library folder. I'm pretty sure a lot of this is stuff I'll never use. Like samples for GarageBand, if I just drag the app to the Trash can does it uninstall everything?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 juice79

This application strips all extra languages that come with Mac OS X and all it’s applications.

http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

From their site......

"Monolingual is a program for removing unnecessary language resources from Mac OS X, in order to reclaim several hundred megabytes of disk space. It requires at least Mac OS X 10.3.9 (Panther) and also works on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger).

I don't know about you, but I use my computer in only one (human) language — English. And I'm willing to bet that you do too, albeit perhaps not English. So why do you have a bunch of localization files for the Mac OS X operating system filling up your hard drive? Enter Monolingual — a handy utility for reclaiming your space for more useful things… like international mp3 files, email or whatever you like."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

WUSBDesign wrote:

What (s)he said...

omni is a great product and will work across a network as well as locally. Thre free version is only limited by the fact that you can't delete directories from within the application. I use it a lot.

hc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

I am a he, but OmniSweeper works for both genders :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

juice79 wrote:
    This application strips all extra languages that come with Mac OS X and all it’s applications.

http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/
    [...]
    Just... wow! Monolingual found 1.8 Gb in unneccessary files!
    That is just fvckin' awesome for my tiny 40Gb HDD:D (assuming nothing fvcks up, of course...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm running Monolingual now.. hopefully it'll clear quite a bit off my pathetically small 30GB HDD!

Advertisement