Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why is mac better?

Options
  • 30-04-2006 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

hi folks i am new to this section.
    i am going to buy a computer soon, i have an old pc. i was wondering about mac, now since it has built in intel. i have a number of questions, they might sound a bit silly to ye (i don't mean to be funny or smart but i hear mac users love their macs with a passion, so i hear). i hope i dont sound stupid.
    of course if there was a web site ye could direct me to that lets say compares pc to mac in a simple way. i would like to know a little bit before i wak into a shop cause the sales rep could confuse me and if he noticed my confusion he could take me to the cleaners.
    i really am serious about considering on buying a mac where this time last year i would have said 'no way'
    i will just ask 2 question for now
    1) you know when windows comes out with new ones, (eg. windows xp) do mac come out with new software around the same time, before or after and are the two softwares equal to each other more or less.
    2) is there anyone here that left pc for mac and
    a) was there a huge change when you first turned it on, different set-ups and icons with different names. did it take you long to get right into it. (my face has never graced a mac)
    b) are you so happy with mac that you never ever plan to go back to pc.
    thanks for reading ( thats if i did'nt bore you, i hope not)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

1) mac comes out with 'totally' new operating systems not as regularly as microsoft.

2) Yes i did. I'm sure many if not most posters here are the same.

a) there is a significant difference, but mac 0SX is infinitely easier and more enjoyable to use.
    They are an absolute joy to use. So much so that i find myself doing the most seemingly tedious things (like organising and timetabling in iCal ]calendar program]) but embarrassingly enjoying it.

b) Yes, i was using a windows machine last week and i just had to laugh. And then got angry. And then appreciated my mac so much more.

I know it's not much but they are so much cooler looking than windows machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

jtsuited wrote:
    b) Yes, i was using a windows machine last week and i just had to laugh. And then got angry. And then appreciated my mac so much more.

This right here is an example of a bugbear of mine with your average Mac fan - he didn't ask you about using Windows, he asked about using a PC.

What do you think of a PC running linux? What about a PC running OSX, if such a thing were legally possible? What differences would exist between a Mac running linux and a PC running linux? Particularly an intel Mac?

Basically, do you know what you're talking about?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i think a pc with linux is much better than a mac, a mac is much better than a pc. macs are great IF the software is available for your needs(ie image/video editing), they are stupidly priced, somewhat of a fashion item, be it a hell of alot better than them ipod abominations. windows pcs, just try please everyone and end up falling short of the mark alot of the time. linus is grand if your willing to put in the time to learn it, settle with open source programs(perfectly useable) or be prepared to try emulate windows/mac programs(WINE), which is probmatic at times.

thats my 2 cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Neither's better, but Macs are just nice to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

From a security point of view OSx is far safer than XP on a PC. You don't have to suffer the pitfalls of viruses, adware, spyware, & rouge programs running in the background. Of course these problems do exist for Mac users, but nowhere near the scale of XP users.

Personally I find OSx a joy to use. Compared to XP it's faster, more efficient, & far more stable. The interface looks great and feels natural. I've been using Macs for about a year & I think my Macmini had crashed only twice.

As for Linux... It's a great free OS, but unless you're really into computers & are willing to spend a fair bit of time learning the ins & out of the system I really wouldn't bother.

Although you'll have to for out an extra few quid for a Mac, overall OSx is a far better system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Sico wrote:
    This right here is an example of a bugbear of mine with your average Mac fan - he didn't ask you about using Windows, he asked about using a PC.

What do you think of a PC running linux? What about a PC running OSX, if such a thing were legally possible? What differences would exist between a Mac running linux and a PC running linux? Particularly an intel Mac?

I can see where you're coming from SICO but I think you'll agree that when most consumers talk about a PC they are actually talking about Windows. The two are universally linked in the minds of most people. When I say I use a Mac I'm talking about the whole package: the Apple built hardware and their OS, Mac OS. This is something we just accept.

Judging by the OP I'd guess he's never even seen Linux (no offence OP) working on a PC let alon a Mac.

OP: I use all three systems mentioned in SICOs post - Windows XP - MacOS X - Linux. They each have their strengths and weaknesses but from a novices POV I think Windows is better simply because it will be easier for you to find someone to help you if you run into trouble. Yes Macs are easy to use but only once you've mastered the "computer" in general. That is once you've learned what things are then you will have no problem finding them and using/adjusting them on a Mac.

My 2C !!

ZEN

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

sturgo wrote:

As for Linux... It's a great free OS, but unless you're really into computers & are willing to spend a fair bit of time learning the ins & out of the system I really wouldn't bother.

Although you'll have to for out an extra few quid for a Mac, overall OSx is a far better system.

i think thats a misconception bout linux, there are now lots of gui versions of linux that emulate osx/xp interfaces with installers and everything, I know its a bit daunting but all I'll say is, give ubuntu or similar a bash before you decide, its free, you've nothing to lose only a love for miscrosoft(boo hoo) or and appriciation for unix(os x is unix based also)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

"why is mac better?"

Do you know anyone who attends a 'PC users' club?!! ;)

Ok, seriously though, yeah I'm biased but I reckon apart from the design of the actual hardware which I think most would agree is pretty cool, and yeah, it generally costs a bit more and maybe there is less availability of software, but one of the main reasons that I recommend Macs is that just about all the software that you'll need for general day to day home use is included with the Mac off the shelf. And if there's other stuff you need you can buy it from Apple and all of it has been designed and made the same company who make the hardware, and I think that integration gives a great advantage over 'PC' users who are often using Windows from MS on hardware from Dell or one of hundreds of other hardware makers and running applications made by various different software companies. Of course, there are some apps that are recommended to get as well i.e. MS Office, Roxio Toast and maybe Photoshop.

This ad sums it up for me
    http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/?better_medium

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

I was used to using Windows in work and before using a mac, I was frustrated as to how slow it was. Then one afternoon, a friend showed me her Powerbook and the whole look of the notebook blew me away. Then she showed me the layout of the desktop and the software on it and I had to say, it was light years away from Windows and the ugly box on my desk in work. That was me sold and not too long afterwards, I got a Powerbook. Even with broadband in work, the Pbook was streets faster using dialup at home and I knew I had bagged a winner.

The whole Apple machine is more beautiful to look at than a "PC" s well, which helps make it more fun to use and have around the place. Even the boxes they come in are almost artlike! I am now sitting here, using a white iMac with translucent mouse, it feels more like it belongs in heaven than my bedroom :) Even the screen images look sharper and tighter.

As well, the security and whole all round ruggeness of Apple machinery and software makes the extra price worthwhile. There is many a person still using macs that are 5,6,7 years old and they are running both old and top spec operating systems alike. The simple fact that all the software holds the test of time, macs are better for adapting to old and new versions alike and the way you get EVERYTHING on a mac and not having to search for install disc when you get one new, they are simpler to use no bones about it makes it a better value purchase. As it is, Mid range macs like iMac tend to be better equipped from start software wise than equivilant Windows packages and as such, better value.

Softwares are and can be different, but it's still click double click as with Windows, and Mac users tend to be better with using the keyboard to get round their everyday tasks than right clicking everything, especially when we have to use a Windows machine again.

Any downsides? Getting software can be hard, and suppliers as well. But that means by passing shops and salesmen fobbing you off on stuff you don't need.

As for moving back to Windows, I wont say never but I really can't see it happening at my end

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Sico wrote:

Seems you misunderstood the context. Look at the original post and calm down. OP is asking about mac versus PC(windows).
    And please don't be so rude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

ok people thanks very very much for your help.
    i am not going to buy a new computer till late summer and one reason for that is that i am waiting for sky to come out with a broadband package for ireland. i could be wrong but something tells me sky will have a great offer. i just want to get all done together, new computer, broadband, change of room and i need to let someone know i have a new set-up (sensitive files).
    thanks alot that was good info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭danbhala

good thread , just found it now.

im looking to but an iBook myself. I'm a heavy pc user myself and i do alot of my college and web work on it... the reason i want to get an iBook is because i want to rely on it always running sweet and not bog it down with alot of software... main usage for it would be portable net, and all using the whole iLife package etc... my pc is fairly bogged up with stuff over the years and gives me a headache at times... so instead of a new pc im thinking, iBook and pc upgrade.

gonna hold out on purchasing untill these intel laptops come out.. are they gonna do iBooks with the intel chips?

also, since im looking for ultra portability i'm thinking im gonna go for the 12" iBook. bang it up to a gig of ram and a 60 gig drive. with the education apple shop it comes out pretty cheap. (check attatchment) but how much heavier and bulkier is the 14?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

the 14" is not as portable as the 12" needless to say. As 14" go, its light enough, but the 12" is much more portable.

Intel chips for the iBook will happen, but nobody really knows when. Id say its going to be a 12" powerbook first.

Regardsless, when buying your mac, be sure to get the standard amount of memory and order the extra from www.shop4memory.com. Based in kildare and sell top RAM at great prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ciaranr

The new iBook is widely rumoured to be 13.3 inch widescreen, which should leave it around the same depth, loooking straight on at an open machine, as the current machine (9 inches), and a little bit wider. Should be a nice looking machine and still compact, which to me would be very important for throwing it into a rucksack. (My ibook 12 has lived happily inside a second skin in my rucksack for last year and a half, not a bother).

Check out a Photoshop mock up of what the new machine *might* look like. I think June is the rumoured announcement date on most of the rumour sites, do a google for "intel ibook" for more info, even though it will most likely be called MacBook.

Ciaran

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Technically a Mac is a PC (Personal Computer) However in layman terms a PC generally refers to an IBM compatible running windows. Commonly know as a Wintel box. These days its a bit more complicated as you can use AMD as well as Intel, (Wathlon) and you can run many other OS'es on an IBM compatible.

I use Mac's and Wintel's and I don't find much of a difference TBH. Mind you I've being using computers for years and so I don't really have the issues that new users might have. However most of my work can only be done on a Wintel machine so I spend most of my time there. For gaming I tend to play simulations and theres more of them on the PC. For most average uses that just play mainstream games and do office/media tasks then theres not much between Mac's and PC's. Some people prefer to use the same machine they use at work or in college and thats usually a PC. However you'll find it difficult to get a balanced answer, Mac forums are full of Mac Zealots, as PC forums are full of PC Zealots etc. Ditto Linux Forums. I end supporting a few non techies friends with their Macs and PC's and to be honest they tend to have the same kinda issues and problems.

At the end of the day it comes down to what you are going to do. What software you use, (or expect to use in the future) and you buy the machine that can run that. The hardware really isn't important. Decide what you need to do, choose the software, then the hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

IMO, whether a Mac or PC suits an individual depends on what s/he is using it for.

A colleague of mine used PCs (Windows, Linux) for much of his life until he was forced to find a replacement for his ailing tower. He uses digital video and a high-end digital SLR, so one can imagine how many files he has lying around, barely touched at all apart from just printing. Yes, he has all the related software, but..... Then, the Intel-based MacMini came along, and he bought it. Guess what next?

He started downloading his DV and photo files onto his Mac, and began organising them for the first time! Reason? "I felt like using iPhoto, iMovie more, that's all." We began to converse more now on "how does iPhoto do this, iDVD does that, where can we get more iDVD themes", etc. Mac-addiction.

EDIT: on re-reading my own post, I've got to add that this particular colleague is no multimedia guru or professional - just a father trying to organise his family's digital media (if this is the right word).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I used PC with Windows for years and about 4 years ago it was time once again to replace my computer. A friend of mine had a Mac and I was impressed and decided to buy an iBook. To say I was impressed would be an understatement. As time went by I was even more impressed. It got to the point that I used to hate using my PC in work. It was slow and very hesitant and required restarting every now and then. I bought a PowerBook last year and I now use it in work. It networks much easier than a PC, it never requires a restart, no viruses and faster imo. That said I still need to keep the PC on my desk as there are 2 applications that I cannot get for my Mac as they were custom built for the company and I'm the only one of 400 employees that use a Mac. In the 4 years I've been using Mac I have to say that not once has the OS crashed. Some applications have crashed on very few occassions. I find that no matter how many applications are running on the Mac it never slows down, but in my experience this is not the case with Windows.

I find the whole iLife package so integrated and sweet to use.

Lastly, I find OSX much more refined as GUI than Windows which I consider to be a bit 'rough around the edges' and also cumbersome. I honestly don't think I'd switch back to Windows as my primary OS.

Ultimately it depends on your own requirements and likes or dislikes. You should check that all the software you will require is available for Mac. And as posted earlier, gaming seems to have more availability with Windows.

And so ends my 2 cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

danbhala wrote:
    good thread , just found it now.

im looking to but an iBook myself. I'm a heavy pc user myself and i do alot of my college and web work on it... the reason i want to get an iBook is because i want to rely on it always running sweet and not bog it down with alot of software... main usage for it would be portable net, and all using the whole iLife package etc... my pc is fairly bogged up with stuff over the years and gives me a headache at times... so instead of a new pc im thinking, iBook and pc upgrade.

gonna hold out on purchasing untill these intel laptops come out.. are they gonna do iBooks with the intel chips?

also, since im looking for ultra portability i'm thinking im gonna go for the 12" iBook. bang it up to a gig of ram and a 60 gig drive. with the education apple shop it comes out pretty cheap. (check attatchment) but how much heavier and bulkier is the 14?
    I got a 12" iBook recently for the same reason -- just wanted it for college work, eg. typing essays, programming, and internet, and it's working like a charm. I haven't bogged it down with much software cos I haven't needed to (except for the free Office alternative, cos it only comes with an Office demo).

I got all the basic specs, student discount (bout €50 I think), free delivery, etc., and it came to about €950. Bargain as far as I'm concerned, haven't looked back (although I've only had it bout 3 months ;) -- and it is a bit annoying that I can't play CounterStrike in college :p But sure I'd never get work done then!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭whippet

I am a huge mac fan and have been for years, currently on a Powerbook G4, but in work I have a HP notebook.

I don't remember the last time either crashed, what do people be doing that their machines are crashing all the time, grant it i don't do heavy photoshop filters or the like .. just general personal and office use, remote access and stuff.

regardless of Win or OSX as long as you keep both updated and don't fill your machine with loads of crap software it should keep running.

Although OS X, iLife and the apple hardware is a winner 100% of the time for me.

Anyone I know that has used seemlessly iMovie to shoot a homemovie, garage band for the background music and narration and then on to iDVD ... can't fail to be impressed!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement