Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mullingar - Athlone Greenway progress?

Options
  • 19-04-2015 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just wondering does anyone know how this is progressing and is it still due to open this summer?

Very hard find information online.

I'd read it eventually plans to extend to Maynooth via the canal and possibly Dublin city centre down the line. Would be a nice day on the bike if it ever gets that far!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Hey all,

Just wondering does anyone know how this is progressing and is it still due to open this summer?

Very hard find information online.

I'd read it eventually plans to extend to Maynooth via the canal and possibly Dublin city centre down the line. Would be a nice day on the bike if it ever gets that far!

I'm not to far from a section of it still no Tarmac laid from what I can see.
    It is being readied for it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

at least there'll be bicycles going along the route, instead of ghost trains

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Last I read they were starting work this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Rasmus wrote: »
    Last I read they were starting work this summer.

Work started a long time ago. It was meant to open in July this year.

Work started a long time ago. It was meant to open in July this year.

I was thinking in particular about the Athlone section at Garrycastle. I can't remember where I read it though.

• Advertisement

Rasmus wrote: »
    I was thinking in particular about the Athlone section at Garrycastle. I can't remember where I read it though.

Ah right. I was of the belief that the section as far as Garycastle would be completed by mid summer with the section into the town itself being completed by the following summer.

Ah right. I was of the belief that the section as far as Garycastle would be completed by mid summer with the section into the town itself being completed by the following summer.

That would seem to make sense as they don't appear to be doing anything over there (other than the pedestrian walkway by the old bridge).

Just saw this on the Westmeath Independant's facebook page, also passed the entrence/start beside the spar in garrycastle the other day, looks like it just needs to have the top layer of pavement laid and it'll be good to go.

Looks like the section from Athlone on to Galway might be a few years down the line yet, but sure hopefully the section about to open gets good use!
    The cycling and walking options available to people in Westmeath are about to receive a massive boost with the opening this summer of a new cycleway linking the county’s two biggest towns.

The cycleway from Mullingar to the Garrycastle area of Athlone is nearing completion and Westmeath County Council has said that, if all goes according to plan, it will be opened to the public in mid-July.

- See more at: http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/news/roundup/articles/2015/05/18/4037723-countdown-is-on-to-opening-of-athlone-to-mullingar-cycleway/#sthash.LVT4WTFY.dpuf

Just saw this on the Westmeath Independant's facebook page, also passed the entrence/start beside the spar in garrycastle the other day, looks like it just needs to have the top layer of pavement laid and it'll be good to go.

Looks like the section from Athlone on to Galway might be a few years down the line yet, but sure hopefully the section about to open gets good use!

It's great news - I hope that the next section is not too far away.

I don't really understand why they couldn't have gone the extra few KMs as far as the level crossing on the Ballymahon road and brought the greenway right into town instead of having it end out in Garycastle, but I suppose they have their reasons.

If it ended at the Ballymahon road you'd be opening it up to a collection of massive residential areaa like Beechpark, retreat, auburn heights and so on, be perfect for families wanting to take kids on a nice safe off road spin on the bike instead of making them go out to Garycastle first.

• Advertisement

I don't really understand why they couldn't have gone the extra few KMs as far as the level crossing on the Ballymahon road and brought the greenway right into town instead of having it end out in Garycastle, but I suppose they have their reasons.

If it ended at the Ballymahon road you'd be opening it up to a collection of massive residential areaa like Beechpark, retreat, auburn heights and so on, be perfect for families wanting to take kids on a nice safe off road spin on the bike instead of making them go out to Garycastle first.

I know, I wonder if it is that the town centre zoning isn't finalised yet. Imagine how amazing it would be if it went to town and past the secondary schools!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Any idea what kind of surface it'll be finished with? Doubt it's tarmac, maybe chippings sprayed with tar! Anyone know?

I'd say it will be the same sort of small gravel with tar they have on the greenway in Mayo to keep it easy to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

What is the length of this cycleway?

TheBody wrote: »

Approx 40km if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Approx 40km if I recall correctly.

Sounds great! This is one trip I'll be making this summer.

Sounds great! This is one trip I'll be making this summer.

I've a a few friends on the other end of it, so hoping to cycle there, have a night out and cycle home the next day as a little weekend trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

I'd say it will be the same sort of small gravel with tar they have on the greenway in Mayo to keep it easy to maintain.

I see! Is the mayo cycleway suitable for racers i.e. serious cyclists, or is it mostly leisure type bicycles?

Salmon wrote: »
    I see! Is the mayo cycleway suitable for racers i.e. serious cyclists, or is it mostly leisure type bicycles?

It's completely geared towards leisure cycling. You can do it on a bike with skinny (23mm) tyres but it's a lot more comfortable on a hybrid or touring or cyclocross bike with wider tyres and a more upright seating position.
    the main advantage this should have over mayo for road bikes is that it won't have cattle grids to cross so it should be more road bike friendly, but it's not perfectly flat asphalt, so don't be expecting to be tipping along at 30kmph or using it as a training spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

So will you have to stop in moate station when the lights are red and let the other cyclists go in the opposite direction lol

• Advertisement

So will you have to stop in moate station when the lights are red and let the other cyclists go in the opposite direction lol

It's wide enough for several bikes to pass eachother by the lookds of it, be grand. Only holdups will be the odd level crossing, thankfully :)

Probably be a few kissing gates along it to deter kids on motorbikes and horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

I assume you can take motorcycles onto the cycleway ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Long Gone wrote: »

Probably not a good idea.

Nope, it's dedicated to cyclists and walker, the surface wouldn't be designed to stand up to motorised vehicles.

Why would anyone want to bring a motorcycle on to it anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bovis

FYI. Here's a personal blog that I am hoping to keep up to date with any relevant news / updates on the Dublin to Galway greenway (which the Athlone to Mullingar is part of).

http://www.dublingalwaygreenway.com

Some people on this thread might find it useful. Please send on any updates or photos.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Does anyone know if there are any detailed maps of the greenway? With access points etc. Or am I getting ahead of myself?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

I read somewhere it's 42k.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Nope, it's dedicated to cyclists and walker, the surface wouldn't be designed to stand up to motorised vehicles.

Why would anyone want to bring a motorcycle on to it anyway?

Why would anyone want to bring a pushbike on it ? - It's too far to pushbike it from Athlone to Mullingar. If they allowed motorbikes / quads on it it would be a safe alternative way of making the journey and avoid you having to travel on the main roads which are a bit dangerous on a motorcycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Athlone to Mullingar too far for a pushbike? Im not even fully fit and Ive done Mullingar to Dublin on the Canal. 42km is nothing when its flat as a pancake. There will be more people cycling that route than walking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Why would anyone want to bring a pushbike on it ? - It's too far to pushbike it from Athlone to Mullingar. If they allowed motorbikes / quads on it it would be a safe alternative way of making the journey and avoid you having to travel on the main roads which are a bit dangerous on a motorcycle.

Nonsense,

It's 42k which is a couple of hours on a bike even for the most unfit person. The idea of the Greenway is to a provide safe, recreational cycling, walking, running space for the people of Athlone and Mullingar, and not a rat run for motorbikes.

BTW, I love motorbikes but the Greenway is no place for them, it'd be like riding on a footpath. 20 km/h is more than fast enough for anyone to be travelling on a shared greenway and that would just be pure torture on a motorbike.

When they re-did the canal path from Ballinea - Shandonagh a few years ago a couple of w#nkers on motorbikes had the place torn up doing donuts and being idiots before the gates were installed.

Not trying to start a row and most bikers are sensible and don't carry on like this, but there's always one idiot.

Advertisement