Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Palace Bar, Athlone

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

But on a serious note I do agree that the town has picked up. ALl this year the crowds have been bugger. Town is now busy on a Friday night as well as a saturday.
    We need a new late bar venuw, the Piano bar is horribly cramped, what with been narrow and all those pillars in the middle of, too busy for the crowds it gets, and also they have moved all the sound bouncers to viva, and left older dryer bouncers in the Piano, who flip over little stuff, and just go around scowling at people.

But to finish off on a positive note, Athlone is on the up, we have a good selection of good pubs currently in Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Did you consider the canoe club?

I guess one could have gone there during the day (allowing for maybe going to the bar after. Could as easily have done cinema or just visit friends).

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

I guess one could have gone there during the day (allowing for maybe going to the bar after. Could as easily have done cinema or just visit friends).

Or you could have gone to 5 a side soccer....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dizzyme

The Palace is still closed. And its now on the market.

- at 650K, is this cheap, reasonable or over-priced ?
    - The cost of the refurb was probably close to 650K.... but I think that they made it too clinical, I reckon they lost sight of the fact that most people still like to have a drink in a place that has a bit of character. The clean lines and ultra-modern look is a bit sterile. Am I wrong ?
    - will there be much demand for it (Palace) ? keeping in mind that it kind of is in the same market as Raynors, which can't seem to stay open for more than a few months. I can't understand how Raynors closed, it always seemed to be busy and IMHO had a good name
    - If I buy it, I think I'll change the name, lose the baggage....
    - It could be a gold-mine, under the right management. The location is perfect, the size of the premises is perfect. I'm thinking of turning it into the "Whelans" of Athlone. Live quality music venue. It will take time but the Irish economy is going to boom in the next 5 years and Athlone is getting even more and more accessible. We will also have loads of hippy Dutch, French and German Cyclists coming through with the new cycleway.

so, should I get my checkbook out or what ?

double_you_double_you_double_you.property.ie/commercial-property/The-Palace-Bar-Athlone-Co-Westmeath/223657/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Over priced. Theres a reason that the night market went from 3 late bars to 1.

Athlone getting more and more accessible you say? What is planned to make the town even more accessible (than it currently is).

The pub market is pretty flat in towns Athlone's size. Comparing it to a Dublin venue instead of a similarly successful venue (does such exist) from another population 20K town is a bit silly.

Finally, Athlone is a pretty tight fisted town; the locals don't spend alot of money. Successful businesses in town? Penneys, Aldi and Dealz. And yes, for that reason. A long time recouping your money.

Alot of money to put down on something that will likely fail. Sorry to rain on your parade, it is your money and i wish you luck if it goes ahead anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Rayners had fallen out of popularity by 2007, so it's closure wasn't too much of a surprise. Even when it reopened as JDs and then again as Suede they got good crowds initially before dropping off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭rje66

[QUOTE=veryangryman;96185543

Finally, Athlone is a pretty tight fisted town; the locals don't spend alot of money. Successful businesses in town?

.[/QUOTE]
    A bit off the mark there, how many towns the size of athlone have the vibrant restaurant scene/choice athlone has??

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Dizzyme wrote: »
    It will take time but the Irish economy is going to boom in the next 5 years and Athlone is getting even more and more accessible.
    We will also have loads of hippy Dutch, French and German Cyclists coming through with the new cycleway.

That's what the local councillors think, so much so they are about to remove 15-25 mooring spaces from Athlone marina to facilitate a bike bridge.
    Pity there is no local government election in the offing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

The Piano Bar, Gerties and Sean's would appear to get most of the pub/nightclub business in Athlone. For a town its size which is not swamped with tourists it does have a healthy selection of restaraunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Dizzyme wrote: »

- at 650K, is this cheap, reasonable or over-priced ?
    - The cost of the refurb was probably close to 650K.... but I think that they made it too clinical, I reckon they lost sight of the fact that most people still like to have a drink in a place that has a bit of character. The clean lines and ultra-modern look is a bit sterile. Am I wrong ?
    - will there be much demand for it (Palace) ? keeping in mind that it kind of is in the same market as Raynors, which can't seem to stay open for more than a few months. I can't understand how Raynors closed, it always seemed to be busy and IMHO had a good name
    - If I buy it, I think I'll change the name, lose the baggage....
    - It could be a gold-mine, under the right management. The location is perfect, the size of the premises is perfect. I'm thinking of turning it into the "Whelans" of Athlone. Live quality music venue. It will take time but the Irish economy is going to boom in the next 5 years and Athlone is getting even more and more accessible. We will also have loads of hippy Dutch, French and German Cyclists coming through with the new cycleway.

so, should I get my checkbook out or what ?

double_you_double_you_double_you.property.ie/commercial-property/The-Palace-Bar-Athlone-Co-Westmeath/223657/

You're right about the sterile look - Really ruined the place. The downstairs bar looked and felt terrible with all that white decor. A chrome and mirror and white wall palace was not what Athlone needed. I think it's overpriced. It would need total refurbishment /remodelling and a big problem is that there's not a lot of parking in the area. I hope you're right about the boom - And I hope that it's more sustainable than the last cheap credit and greed fuelled bubble.

• Advertisement
Advertisement