Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP - OO Impresss - > Powerpoint Problem: Job Interview tomorrow

Options
  • 17-11-2015 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to open an OO Impress Presentation in Powerpoint. It has been saved as a .ppt file.

However, when opened in Powerpoint the bullets do not align properly. I'm struggling to get this fixed.

I've tried Tools > Options > Fonts

and replacing Symbol and Wingdings always with OpenSymbol. No success.

Please help - I need to get this resolved soon for my interview.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Hi,

I'm trying to open an OO Impress Presentation in Powerpoint. It has been saved as a .ppt file.

However, when opened in Powerpoint the bullets do not align properly. I'm struggling to get this fixed.

I've tried Tools > Options > Fonts

and replacing Symbol and Wingdings always with OpenSymbol. No success.

Please help - I need to get this resolved soon for my interview.

Thanks.

There are always possibilities than native formatting in one will not open in the other. Is it just bullets that are giving you trouble. Can you remove them in PowerPoint and then re-instate them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Nope, they reinstate in the same way.

F*** this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Have you tried uploading and converting the file to a google doc (via google drive) or office online (office[dot]com)? Sorry, can't post links.

Tried CloudConvert.com. Waste of time.

Tried CloudConvert.com. Waste of time.

Not what I suggested.

If you have a Google Account (gmail), sign in to that. There's a "grid" over the top right. Click that, click drive. Click on the orange icon New - File Upload, browse to your file.

When the file uploads, double click on it. Click on "Open" at the top. It should open in a new drive as a Google Slide. You can click File - Download As - And select PPT.

Could be a workaround.

Failing that you could try the same using Office(dot)com

• Advertisement

Would Open Office Portable be runnable on a companies network if I accessed it from a USB stick?

Would Open Office Portable be runnable on a companies network if I accessed it from a USB stick?

Executables (.exe's) will be blocked by their A/V from external devices. If not, they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Maybe try saving it as a .pptx instead of a .ppt ... might save the formatting better?

Got around it by using '-' and '>' characters instead of bullets.

PITA.

Good thinking Alun, but just checked and the OO I have does not convert to .pptx
    Don't have time to download a new version.

Crappy workaround that it is, it's still much better than the translated formatting.

Wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

If that's Apache OpenOffice, you should strongly consider a switch to LibreOffice.

OpenOffice was forked in 2011 and most of the developers left to work on the forked version, LibreOffice. LibreOffice has a number of features not present in Apache OpenOffice, including the ability to save in .pptx. The formatting bug you encountered may also be fixed.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/203979-is-openoffice-dying
    A recent code analysis demonstrated that there are more than 250 active developers working on LibreOffice from a small group of companies, while OpenOffice has just 16 developers listed

• Advertisement

Thanks - didn't know that.

So, I'm best deleting OO and installing LO then?

Advertisement