Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick and dirty car wash thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I'm not saying what you did or didn't, nor am I throwing digs at anyone, I wouldn't be into fighting on the internet.

I didn't really ask for advice. My aim was to generate a positive discussion around cheaper products and quicker, riskier methods for those who dont have the time or aren't interested in large scale detailing.

We're going in circles again now though, so i'l leave it at that.

And you see that is exactly where I offered my advice.
    You might feel it was / is quicker but in reality a properly prepped and sealed car will be much easier and quicker to wash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

In fairness there is already a well established washing method i.e. the two bucket method. It is cheap, and not time consuming so it fits all the criteria of a "quick and dirty" wash and is the starting point of all valeting or detailing. It can be used on any car. There is no big cost in two buckets, a mitt and some car shampoo. A snow foam lance and power washer whilst preferable are not a must have. There is really no need to re-invent the wheel where car washing is concerned. What happens after that is up to each individual and their car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'm not saying what you did or didn't, nor am I throwing digs at anyone, I wouldn't be into fighting on the internet.

I didn't really ask for advice. My aim was to generate a positive discussion around cheaper products and quicker, riskier methods for those who dont have the time or aren't interested in large scale detailing.

We're going in circles again now though, so i'l leave it at that.

Quicker and riskier isn't detailing though and I doubt it's what valeting is either. If you wash with cheap products and riskier methods you will more than likely damage your paintwork. Sure it might look clean but imperfections will show up and you'll probably want to correct your methods to improve the bodywork and products you use in your car, if you value it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Have to agree with Vecta on this, look at the title
    Car Detailing
    It's all in the details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

you'l have to re-edit the forum tag line, "it's all in the details, non-conformists not allowed"... or something slightly more catchy.

i think it's fair to say the thread is thoroughly derailed and the concept has been beaten to a pulp. it was just a nice idea for guys with less time or money to post up what they do and get an opportunity to show off their work. not looking for advice, not looking to improve, just to show off their cars that they had washed up that they were happy with.

someone should really just flag the thread with a mod and get it locked, it really serves no purpose now other than to be a source of bickering. nobody was going to let it lie. i've tried to remain positive towards it, tried to save face with it, tried to justify and explain it, but seemingly, there is nothing to be said for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

you'l have to re-edit the forum tag line, "it's all in the details, non-conformists not allowed"... or something slightly more catchy.

i think it's fair to say the thread is thoroughly derailed and the concept has been beaten to a pulp. it was just a nice idea for guys with less time or money to post up what they do and get an opportunity to show off their work. not looking for advice, not looking to improve, just to show off their cars that they had washed up that they were happy with.

someone should really just flag the thread with a mod and get it locked, it really serves no purpose now other than to be a source of bickering. nobody was going to let it lie. i've tried to remain positive towards it, tried to save face with it, tried to justify and explain it, but seemingly, there is nothing to be said for it.

10/10 for effort TFB but round these parts it's Detail or F*ck off it seems! :pac:

NickDunne wrote: »
    10/10 for effort TFB but round these parts it's Detail or F*ck off it seems! :pac:

Actually ...No.!
    Around here it is a lot to do with helpful advice on how to improve members wash routine and how to improve the appearance of their cars and how to maintain them.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭NickDunne

vectra wrote: »
    Actually ...No.!
    Around here it is a lot to do with helpful advice on how to improve members wash routine and how to improve the appearance of their cars and how to maintain them.

At no point in the OP was that asked for though. It was only showing his "weekly warrior" wash routine.

This thread is well and truly ruined now anyway, I would ask for a mod to 'clean' it but youd probably criticise their technique too...

NickDunne wrote: »
    At no point in the OP was that asked for though. It was only showing his "weekly warrior" wash routine.

This thread is well and truly ruined now anyway, I would ask for a mod to 'clean' it but youd probably criticise their technique too...

I think actually the OP took a dislike to being called a weekend warrior at some point,
    I never called him that.
    I actually congratulated his effort but only offered some advice on how little work would be needed to both improve the finish and make his weekend wash much simpler.
    It was the keyboard warriors took it up wrong.

** EDIT **

In actual fact,
    I have just read back through the whole 4 pages.
    You..! YES YOU...!!! are one to complain about the thread being derailed..
    Not once in any of your posts did you or Ded Zebra offer any form of advice but only complain about mine.
    After all. That is what this forum is all about.
    Almost every one of both your posts were to do nothing only criticize my posts.
    Again. I offer advice and help to other posters on here.
    Most take it on board and and glad of it. It may be suggested to the OP but other readers could make use of the advice on how to wash it properly. or how to clay the paint and why this would be a big step in achieving a much better result for very small cost.
    As I said
    You and DZ can thank each other for the derailment.

So please go ahead and report it to a mod /admin.
    Maybe they will take a different view on things and see what both of you are offering here.

• Advertisement

TFB - there is a thread called "Today I did Some detailing" - post your car there, and it helps if you post how you did it, so that other folk can learn what you did to get the car looking so well. You will get more experienced detailing hobbyists offering advice, its up to you if you want to take it.

Quick and easy - this is what I did the other day (granted I have done a thorough wash beforehand and the car has a coat of wax/sealant on it)

I sprayed Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel on the wheels, let it dwell and rinsed.

Then I rinsed the car with powerwasher, got my snowfoam lance and used CarPro Hydro2foam in the bottle and sprayed the car leaving it dwell for a few minutes and used a mitt to wash it in. And then rinsed, and dried.

My god was I pleased when it started to rain, the beading was pretty beautiful. I hadnt washed the car in over three weeks but the wash I gave it only took me less than an hour if even that.

The key as always is to make sure the car is well prepped and then cleaning can be very quick!!

This is one I took from inside the house as it was raining at the time:
    IMG_20151126_154631_zpsv2jkaajz.jpg

That looks super ^^
    How much hydro2foam do you use in the lance?

No more than what I'd usually put in. Roughly an inch as per the instructions it says 1:9 and close the foam nozzle. The foam isn't thick as ph neutral when it comes out but it does wash in very nicely with the wash mitt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

I agree with you to a point but in reality they should have started a new thread to show of their work as it wasn't detailing as such, more wash and shine or valet.which is a far cry from detailing. if all the post that don't have detailing were deleted from this thread them it would be back on track, posts by MickDunne and Ded Zebra haven't been very helpful from a detailing perspective. I thought that i was great at keeping my car in gleaming condition until i joined this thread and saw the advice that Curran and Vectra and other like minded were giving, completely changed the way i clean and keep my car now. so if people are not interest in going to the trouble of good detailing then they should not br posting in this thread.

Mc Love wrote: »
    No more than what I'd usually put in. Roughly an inch as per the instructions it says 1:9 and close the foam nozzle. The foam isn't thick as ph neutral when it comes out but it does wash in very nicely with the wash mitt.

So, foam and power rinse first I assume?
    then coat with this.
    Wash
    rinse
    Dry?

Rinse
    Hydro2foam snow foam and spread it around with wash mitt. No need for 2BM
    Rinse
    Dry

That is all

• Advertisement

Rinse
    Rinse
    Dry

That is all

Hmm,
    I am dubious.
    What about any grit on the paint prior to hydro2foam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

I would definitely wash the car as normal before hand! And then foam its, rub it in with a mitt and rinse off!
    The beauty is, it can be used through a lance, or as a shampoo in the wash bucket, with the same results.
    So you can do it
    - snowfoam, rinse, wash with 2BM, snowfoam with HydrO2Foam, rinse and dry
    - snowfoam, rinse, wash with HydrO2Foam as shampoo and 2BM, rinse and dry

Really is a fantastic product, if a bit expensive, but the results for such an EASY product to use, and you dont need a lance, are fantastic....and funny it should be debated in this, of all threads! :P
    Maybe we might get it back on track! :D

SBPhoto wrote: »
    I thought that i was great at keeping my car in gleaming condition until i joined this thread and saw the advice that Curran and Vectra and other like minded were giving, completely changed the way i clean and keep my car now.

I guess that's the difference with myself at least. I've been there, done that, back when I was a bit younger I would have been a much more extreme detailer. I still own a DAS6, I also have a draper rotarty, I have 2 power washers, a wet vac, a very useful steamer and a dramatic amount of pads for both buffers, for use by hand, bags of microfibres, countless bottles of swankily branded products, various sizes of brushes for both the interior and exterior both stiff and soft, various grades of clay, boxes of fine sandpaper and all other maner of detailing gear.

I can remember when I had the likes of my RS Vitz I used to put it on axle stands so I could wash the coilovers, I used to put tyre shine on the inner walls of the tyres, 100% of the time i'd have a paper valet mat on each car mat and a plastic seat cover on the driver seat. I used to try to avoid driving it in the rain ffs.

I remember on another occasion, must have been during the winter months, I was applying a coat of Werkstat Prime over my Corolla SR and by the time I had finished applying it, the product had frozen on the horizontal panels. I had rituals, first wipe the dash down vertically with a microfibre damp with APC mix then apply trim dressing with a foam pad in a horizontal motion afterwards, 6 wipes, no more, no less and ****ed up **** like that. No eating in the car, no letting the windows down if there is condensation on them to prevent streaks, no wiping the wipers if I could avoid it so the water marks would be consistant. If my car were dirty I would even park it where my colleagues wouldn't see it, for fear of being judged.

In my youth I also valeted for a Toyota dealership, so I have a good idea of the level of detail you have to go into to make a car look like new in terms of cleaning the inner dish of the wheels, brushing all the crevaces like around badges and emblems, along window bead etc. Making sure to wash the foot pedals and the complete 360 degrees of the door jamb, cleaning the grease out of seat rails and all that type of malarkey, brushing the vents and around the buttons on the dash and so on and so on.

I know how to get a car 100% "clean and presentable" and I spent manys a year as a detailing enthusiast. I know how to detail and the concepts and practises surrounding it.

Much as I love having a factory fresh looking car, I realised (for me at least) that life is too short to be worried about that type of thing and that (again, for me) my time and money could be better invested elsewhere and the thing that clenched it for me was that I could get results 80% as good with 10-20% of the time. My car is probably a 20:20 car, but that does me just fine right now :) considering the mileage I do in it (circa 1k miles per week) and time or money spent detailing it would quite literally be a waste.

They are just my findings and my opinions and i'm not trying to push them onto others, I was just thinking other lads who don't have much time or money for cleaing their car but who still enjoy doing it, might like to show off what they've got. Any chance their ever was of somebody else posting a quick wash is dead and buried now anyway after the flaming i've gotten and quite frankly the attitude of some poster is absolutely shocking. "You cant post this, you cant post that, if you're posting here, I will lecture you whether you want it or not, that is my right" etc etc. **** me like.

Anyway, there's a rant for ya on a Monday night. I'm off to watch the latest MCM installment.

If folk weren't to offer advice or constructive criticism of a given wash routine, there wouldn't be much need for a Detailing forum; there could be a single thread in the Motors section, of 'Today I washed my car'

Im not knocking the purpose of the thread, in fact Im all for it, and the people who are accepting of new techniques, etc, will gain from it. But on the flip side, given the forum, it would be wrong if people were to get criticised for offering their knowledge.

Curran wrote: »
    If folk weren't to offer advice or constructive criticism of a given wash routine, there wouldn't be much need for a Detailing forum; there could be a single thread in the Motors section, of 'Today I washed my car'

That mightn't be a bad shout actually as apparantly there is only one correct way to wash a car and this is not it. You should just have one thread in the main forum where the first post is the process step by step and people just post up finished photos to avoid monotinous repetition and save boards a bit of bandwidth.

What is the point of having a discussion board if a discussion cant be held? This hasn't been a discussion, more a scenario where the methods were dismissed rather than discussed (despite my best efforts) and it was quickly converted to the same format as every other thread "spend more time, spend more on products, listen to such and such, they are the only people who can be right etc etc"...

I actually wonder how many people read the OP and digested it rather than dismissing it.

This thread is more akin to someone on the main forum saying they have €2k to spend on a second hand Micra and the whole forum telling them to buy a brand new R35. They don't want or need one and they couldn't afford it either way, but it's very easy to keep saying how much better it is than the Micra and to keep making a relatively pointless case for it even if it has nothing whatsoever to do with the OP. Then when the OP asks is there any hope of getting back to the point - Micras, the rest of the thread just get crabby and say this is a car forum and R35's are cars, so we're going to keep going. Ignorance I think it's called, actually.

• Advertisement

Anyway, you guys are thinking it, i'm thinking it too... "you should never argue with an idiot..." we just have differing opinions on who the idiot is.

I will honesty do my level best not to reply to this again in the hope it gets locked and i'l let you guys get on about your business. i'l continue with my wash method that i'm happy with, i'l continue to not talk about it :pac: and I wish your forum continued success.

Ah here, I give up! :)
    I mean, all I said was that perhaps one product was overriding your underlying protection, and fair play for posting a thread on what you were trying to achieve...a wash on a tight budget!
    The beading you are showing in the picture above is the beading from the Demon Shine.
    JetSeal would bead in a different way, tighter, rounder beads, like this

IMG_1487-1_zps69db9d04.jpg.html

Fair play for taking the time to show what can be achieved on a tight budget.

Anyways, are you going to change your ways - probably not, until you get more time to spend on it, then perhaps you might take it a few steps further - and good for you!
    Are some poeple going to take some learnings, and realise, damn it, Ive been causing that damage to my paintwork and it was 'avoidable'.....perhaps, and great if they do.
    Are some people going to take up your wash routine, perhaps, and great if they do, if they've been using a bucket, sponge and yard brush, when they do, because they've taken a step in the right direction!

Is it going to stop people offering advice to others when they see something that could be improved on? No! As you say, its a discussion board, and that will generate discussion, and if nobody did, it would be just a thread of people saying, good job, patting each other on the back! Thats no good either!

Anyways, there was a bit of discussion starting out between a few detailing enthusiasts, but the thread has been derailed again! :P

Anyways, there was a bit of discussion starting out between a few detailing enthusiasts, but the thread has been derailed again! :P

And who derailed it? The OP - Could have kept the discussion going but decided to have a rant. Might as well change the title of the thread to "I washed my car on the cheap - discuss"

I'm all for a "I cleaned my car today" thread but we have one like I said in an attempt to bring the thread back on topic. It doesn't matter if you used a quick and dirty method or a really detailed method. The goal is more or less having a clean car to admire. If you can pick up some tips along the way regardless of whether you have the time or not, all the better, am I right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Rinse
    Rinse
    Dry

That is all

What age of car is this appropriate for?

What age of car is this appropriate for?

Once the car has been suitably prepared, any. But you may want to read Currans post below as it's probably best to wash it properly first before applying the Hydro2foam

"I would definitely wash the car as normal before hand! And then foam its, rub it in with a mitt and rinse off!
    The beauty is, it can be used through a lance, or as a shampoo in the wash bucket, with the same results.
    So you can do it
    - snowfoam, rinse, wash with 2BM, snowfoam with HydrO2Foam, rinse and dry
    - snowfoam, rinse, wash with HydrO2Foam as shampoo and 2BM, rinse and dry"

I actually wonder how many people read the OP and digested it rather than dismissing it.

I read your original post and as far as I was concerned you washed your car the same as I would, you did have all of the right things, i.e. power washer, shampoo, mf sponge, drying towel. A normal wash in every aspect. You stressed that you wanted to be quick and cost effective which is grand.

You basically did a two bucket wash but you didn't use the cheapest and easiest part to obtain which is a second bucket of clean water. It doesn't add any cost or time and is a great way to prevent damage during washing.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you managed to take a simple process and remove the easiest and cheapest step out of it in the name of making it cheaper and quicker? Quite rightly nobody has thanked you for that.

Half way down post #2
    i work away at the bodywork, a 10L bucket full of warm water with 50ml of the same Simoniz shampoo and a wash basin to rinse the sponge in.

I'm off to watch the latest MCM installment.
    Enjoyable!?? :)
    I will honesty do my level best not to reply to this again

No will power then! :pac:

Come on guys, group hug!! And lets move on! :D

Half way down post #2

My bad. I hear washing your car too much makes you go blind!!

Enjoyable!?? :)

Supercharging the Mini hasn't been my favourite series they've done but I really enjoy the camaraderie between the two boys and all the witty banter, that and Dose Vaders level of knowledge.

They peaked as a show with Supergramps I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Just on another note, when using the 2 buckets is the second bucket suppose to be just plain water? I find that doing it this way just washes the shampoo off the mitt when I dip it into the second bucket. Having 2 buckets with shampoo works much better in my experience.

Yep plain water! Its the whole point of having the second bucket to clean the mitt from all the grit/shampoo etc so you can dip it back in to the shampoo bucket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Yep plain water! Its the whole point of having the second bucket to clean the mitt from all the grit/shampoo etc so you can dip it back in to the shampoo bucket

Yep, and if you are a real tightar$e with the wallet and can't afford a second bucket, then do what I do and have washed out an old paint gallon that was going to the bin. We have several now for me to choose from.

If you want cheap grit guards for the bottom of the bucket, use old chinese take-away plastic cartons. Wash them out and make a good few holes (round, long ones, whatever) and place them upside down in the bucket!

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Just on another note, when using the 2 buckets is the second bucket suppose to be just plain water? I find that doing it this way just washes the shampoo off the mitt when I dip it into the second bucket. Having 2 buckets with shampoo works much better in my experience.

Generally the 'rinse' bucket would just be water. You can add shampoo to it if you wish, but after one or two rinses, the water tends to start to look like the water in the 'wash' bucket (as in the suds), only the water is much dirtier.
    Ideally, you shouldnt be dragging water from the 'rinse' bucket to the 'wash' bucket. The mitt should be given a rub with your other hand, to try wash out any dirt or grit, then taken out, and given a squeeze, so not to bring a lot of dirty water into the 'wash' bucket...thus limiting any water staining.

Generally the 'rinse' bucket would just be water. You can add shampoo to it if you wish, but after one or two rinses, the water tends to start to look like the water in the 'wash' bucket (as in the suds), only the water is much dirtier.
    Ideally, you shouldnt be dragging water from the 'rinse' bucket to the 'wash' bucket. The mitt should be given a rub with your other hand, to try wash out any dirt or grit, then taken out, and given a squeeze, so not to bring a lot of dirty water into the 'wash' bucket...thus limiting any water staining.

If you have a grit guard you should give the mitt a rub against it.

True, but I tend to only ever dip the mitt in just enough to submerge it fully...not need to get elbow deep into a 20l bucket to reach the grit guard! :)

soooo anyway. my original wash was the 6th of November, literally hadn't had a minute since and the car was beginning to look like a bit of a state. she has spent a week in Dublin airport long term car park and done maybe 3k miles-ish the vast majority of which was in the rain. i don't need to remind you we had storm Desmond around the end of last week so car washing conditions were not ideal, nor was there really much point in washing it at all but i wanted to get the heavy off of it. So a month to the day later, the 6th of December i went at it.

i didn't take too many photos because we've all seen dirt before, just this one where the leading edge of the spokes were harvesting gravel :pac: being honest, this colour grey hides the dirt like no other, the car never looks "dirty dirty", it's certainly the most presentable colour car i've ever owned.

IMG_20151206_133539.jpg
    IMG_20151206_13353922.jpg

i was working all week and all weekend come to think of it, so i did the absolutely unthinkable. i used my own sponge and the zero bucket method.

IMG_20151206_133705.jpg

i didn't take any photos as there was a bit of a queue and i didn't want to look like a fruit loop taking photos at Tesco car wash, i feel weird enough on my driveway.

the method was simple, rinse the solid debris off with the pressure washer, then rinse it hard with the "shampoo", use my own sponges to work it around and then rinse with the pressure washer once again.

not exactly the safest method but i was feeling like a bit of a loose cannon that day. the chances of minor swirl marks? small to moderate i'd say. how did the shampoo paint stripper white sudsy stuff of unknown composition affect my protection? i'm not so sure.

here are the results after a shower of rain. the beads are certainly not too tight, but considering what the car has been through i think either Jetseal or Demon Shine should increase their prices.

IMG_20151207_101235.jpg
    IMG_20151207_101227.jpg
    IMG_20151207_101221.jpg
    IMG_20151207_101217.jpg

look at the reflection in the drivers door and the wing ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Why would you use a sponge and not a mitt :confused:

Buy this:

http://www.detailingshed.com/washing/36-microfiber-madness-incredimitt.html

You do realise this is the detailing forum :pac:

Why would you use a sponge and not a mitt :confused:

Buy this:

http://www.detailingshed.com/washing/36-microfiber-madness-incredimitt.html

You do realise this is the detailing forum :pac:

because they don't sell mitts at Tesco petrol station.

i'd probably be deemed just as stupid turning up with my microfibre madness incredimitt (should be abbreviated to MMI?) to a Tesco jetwash.

i do realise that and we've been there; a lot of times, if you read back the last few pages.

imo even the most pedantic detailer should enjoy this thread, whether it be to see what can be achieved with **** all equipment, just how hardy products can be, or just to wince at the thought of somebody using a petrol station car wash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

Good job TFB

Washed off dirt with a soft bristle brush then with a cheap car soap and a polish.. Very satisfying getting good results with cheep products.:)

371277.jpg

371278.jpg

the method was simple, rinse the solid debris off with the pressure washer, then rinse it hard with the "shampoo", use my own sponges to work it around and then rinse with the pressure washer once again...........

I could see your point for this entire topic tbh and thought you got a bit of unnecessary lecturing from people loving the soapbox but using a sponge on a car that had 3k miles of roadfilm is a bit mad really.

Augeo wrote: »
    I could see your point for this entire topic tbh and thought you got a bit of unnecessary lecturing from people loving the soapbox but using a sponge on a car that had 3k miles of roadfilm is a bit mad really.

i don't deny that for a second. i guess it's all in the name of messing or something. i reckon she's ok after it, though i do admit it was less than careful. maybe i'm just trolling now :pac:

- so you bought a new sponge, despite owning equipment already (what about the budget)

- using a mitt, why would it be deemed stupid? is it stupid using it on your driveway? wheres the difference?

- he was trolling you ;)

- the most pedantic detailer would enjoy giving some advice on where you might be going wrong, or one or two things to simply improve, even at a jet wash - but they probably wouldnt be listened to! ;)

maybe i'm just trolling now :pac:

Exactly what I thought when I seen the post!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

the most pedantic detailer would enjoy giving some advice on where you might be going wrong, or one or two things to simply improve, even at a jet wash - but they probably wouldnt be listened to! ;)

But that's the thing, with all due respect, I don't think the professionals advice is required in this thread.

• Advertisement

- so you bought a new sponge, despite owning equipment already (what about the budget)

- using a mitt, why would it be deemed stupid? is it stupid using it on your driveway? wheres the difference?

- he was trolling you ;)

- the most pedantic detailer would enjoy giving some advice on where you might be going wrong, or one or two things to simply improve, even at a jet wash - but they probably wouldnt be listened to! ;)

i brought my own sponges :) the same ones from the OP in fact.
    i used my own sponge

not that the mitt would be stupid per se, but more so that it would be like bringing your own bottle of Grand Cru to McDonalds and asking them to pour it into a paper cup with ice and serve it with your Big Mac because Coca Cola upsets your stomach.

the problem may be then Curran, that we don't all need to offer advice all the time. of course advice is generally considered as a positive thing, so it appears to be rude to turn it down.

However sometimes it can be like that friend we all have who keeps trying to sell us Aloe Vera products or Tupperware or Ann Summers; yeah maybe my skin would be softer with that Aloe Vera oil and my corn flakes would stay fresher in that nice tub but for the moment i'm happy with rough skin and putting a clothes peg on the top of the corn flakes bag and i'm sitting here wondering who else is still clothes pegging their corn flakes too and is too nervous to admit it for fear of being lambasted by the Tupperware crew...

like to be brutally honest and to give you a very basic example;

- i said i used a sponge.
    - the first reply from a poster was to a wash mitt on what i understand is your site.

i like my sponge. can we not just continue having a thread about mediocre stuff without the detailing equivalent of the Herbalife crew come raining in on it :)

I would not even like my aspect of this thread to come across as "advice". we know there are plenty of guys with lots of time and big budgets who post on here; i was just wondering what the little guys are doing, so i posted up mine.

I understand that; but advice can be taken or disregarded.

Advice can be as simple as someone saying;
    - 'hey, instead of a sponge, you should use a mitt'
    - 'You you you can pick up collapsible buckets, that you can stick in the boot of your car and take out when at the jet wash"

At no point did anyone say, 'hey, you should get yourself a detailing studio, a light step up that would blind someone from space, a Flex polisher and spend 3 weeks detailing your car'

Any advice, has been a quick and simple tip or trick that may lessen the chances of swirling the paintwork, or whatever.

i was just wondering what the little guys are doing, so i posted up mine.

Thats fair enough!
    But if someone thinks that there is in some way that someone could improve on their wash routine or whatever, its just a friendly bit of advice!

I understand that not everyone has the space, time or budget to do major jobs. I've given people plenty of advice on how to best wash a car with none of the aforementioned!

Some people can only bring their car to a jetwash, but even at that, there are some things you can do to take care of the paintwork when there.
    - avoid using the brushes at the jetwash
    - bring your own wash mitt
    - avoid using the prewash as its TFR and strip away protection, etc
    - only use the fresh water rinse

Or whatever I see that can be easily improved on, I will say it! At no point would I say, the person should go and rent a shed, year round, so they can wash their car once a month, but if someone cant give a bit of friendly advice, on a thread about a basic wash, and that advice was a simple improvement, then I dont know what anyone can do!

job seeker wrote: »
    But that's the thing, with all due respect, I don't think the professionals advice is required in this thread.

What's the point of this thread then? To share experiences and advice no?

Or to brag about doing a poor job and damaging your car :confused:

Thats fair enough!
    But if someone thinks that there is in some way that someone could improve on their wash routine or whatever, its just a friendly bit of advice!

I understand that not everyone has the space, time or budget to do major jobs. I've given people plenty of advice on how to best wash a car with none of the aforementioned!

Some people can only bring their car to a jetwash, but even at that, there are some things you can do to take care of the paintwork when there.
    - avoid using the brushes at the jetwash
    - bring your own wash mitt
    - avoid using the prewash as its TFR and strip away protection, etc
    - only use the fresh water rinse

Or whatever I see that can be easily improved on, I will say it! At no point would I say, the person should go and rent a shed, year round, so they can wash their car once a month, but if someone cant give a bit of friendly advice, on a thread about a basic wash, and that advice was a simple improvement, then I dont know what anyone can do!

I agree 100% - plenty of space on this forum for quick and dirty detailing advice for people with less money and time, definitely.

Advice on making the most out of limited resources is very helpful IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement