Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Azerbaijan's president threatens war with Armenia via Twitter

• 08-08-2014 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Azerbaijan’s president has threatened war with Armenia via Twitter, after dozens were killed in clashes over a disputed area of land that both countries lay claim to.

In a lengthy series of tweets, President Ilham Aliyev said several Azeri lives had been lost in clashes over Nagorno-Karabakh, and pledged to restore what he said was his country’s “territorial integrity”.

The two sides began fighting over the mountainous region in the final years of the USSR. Armenian forces took de facto control of Nagorno-Karabakh, where some 90 per cent of the population is ethnic Armenian, but it remains part of Azerbaijan under law.

A Russia-brokered ceasefire was signed in 1994 after six years of fierce fighting, which claimed the lives of an estimated 30,000 people. The dispute has become one of the world’s ‘frozen conflicts’, and dozens are killed in clashes along the highly-militarised ‘line of contact’ each year.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/07/azerbaijan-president-threatens-war-armenia-twitter

The last thing we need is another war on our doorstep. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Probably emboldened by Putins antics in East Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

gandalf wrote: »
    Probably emboldened by Putins antics in East Ukraine.

Hardly. Russia and Armenia are friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 gagnidze

Although Armenia is very close friend of Russia, Azerbaijan has also strong friend - Turkey.

In my dilettante opinion, there will not be war, because:

Russia does not want to began war, because:

if it help Armenia>>>
    they have already problems in the Ukraine and does not need more, for this time
    factor of Turkey
    factor of Georgia {there are only land between Russia and Armenia - Georgia}

if it does not help>>>
    Karabakh will be lost (for Armenia, and for Russia) very fast >>> Azerbaijan's army is stronger then Armenian

Armenia does not want to begun war, because:
    with high probability they will loss

Georgia does not war, because:
    it burns up conflict in the south Caucasus.

Turkey does not want to begun war:
    in case of war, Turkey must help to Azerbaijani,
    it means to damage relation with Russia.

may be Azerbaijan want to start war :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I taught these 2 countries were still technically at war? I think a negotiated solution is the way to go on this, but my understanding is that the Armenian army didn't just grab the Armenian area of Azerbaijan, but grabbed a whole bunch of other villages etc out side of the that enclave. Without a negotiated solution, I think war will happen sooner or later.

Advertisement