Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No water flow in washing machine

Options
  • 19-03-2014 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Mother needs help with her washing machine and she hasnt the money to get a plumber out!! The water has stopped going into the machine completely when its turned on? the water supply is turned on at the mains! Anybody know whats wrong ?

Thank you if you can help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Did u check the filters etc for blockages? Make sure they are clean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Dub Werke wrote: »
    Mother needs help with her dishwasher and she hasnt the money to get a plumber out!! The water has stopped going into the machine completely when its turned on? the water supply is turned on at the mains! Anybody know whats wrong ?

Thank you if you can help

The thread title says "washing machine" your now talking about a dishwasher, i'll presume dishwasher.

If the machine is full of water at the start then you have a pump issue, if the machine is empty, you can hear it running, then just a humming noise, you then have a water inlet issue.
    Check the water inlet hose for water, check the door is closing correctly, listen to the machine for the humming noise, if you can hear it then the water solenoid valve is attempting to fill, if you hear no humming then its likely to be a water soleniod issue.

Pump or water solenoid will both require a service call.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dub Werke

The thread title says "washing machine" your now talking about a dishwasher, i'll presume dishwasher.

If the machine is full of water at the start then you have a pump issue, if the machine is empty, you can hear it running, then just a humming noise, you then have a water inlet issue.
    Check the water inlet hose for water, check the door is closing correctly, listen to the machine for the humming noise, if you can hear it then the water solenoid valve is attempting to fill, if you hear no humming then its likely to be a water soleniod issue.

Pump or water solenoid will both require a service call.

so sorry its a washing machine , i meant washing machine :o sorry

the water is going into the washing machine but the machine itself is not turning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

What make is the machine and model.

You would also get a better take on this thread if placed in the appliance forum, but we'll crack on until our wonder Mods find this.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Moved from Plumbing and heating

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Could be the door interlock, could be a solenoid, or something else.

Unless you have the appropriate skills it won't be easy for you to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Dub Werke wrote: »
    the water is going into the washing machine but the machine itself is not turning

Thats not what you said in the op.

could be motor (brushes)
    could be belt
    could be timer

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Depending on age of the machine...
    If the motor is not turning then most likely the brushes.
    Easily removed and replaced.

To be honest guys i dont know what yous are saying to me , how much would be to get someone our or will she just better off buying a new one ?

• Advertisement

I would imagine that the cost of a cheap new machine would be about twice the price of a call-out and parts for a simple repair, but that is at best a wild guess without knowing the fault.

It really depends on whether you are willing to pay for someone to look at it and not going ahead with the repair.

If buying a new machine is going to be cheaper than the cost of calling someone out and buying parts etc , i dont see why not like

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Its up to yourself, its your hard earned cash at the end of the day.
    You would have to diagnose the problem first, and you have done a bit of that by telling us that the motor is not turning.
    Therefore it could be the belt or brushes.
    Good Luck

Xantia wrote: »
    Its up to yourself, its your hard earned cash at the end of the day.
    You would have to diagnose the problem first, and you have done a bit of that by telling us that the motor is not turning.
    Therefore it could be the belt or brushes.
    Good Luck
    Yes, if it's a simple fault then it would be cheaper to get it repaired.
    But, not knowing the make, age and what the fault is, it's difficult to say whether it's worth repairing.

i thought i put up the make :confused: will do in a moment

Advertisement